• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konigstigerii
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Death Canyon, two trips

This was the first place I've been on my own, when I was younger I went to a mine in bishop California with my parents. I'll try to keep the story short, but We decided to go there because it looked good, and I kinda know how to get there (at least to the sand dunes). I planned the route on google earth, which I didn't know chooses the shortest path, not the best. We ended up going on a road that was barely there, going thru a deep ditch, only to go back to the nice dirt road... lol. I found the entrance because of the leaning fence post I read about.

(we planned well but didn't have a good camera)

First thing we came up to, a small shed:

Then a large wooden structure

a collapsed mine behind the wooden structure;

looking back from the collapsed mine:

Access to a caved in mine, we climbed down the ladder but didn't go in;

A mine still open, had good airflow thru it, but was collapsed in not to far in, lots of scaffolding, but didn't dare climb any of it. Should of taken more pics, but only had a crappy camera phone:

Looking out of death canyon on a small road that went up, our trucks would of fit, but no where to turn around, at the end of the trail another caved in mine

An old cabin:

It was november, and really cold, got as low as 4 degrees the night we stayed. Cattle go thru the area, and we ended up burning dryed up cow pies, which are clean burning surprisingly.

Came back, had fun but were disappointed with the offroad aspect, so we hit up utah lake on the way back:

The second time we went wasn't planned, we were going to go somewhere else but one guy flaked out on us, so we went to death canyon again lol. We found another mine, on top of a hill we had to hike to, it was pretty cool, and had multiple entrances. Found another one, but the air seemed stale, and some of the timbers were knocked over so we didn't go in, but maybe 30 feet. appeared to be a deep mine, so would be worth it to go back properly equipped to explore. No pics of that, sorry.

But we found cool mountain south of death canyon:

hollow rock

We got stuck twice this time, once in a swamp, another in snow:
    swamp was just my buddy, it was easy to get him out, but he almost lost his front bumper. We go to it squeezing thru a four wheeler fence opening, and rode a narrow trail to it, very narrow, we got many new scratches. Crossed the swamp, but the road ened. My GPS showed a road not very far from where we were, so I hiked over to look, and it was there, plotted a good path and slowly went to the road.

Second time we were trying to go to where we though some other mines were, but the roads were packed with snow. I was breaking the trail and decided we should not go any further. My buddy disagrees, goes about 200 yards further down hill and got stuck. Long story short took us several hours to get him out. Soon as we got out, headed back and there was a truck stuck, these people were lucky we were there, middle of no where and they had not one shovel or glove or anything. Took everything our trucks had to get him out.

you can see me in the background stuck too, I was trying to back up to him to hook up, but it wasn't going to work, I left my truck alone, incase we couldn't get his out.

[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/Konigstigerii/death%20canyon/Really********************instuck.jpg[/img]

Hope this post wasn't too long!
    Both times were fun, and I believe there is still more to be explored, and may go back again.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Looks like you need some big-o XT tires on that there rig Got me through stuff I never thought I'd get through.

Death Canyon is another area I have not yet been to. Might hit it up this upcoming year.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• konigstigerii
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2008

I currently have BFG All terrains all around, those trips though I had BFG mud in the rear and AT up front.... The ATs hold up great though, only got flats on the last set when they were bald. I like the muds, but I keep putting large holes in them.

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Not bad pictures for a camera phone! Its good you had something with you to capture all that mud. We need to go check this area out some more when it melts a bit.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• konigstigerii
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2008

I was thinking of going back this summer or spring. There are more mines that we saw but didn't look at. From what I read there are a lot more mines in that area, thats why we got stuck on the snow roads.. trying to get into the general area for the other mines.

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

I was thinking of going back this summer or spring. There are more mines that we saw but didn't look at. From what I read there are a lot more mines in that area, thats why we got stuck on the snow roads.. trying to get into the general area for the other mines.
            We have been talking about making a trip out there all year, so we should actually set a date and go out there late this spring before DOGM destroys everything.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• konigstigerii
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Dec 2008

I agree... damn gov.... I need to talk with my buddies to see what they think about going there again.

Comment

• Kelly Rees
                Mojave Teen
                • Feb 2009

Floyd Mann has a bunch of claims out there. Something like 140 acres in Death Canyon. He's making a bunch of improvements, should be a cool place to explore. I'm probably heading out there next weekend for a couple days. Theres some verticals he wants to know whats in the bottom of.
                www.wasatchsport.com
                PM me for special Mojave Underground pricing on all of your climbing/exploring needs.

Comment

• konigstigerii
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Dec 2008

well last year in march there was still snow in death canyon. I drove kinda past the area this weekend and there was snow in the mountains in that area. So if you do go make sure to have a 4wd or plan on hiking in snow/mud.

Does he plan on start mining out there again?

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by konigstigerii
                    well last year in march there was still snow in death canyon. I drove kinda past the area this weekend and there was snow in the mountains in that area. So if you do go make sure to have a 4wd or plan on hiking in snow/mud.

Does he plan on start mining out there again?

I was out there a couple weeks ago, and with the snow we got this morning, I'd say it's probably a foot deep where the sun doesn't hit. There were a few places my 4-wheeler couldn't go any further. Getting to the Bar X mine shouldn't be a problem though.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Floyd is an active member on my forum, he's offered to let us check out his claims (no shooting though). If your interested in getting a hold of him I can help connect the dots
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• konigstigerii
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Dec 2008

ok cool, does he like people to notify or get permission to explore the mines in the area? As we would like to go back to death canyon again in the future.

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
                          (no shooting though)
                          Guns????
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• The Raider
                            Mojave Baby
                            • Nov 2008

hey fellas when you go out to death canyon count me in. I'm going down to cedar before too long to trade out my car for my truck and four wheeler. I'm going to follow some spanish symbols I run across last fall. Also explore some of the mines up above marion. I have a friend who found it, and was chased out by a bear.
                            >>----->

Comment

• ExpUt
                              True Mojave
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by konigstigerii
                              ok cool, does he like people to notify or get permission to explore the mines in the area? As we would like to go back to death canyon again in the future.
                              It would be a good idea. There are several other active mine claims in the area, Floyd would likely know how to contact them too.

Originally posted by cheever
                              Guns????
                              Yes sir, I believe Floyd is out there quite a bit and doesn't like people shooting on his claims.
                              Kurt Williams
                              CruiserOutfitters.com
                              ExpeditionUtah.com
                              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...