• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konigstigerii
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Metropolis and Alabama Mining district

This was a very fun trip, Metropolis doesn't have any mines, but I want to include the whole trip in one post.

This was the first time we used the laptop with google earth and a GPS to navigate, we had some issues at first, so it took us awhile to find metropolis, but figured it out and everything worked good after that. Soon as we found it, and stopped, a sheriff pulled up and asked what we were doing, we told him and he said ok and went on his way. He was in a dodge durango, so we made sure we camped where he couldn't go haha. We only checked out the hotel and the school, other than that we didn't see much. People still live kind close to the ghost town which I thought was surprising. Here's some pics

hotel:

School:

We then went to the abandoned dam, which was pretty cool, still had water in it. There was a private property sign on the road going to it, but it basically said to just be respectful of the area so it can stay open for use, which we always do going anywhere. Had to cross the river 3 times, and go thru a swamp at the base, and the road to the top was narrow and rough.

river crossings

Below the dam

the swamp below:

I got stuck there leaving because I followed my buddy to close and lost momentum, would of been fine other wise, it was an easy pull out.

front side of dam

Atop of the dam:

the lake and backside:

dam repelling:

Next is Alabama mining district

Lots of cool rock formations, just a few of the pics:

Mines in the area were old, many dropped down about 20 feet then went sideways, even thought we had the stuff to do it, we didn't as they did not look safe. Some were fenced off.

Old cabin

Scenery:
    By China mountain

some rocks

8,192 feet on top of Blanchard Mountain and you can't see one building or city

the road that took us near the top of Blanchard mountain was steep, took us over 1000 feet in less than a mile.
    heres looking down at our trucks (not on top of the mountain yet):

I have more photos, but I think this is good for my long post lol. This was one of the most fun trips we been on, lots of dirt roads in Alabama mining district. Even though the mountains were mostly sage brush and rock, I think It had beautiful scenery.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow amazing photos. Looks like quite the adventure. Ghost towns, wheelin, and exploring, right up my alley. Thanks for the post!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

That abandoned dam is awesome! Thanks for the posts, this is really good content. I can't wait to meet you!
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Metropolis has always been on my list to do even though it is not a mining area. Thanks for the post.
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

MetropolisTabor Creek is a neat area to explore. My inlaws family homesteaded in the area, they would ride the train from SLC into Metropolis and then take a wagon out to their property (closer to Tabor Creek City). FWIW the private property owners get a bit miffed when folks bog through the swamp in the wet months (it flushes a lot of crap down the river which is still used for irrigation and livestock), that the exact reason they've wanted to close it over the years, something to keep in mind next time your up that way.

Did you stop and enjoy the hot springs? (1/2 way between the lower diversion dam and the actual dam?), its a nice refreshing place to shake off some dust.

Glamour shot of my wife with her firearms at the diversion dam years ago.
          l
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• konigstigerii
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2008

ExpUt, I did not know that about going thru when It is wet, We saw a guy fishing by where you're talking about, he just waved and smiled, so we didn't think anything of going thru the mud. That is good to know, but I doubt I will go back there anyways as its a long drive, and already seen it. The water is kinda mucky though, at one river crossing I was following my friend, then for no reason he stopped right before he hit the water. I was like wtf? So I radioed him and he said he has to let the foam pass haha. then a huge glob of foam went floating down the river... kinda gross

If they don't want people going thru the swamp, maybe they should consider posting a sign about that, If we read that we would of respected it.

we didn't stop at the hot springs, just looked, we wanted to get to Alabama mining district before it got dark.

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by konigstigerii
              ...If they don't want people going thru the swamp, maybe they should consider posting a sign about that, If we read that we would of respected it....
              With all do respect, the sign with "respect private property" was probably placed to do just that Neither here nor there, it was obviously an honest mishap and by next spring the ruts through the swamp area will be long gone. No harm no foul.

I think the foam is related to the sulfur and the hot springs, where the water originates from the mountain it can be VERY hot, the mix it with water from the river to have a nice relaxing but bearable hot spring.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• konigstigerii
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
                ...If they don't want people going thru the swamp, maybe they should consider posting a sign about that, If we read that we would of respected it....
                With all do respect, the sign with "respect private property" was probably placed to do just that Neither here nor there, it was obviously an honest mishap and by next spring the ruts through the swamp area will be long gone. No harm no foul.

I think the foam is related to the sulfur and the hot springs, where the water originates from the mountain it can be VERY hot, the mix it with water from the river to have a nice relaxing but bearable hot spring.
                Yeah it was, I didn't even think about the crud washing down thru the river. The ruts were pretty much gone after we went thru it, it was pretty slimy

Heres the path we took, The red is where it was really slimy and where I got stuck, blue was either dry or just damp, but not muddy. We tried to take the easiest way (and therefor the driest), so it was a ways a way from the main flow so I hope we didn't do any harm.

The foam though was pretty funny to watch float down the river, you had to be there

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

I'm sure all is well. Its really a neat area just on its remoteness alone. I've been out there on "busy" holiday weekends and there won't be a soul around Metropolis or Tabor Creek. Wells itself is a pretty neat place to poke around too, lots of old buildings and neat old storefronts. Sadly the earthquake last year really trashed some of the historic buildings... As the town has been dying for many years financially I doubt there is much budget to fix any of them.
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• konigstigerii
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Dec 2008

I agree... we didn't do much in wells, just got gas and food. Alabama Mining district was pretty remote as well, we saw only one person out there when we left. Like I said, from Blanchard mountain, we couldn't see one building or city... it was awesome!

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

I agree... we didn't do much in wells, just got gas and food. Alabama Mining district was pretty remote as well, we saw only one person out there when we left. Like I said, from Blanchard mountain, we couldn't see one building or city... it was awesome!
                      I'll have to hit you up for some info before I head out that way next. I've never been to the Alabama Mining district but have always wanted to venture that way. Your pictures have me seriously jonesin' for some Nevada desert solitude.
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Your pictures have me seriously jonesin' for some Nevada desert solitude.
                        Yes, they seriously have me wanting to head out there bad. Our trip out there in October really made me realize how desolate Nevada can be. 200 miles of dirt road and not one vehicle in site the whole time! I'm getting excited for our road trip in February, wherever we end up I hope its dry and desolate.
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC
                        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• konigstigerii
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2008

Can do, I get get you the info on where it is... it took me awhile to figure it all out. I plotted the general path on google earth so I can give you coordinates or what ever to that area or things. You would definatly want to go when its dry... a lot of the roads are narrow, and the hills can be steep.

I like the desert for some reason... I guess so so far away from anyone, and I think it can be beautiful in its own way that others don't see.

Comment

Working...