• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentaiken
    Mojave Child
    • Jan 2009

MINE AIR POSTING SERIES

MINE AIR

Greetings All! I am a new member to Mojave Underground, I want to begin by thanking all for the warm welcome I received.

After a couple of short email conversations with Stuart he asked that write a short article on Mine Air. How could I resist?

So, I have decided to do this writing in a few small articles. Each will be a little blurb on some of the aspects of mine ventilation and mine gases. It is nice to know what one might run into.

With some 20,000 mine opening in Utah to explore, it never hurts to have a bit of knowledge

Lets face it, our hobby is not one that is often viewed unkindly by some, (DOGM for instance) The better knowledge we have and can represent ourselves the more places we can access.

Entry areas, areas that are exposed to two or more openings, and areas that experience temperature variations are often naturally ventilated.

Aspiration occurs when the temperature of the mine in comparison to the changing ambient temperature outside can create a natural air movement.

Some areas however, such as a blind stopes, drifts etc. may no experience ventilation. In these areas buildup of various gasses can occur. I will cover some of this in a later article.

Let’s look at one interesting Mine Air occurrence; stratification.

Normally, air, once mixed will stay mixed. However, in a mine with very little ventilation, stratification can occur. This is where the air can become “layered” due to the mass of the molecules that are in normal air.

Lets look at a Drift that follows an up and down undulation while chasing an ore seam. Imagine a Sin Wave type of path

The air can separate (Stratify) much like oil and water separate. This is due to the mass of the different molecules that make up the air we breath.

As you can see below, the Mass of the different molecules can create a settling in various areas.

N2 = 14.0067 + 14.0067 =28.0134
    O2 = 15.9994 + 15.9994 =31.9988
    CO2 = 12.0107 + 15.9994 + 15.9994 =44.0095

So, you can have pockets of N2 in upper areas, O2 in the Middle, and CO2 in low areas.

Now this may not be a common occurrence, but it is one to be aware of and is just kind of interesting. The risk that this carries is experiencing asphyxiation symptoms due to displaced oxygen. Below are the symptoms.

20.9% Normal Air Percentage
    19.5% Minimum Safe Entry Level
    18-19% Poor coordination.
    17% Fatigue
    16.25% Mine Permissible Safety Lamp extinguishes.
    16% Fatigue
    12-16% Rapid Pulse, Labored Breathing
    10-12% Very Fast, Deep Respiration, Lips Turn Blue, Headache
    8-10% Fainting, Unconsciousness, Nausea, Vomiting
    6-8% Your own “Light” goes out in 8 minutes.

So in our explorations, it is something to be mindful of although it of course is not meant to deter us.

An O2 Meter, A Canary (yes a canary, they still work just fine), or a Mine Safety Lamp can warn us of areas where oxygen has been displaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGipSCHXMbE (Thanks Stuart) This is an informative (if dated and dull) video on Mine Safety Lamps.

Next up…well, I am not sure, CO2, maybe CO, who knows.
    Try it once to see if you like it or not, maybe twice to be sure
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Thanks for writing this Trent!

Our good friend Harley told me just yesterday the exact location of a small stope inside the Ophir Hill that has a possible Stratification problem. He said upon entering the stope he stirred up the air and after a short period of time experienced poor coordination, fatigue, and disorientation. He left the stope, but he said it took him about a half hour to recover enough to begin walking out of the mine. When my new meter arrives it would be interesting to return to that area, cautiously of course, and see what we find.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Thanks Trent.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• RedRockXJ
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2008

Great info!
        Josh
        - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Very good information. Thank!
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• konigstigerii
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2008

Good info

Wheres a good place to find on O2 meter or mine safety lamp? I looked but can't find much online.

Comment

• trentaiken
              Mojave Child
              • Jan 2009

There are several places you can locate ones, Safety Supply Shops, Mining Suppliers, or any industry that deals with confined spaces. They are a bit expensive new however.

I have found the best option is to look on Ebay, you can usually locate one there.

Comment

• tunnel rat
                Mojave Teen
                • Sep 2008

I use an Industrial Scientific M-40 gas meter it will monitor 4 gases at the same time and will run about 20 hours on a charge. I got mine at industrial supply 1700s 300w SLC, they are a bit spendy at $500 but well worth it if it saves your life and it gives you some added security too.
                To take no chances in life, is to have no chance at life.
                Shawn
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• trentaiken
                  Mojave Child
                  • Jan 2009

Tunnel Rat, IM me at trentaiken on yahoo

Comment

• konigstigerii
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Dec 2008

ok thanks. 500 is a bit too much for my budget, but I had no idea on price for them, so I'll take a look around on ebay

Comment

Working...