X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy
    Mojave Child
    • Jan 2009

CA Exploration during the summer

I'm looking into doing some exploration on my own during the summer while I'm back at home in Northern California. I've gotten the mine database Mike prepared for CA and have been hunting for something good within reasonable driving distance of my house. I think I'd feel comfortable going with two or three close friends, but would feel even more comfortable if I found a good group around home. How did you guys find the Underground Explorers? What other groups are around in CA? Or should I just give it a shot on my own?
    Andy
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Hey Andy. Glad you are using the mine database. Keep in mind that the mines on there can be exactly on target, or up to 500 yards from the actual location.

Underground Explorers are a great group and good friends. However, I feel you and your friends should give it a shot on your own. Keep together in the mines, make single direction turns at each junction, watch for signs of bad air, and take good lights and a solid hardhat / helmet. You should be just fine. Take a look at the excel file that came with the Google Earth State KML. It will tell you about the mines you are looking to enter, including who owns the property, what type of mine it was, and sometimes the operation dates.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

How did you guys find the Underground Explorers? What other groups are around in CA?
      Mike from the Underground Explorers joined our forum and that's how we got in contact with that group. There are members from other groups around CA on the forum and there is a decent chance that they might see this post and have some advice for you.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• andy
        Mojave Child
        • Jan 2009

Thanks, Mike. Do you know what all of the columns are? Most of them I can figure out without much trouble, but there are a few with letter codes that I'm not sure about. I'm thinking about putting it all into a Sqlite or MySQL database so it can be queried more quickly.

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Use this:

This is the mother file from which I made all my little projects. It has all the information you will need.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• andy
            Mojave Child
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Stuart
            How did you guys find the Underground Explorers? What other groups are around in CA?
            Mike from the Underground Explorers joined our forum and that's how we got in contact with that group. There are members from other groups around CA on the forum and there is a decent chance that they might see this post and have some advice for you.
            Thanks, Stu. If I don't get anything, I'll probably just take Mike's advice and go with my friends from home.
            Are there records of who owns a particular piece of land if it's marked private and doesn't have an owner's name attached? Would I just talk to the county to find that out?

Comment

Working...