Utah Mine Inventory

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

Utah Mine Inventory

Just found this on an AP wire... looks like everything in Utah is dangerous... Very interesting. It appears that Utah is the only state out of all of them that just said... HAH, ALL OF OUR MINES ARE DANGEROUS!!!
    Still thinking of how to leverage this, but good fun nonetheless.

Estimate by the Government Accountability Office of the number of abandoned hardrock mines and hazards by state:

Alaska

Mine sites: 469

Unsafe features: 235

Sites with environmental degradation: 99

---

Arizona

Mine sites: 50,000

Unsafe features: 59,400

Sites with environmental degradation: 9,900

---

California

Mine sites: 47,084

Unsafe features: 164,795

Sites with environmental degradation: 5,200

---

Colorado

Mine sites: 7,300

Unsafe features: 17,000

Sites with environmental degradation: 150

---

Idaho

Mine sites: 7,100

Unsafe features: N/A

Sites with environmental degradation: N/A

---

Montana

Mine sites: 6,000

Unsafe features: 6,000-22,000

Sites with environmental degradation: 331

---

Nevada

Mine sites: 16,000

Unsafe features: 51,000

Sites with environmental degradation: 150

---

New Mexico

Mine sites: 800

Unsafe features: 15,000

Sites with environmental degradation: 200-300

---

Oregon

Mine sites: 3,823

Sites with environmental degradation: 140

---

South Dakota

Mine sites: 950

Sites with environmental degradation: N/A

---

Utah

Mine sites: 17,000

Unsafe features: 17,000

Sites with environmental degradation: 17,000

---

Washington

Mine sites: 3,629

Unsafe features: 1,608

Sites with environmental degradation: 50

---

Wyoming

Mine sites: 956

Unsafe features: 519

Sites with environmental degradation: 437
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

What the hell will they think of next?
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Who comes up with this stuff? All that data is 100% completely useless, I can't believe the AP even bothered to wire this kruft.

Wow, Utah must be a terribly toxic state because all 17,000 of our mines are causing "environmental degradation."
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• one_bad_rover

So the person that turned me on the article explained it like this.. The other states have objectively gone out and assessed their sites. They looked at them and realized that some were not that dangerous.
        Unlike Utah, who obviously didnt even bother to look at the sites and just said they were all dangerous. The raised a few eyebrows at OSMRE. Also, as to the enviromental degradation, that is usually the mines that are putting water into the ground water system. Water that has been "tainted". Taking Utahs assessment from this, you can see also that every mine in utah has water that is seeping out and polluting the underground supply. Its total BS.
        Send a letter, and cc everyone. You can push a letter out from the GRE site, and just edit the existing text, it goes to everyone on the list, and comes from your email address too!!

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

You mean according to this document, the Park City water supply is tainted? Haha oh man. How much do they rely on water from their mines up there?
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• one_bad_rover

yeah and Snowbird as well... the double speak they will can spit is amazing... Maybe we could get them ot close up all the park city and snowbird mines and cut off their water. See how bad they think the mines are at that point...

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

The only tainted mines I can think of that I've ever visited were the Pacific Mine and a couple up Mary Ellen Gulch in AF Canyon. Outside them, I've not seen a 'tainted' mine. Water naturally flows through the rock as it is. In most cases, the fact that there is a hole in the rock does not mean that suddenly the land and water is tainted. On occasion, heavy minerals suspended in the water, which would have been deposited on bedrock or lower layers, will hit tunnels and flow outside the mines, seeping the heavy metals into the land instead of at lower layers. But this is very rare.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
                True Mojave
                • Jul 2008

Not just Park City and ski resort ski making operations... excess water from the Wasatch Drain Tunnel (ie the connection of the Bay City, Emma, Cardiff, etc) end up in Little Cottonwood Creek. They do have processing plants built inside of the mines now, but the water was actually pretty decent quality. Did I mention they still pull minerals out of the water? They have a big filtration system that settles the sediment to the bottom, the sediment contains trace amounts of silver, etc.

That assessment is an absolute joke. How many of Utah's mines are absolutely dry year-round and causing continued environmental problems. Hundreds and hundreds!
                Kurt Williams
                CruiserOutfitters.com
                ExpeditionUtah.com
                MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Kurt, I got a great map of the sells tunnel this weekend and how it intersects with the South Helca tunnel. Its HUGE... We need to plan a full day trip with some climbing resources and map whats left of these mines!!

Comment

• ExpUt
                    True Mojave
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
                    Kurt, I got a great map of the sells tunnel this weekend and how it intersects with the South Helca tunnel. Its HUGE... We need to plan a full day trip with some climbing resources and map whats left of these mines!!
                    Very cool, I would love to check out the map. Coffee one of the next couple of days? I've got an early map of the Sells/Hecla too, along with a packet of other area maps you might enjoy. I picked up a dozen copies and would be more than happy to give you one, you've shared tons of info my way its the least I could do. LMK.
                    Kurt Williams
                    CruiserOutfitters.com
                    ExpeditionUtah.com
                    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Kelly Rees
                      Mojave Teen
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
                      Corey, what do you need for climbing resources? E-mail me.
                      www.wasatchsport.com
                      PM me for special Mojave Underground pricing on all of your climbing/exploring needs.

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Kelly speaking of climbing resources, I am looking to buy two petzl STOP descenders, a chest harness with roller, and a couple basic petzl ascenders. Got anything like that?
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC
                        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Kelly Rees
                          Mojave Teen
                          • Feb 2009

I dont have Petzl but I can set you up with as good or better.

I dont use a caving brake. I usually just use my little $13.00 ABC belay but I have one of these also with an autobrake that works really nice. It's the SUM.

www.wasatchsport.com
                          PM me for special Mojave Underground pricing on all of your climbing/exploring needs.

Comment

• trentaiken
                            Mojave Child
                            • Jan 2009

I think you could leverage it by asking for the documentation and justification that lead them to the decision that all sites were dangerous. I.E. In order to make that determination, all sites should have been visited, photographed, evaluated, open for public comment, then a status determined.

To make a determination Cart Blanche is prejudicial and can not hold up to scientific scrutiny.
                            Try it once to see if you like it or not, maybe twice to be sure

Comment

Working...