• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedRockXJ
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2008

Yankee Mine?

Whats the story of the Yankee Mine at Mary Ellen Gulch in AF Canyon? Anyone been there? Is there open access?
    Josh
    - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Where should I start

You should come on a tour up there with us next year, I did a really neat one last year (at least I think it was) for the U4WDA convention (that when JoJo took that photo at the old house aka Mary Ellen Hilton).

Its is open, but it is caved ~30ft in. Beyond the cave I theorize it is flooded to the ceiling. Maps show it connecting in some fashion with the Globe higher on the hill, I haven't found where a link could have been but you never know. I have a few hunches but I need to spend some more time up there.

I've got stacks and stacks of information about the gulch, but honestly I'm keeping most of it under wraps until the book is ever finished, notice I say "ever" as I've really been dragging. Stephen Nelson (history dude) has been helping me over the past couple months and we are actually meeting again this next week to get some work done on the book. I'm actually starting to see light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

As far as mine exploration in AFC plenty to see & do. I'd love to show around the MU group when the snow melts this next year.

In the meantime there is some great info here:
    The Four Wheel Drive Community of the Rocky Mountains!

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have, assuming of course I have an answer, if not I'll make one up that sounds right
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• RedRockXJ
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2008

Well, Kurt.. as always I'm quite impressed with your knowledge. I say the MU crew makes first reservations with you and Mike to take us to the AF area as soon as the snow is clear.
      Josh
      - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

I'd love to show around the MU group when the snow melts this next year.
        Lets get it scheduled! I have been wanting to go up there with you since I first heard about your knowledge of the area. We can put together a nice little trip and do some good off-roading, camping, history talk, and mine exploring! Hopefully by then we will have a good HD camera to shoot some video and interviews and do a little piece on the history of the canyon.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...