X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Twas an interesting day for sure... we just so happened to run into him while driving down a back road near the Tintic Standard Mine. We also explored the Lilly mine and the Upper Lilly Mine. The upper Lilly has an odd shaft that has alot of heat rising up and one of the more unusual odors I've ever encountered. So here he is looking straight down the center of the shaft... If anyone here hasn't done this yet you need to go experience it before it becomes off limts. The town of Eureka could probably put up a ticket booth and sell tickets so people could do this

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

If I remember correctly the Lilly a lot of geothermal activity in it. I guess it was a miserable place to work.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike Schriber
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2008

Wow! Me want in!

Mike

Originally posted by Mark1955
        Twas an interesting day for sure... we just so happened to run into him while driving down a back road near the Tintic Standard Mine. We also explored the Lilly mine and the Upper Lilly Mine. The upper Lilly has an odd shaft that has alot of heat rising up and one of the more unusual odors I've ever encountered. So here he is looking straight down the center of the shaft... If anyone here hasn't done this yet you need to go experience it before it becomes off limts. The town of Eureka could probably put up a ticket booth and sell tickets so people could do this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/...8ee15908_b.jpg
        Underground Explorers
        California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

I guess geothermal might be a good explanation for the oddity going on there... I don't know if I'd even go down in it myself without a respirator... The upper Lilly where the heat is escaping from has a rather large tailings pile but the lower Lilly is massive and I'd estimate the tailings pile at 300' high and perhaps 1/6 mile square. The Tinitc Standard was so large that the railroad ran to the mine and the conveyors are still standing there waiting to fill more cars with ore. I'll have to go on Minedat and see if these mines are listed there... am curious what they got out of them.

Mark

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

OK I got a little more clarification from the guys at work about this. The Lilly was being used as a ventilation shaft for the Bergen which has very hot geothermal water at the bottom levels. So natural convection could easily still be causing the Lilly to ventilate the Bergen.
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• John
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Oct 2008

Also heard that the Lilly itself was hot & shut down after a couple miners died of heat exhaustion.

Lots of stories out there about that mine & I have no idea what to actually believe.

Been fascinated by that particular hole since I was a very young kid though. Then again I've been very into the Tintic area because my grandfather would drive me around out there & tell me about his time working in them.

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

We went back today to the upper Lilly and Tintic Consolidated. I'd estimate the heat rising out of the Upper Lilly to be at least 130 degrees. Standing back a distance one can see the heat waves rising against the hills in the background if the wind is still. It has the oddest odor... I believe it may be a lead mine as I found some ore that I am pretty sure has lead running through it. It's not silver and it's not Galena...

At the Tintic Consolidated we were wandering around and my wife stayed back at the car. A guy in a red Dodge pulled up and told her that we had better all leave or he'd call the sherrif... that they had over 200K worth of equipment stolen. Now I had no idea who this guy was but probably not the owner of the land or claim holder on the mines. Since there ARE quite a number of No Tresspassing signs around the area we did pack off.... but all we were doing up there was taking pictures and shooting some video. We left and went over to Mammoth and then to Scranton where no one bothered us...

Mark

Comment

Working...