Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Mojave Mine Team in the Miners Delight:: Video

An excerpt from the exploration journal of Mike "Dudefish" Capps:

November 21st, 2008

We explored more into the upper regions of the Ophir Hill Mine today. We entered through the standard main haulage tunnel, and ventured into the Blue Room, which is found by taking the right hand turn next to the square water bin and compressor. Up from the Blue Room, following the Blue Vein, we entered a tunnel to the right, which requires crossing a shaft of about 20' in depth. This incline tunnel, known as Crystals Incline, goes for about 500', where it comes to a three way fork. At the center of this fork is an old air piston driven hoist, and a rusted out ore cart. On a previous trip, we ventured to the left, but today, we decided to go straight. The tunnel we took was hot and wet, but opened up into a large stoping we had visited a couple years ago. A blue stream of copper flows in this room, and cascades much like a mini version of Mammoth Hot Springs of Yellowstone. The route we had taken in the past was to the right; we decided to venture to the left this time. (We always try to take lefts when exploring an area we have not been to before.) We followed a trail that had been warn into the tailing, and squeezed through some very tight sections that were heavy with air flow. At the top of our crawl, written in carbide was the text "Miners Delight".

The Miners Delight mine is one of the older mines in the Ophir region. It is a sister mine to the Wild Delirium mine, and we found it to be quite delightful of a mine ourselves! There were two levels to this section. Stuart and Miah took the upper level, while Crystal, Shawn, and I took the main level. Crystal found a couple old bottles from around the 1920's to the 1940's. I took a quick split at the first t we came to, heading to the left. The tunnel I took lead about 150', where it opened up to a section of the Blue Vein. In here is an ore cart, of fairly good condition. I pushed it around for a bit and found the wheels to spin quite well. I met back up with Crystal and Shawn. We continued straight down the main tunnel and found Stu and Miah about 30' up above us. Eventually, we found another very large stope which is leeching heavily with copper. Deep and dark blue and green copper sulfides, contrasted against the bright white of calcite, made for quite a site. A seam in the rocks produced amazing stalactites of copper calcite. We eventually turned around and met back up with Stu and Miah, then promptly returned to Mike's Ore Cart Room, as we now call it. We gathered together for a group picture, pushed each other around in the ore cart for a bit, and eventually began winding our way back out. In my Ore Cart Room, there is a small opening to the left of the cart, on the right side of the room, where one can drop down a short section and return to one of the main tunnels up from Crystal's Incline. We carefully scaled down this section, back down Crystal's Incline, and returned out from the mine to get some sleep.

And the Video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-od0k-QJo[/youtube]

-Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Miners delight is really amazing. There is still a ton to be seen there. Can't wait to go back! I just hit 600 posts!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

great video Mike - I wish I could edit and mix audio like you (where DO you find these audio tracks?) it was a delight!
      Miah
      Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• FrAcTaL
        Mojave Child
        • Nov 2008

I spoke with my neighbor (Andrew Ault)...Leo Ault is my neighbors, father's uncle. He had nothing but good things to say about him. Score!
        FrAcTaL

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Whoa whoa whoa, that was my journal entry, the editing was done by Stu!
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mikezauner
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Jun 2008

Now I really wish I could have gone to that. That looks amazing.

What song was that that was used in the video?
            Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Crystal

The song is called Carbon (Album version) by Vnv Nation on the album Future Perfect.
              The song goes really well with the video, especially if you listen to the words. Great job Stuart!!

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

My mistake, props to Stu for sure! Good Job! I am still muddling my way through my footage to try to get something up...I'm a little slow as you all know!
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• rhartill
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

Why is it called Miner's ?

Mike, I think we had a conversation inside the mine where you told me or began to tell me why it's called the Miner's Delight. Can you retell the reason why its' called the Miner's Delight?

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Well my personal reasons for it being called the miners delight is because of all the rich minerals in it. Some of the stopes are just seeping with minerals even still. Its a fun mine at that, too
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• RockRacer
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Abandoned mine + VNV Nation = AWESOMENESS!!

I shot video the entire time we were in Lucky Strike but I am having a hard time editing since a lot of the footage didn't turn out very well. Good job on the footage and editing.
                      Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Thanks!

I know what you mean with the footage not turning out well. Its hard to get good footage underground without either an amazing camera or tons of light. You might want to consider mounting more and brighter lights on your helmet or getting a really bring spotter like my 900 lumen Trustfire. It is also nice to shoot video when there is a large group because it throws a lot more light around. I hope you can get you video up soon!
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC
                        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• iamsquat
                          Mojave Teen
                          • Jun 2008

when is the next time that you are planning on going up in there? Sounds like it would be a fun trip!

Comment

Working...