• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Feature Film shot in Ophir Hill

An independent feature film was partially shot in the Ophir Hill Mine, just last week. The Mojave Underground Mojave Mine Team oversaw the production and provided safety training and instruction inside and outside the mine, and assured that there would be absolutely no safety incidents of any kind while the cast and crew were underground. Most of the production was done about 3500' into the mine.

"The Mine" is a film about a group of High School teenagers who set out on an annual Halloween adventure. The main character determines an old and haunted abandoned mine to be the perfect place to take his friends and their dates, and enters the mine beforehand to set up some 'traps'. But little does he know, there is more to this mine than he suspected. Its a horror film about escaping a haunted mine that doesn't want its occupants to leave. The films cast have worked on many other feature films, such as Pearl Harbor, Spy Kids 1-3, and a couple other bigger films that I can't remember for some reason.

Our team, along with a rigger from the film crew, reconstructed older areas of the mine, such as a bridge the cast were to run across, a partially caved section of the mine, and ground hazards that we determined to be unsafe for high traffic usage. Generators were used inside the mine to provide light and other forms of power. Air quality monitors sampled the air at all times to assure all gases were under full MSHA standards.

Seeing the interior of that mine lit up with powerful film lights was an amazing sight, and likely not one I reckon I'll see for a while. It truly showed the glory and majesty the chasms this mine contained. It will be fun to watch the final product, which is set to release sometime next year, likely around October.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDQunE-WE0[/youtube]
    Rebuilding the bridge. (Thanks Stu for editing! )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ZjrEbpesU[/youtube]
    On the Film Set. (Thanks Stu for editing! )
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I love that first picture! I crack myself up with my editing.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Very cool guys! So did they pay for your services or did you volunteer them for some good experience? Regardless its very neat to hear your name is getting out there. I assume the Aults hooked you up with the job or did you bring them to the Ophir Hill?
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

A member of our team was contacted regarding filming inside the Ophir Hill Mine. He contacted Leo and secured permission for the crew to enter into the mine.

Most of the work was volunteer, but a couple of us were able to stay the entire week and were paid to assure everyone was safe while underground. It was fun indeed!
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Great job you guys - we'll see if this is a "coming soon to the $.99 bin at WalMart" kind of movie or something just straight to dvd...Any way you slice it this shows that these places are important to us here in the state as well as to outside entities who sought us out to be a part of their production because of our expertise and experience. Should we loose-out on these opportunities in the future because mines are potentially dangerous and sit squarely in the crosshairs of numerous state and federal agencies? I think not. Good work!
          Miah
          Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mike Schriber
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2008

We ran into the same crew filming at the War Eagle mine in Tecopa, CA. They were going to move onto the Noonday next.

They did some small scale reconstruction in the War Eagle, covering some holes and repairing the door on a strongroom.

If the timing had been a little different, we might have come up out of either mine right into their shoot. I'm not sure who would have been surprised more!

Mike
            Underground Explorers
            California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Stuart
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

They did some small scale reconstruction in the War Eagle, covering some holes and repairing the door on a strongroom.
              All the reconstruction done inside the Ophir Hill was mainly done by Mojave Underground. I wonder who they got to do their gimp work out there in California

If the timing had been a little different, we might have come up out of either mine right into their shoot. I'm not sure who would have been surprised more!
              Funny, we were exploring and running around inside the mine the whole time they were filming in the Ophir. I'm surprised we didn't interrupt them more with all our noise and bright lights.
              -Stuart Burgess
              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
              Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Dec 2008

If things had been just a little different we would have surprised them (or they would have surprised us). We were out at the Noonday and were thinking of entering the Grant and moving through and down to the War Eagle. We decided to save that for another day and look around the Noonday more. We were going to get our ropes and descend the two decline shafts but were were still tired from spending twelve hours in the Columbia the day before. If we'd done that we would have still been down there when they started filming. I can see it now... get that rope out of my shot! Just cut the darn thing!

They were packing up to go over to the Noonday so we didn't spend much time talking. We didn't know about the "improvements" until the next day so I didn't know to ask. It looks like they did a fair bit of filming on the second level near the double track incline shaft.

I'll be looking to see if that movie ever comes out!

Mike
                Underground Explorers
                California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• RedRockXJ
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Jun 2008

Guys this is so cool! When will this film be complete? I want to see it!
                  Josh
                  - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• RockRacer
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RedRockXJ
                    Guys this is so cool! When will this film be complete? I want to see it!
                    I don't think it's coming out till around halloween.
                    Here is a little more info. IMDB.

I noticed that there isn't a "V" next to the title making it seem like it may not go straight to DVD?? Maybe it's just to soon and it hasn't been updated?? Any comments on that?
                    Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• UnderUtah
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jun 2008

That's movie industry speak for "straight to the $.99 bin at a WalMart near you." I want to see it simply because it was filmed in the Ophir Hill, I don't think there's much more merit in it than that...
                      Miah
                      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Well, after February you will also want to see it because it was filmed in the War Eagle. We will be visiting both locations more by chance than by the film.

Looks like they haven't given me credit yet!
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• RockRacer
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart

Looks like they haven't given me credit yet!
                          Stuart, that is impressive! You better get on that sooner than later to get your credit for this one. I saw some Mike Capps also. Is that THE Mike Capps?

Miah, I was wondering about the fact that it didn't have a "V" next to it. What do you think? Do you think it's naive to think it may be in a theater or two? Seems like it could be worth wild to put it in a few theaters in UT at least...
                          Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• UnderUtah
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jun 2008

Perhaps, my little quip was really just a joke...or was it? It just seems like the movie is of the same caliber as "Step-up 4," "Bring It 3 - Bringin' it to Detroit," and the entierty of Tyler Perry's straight-to-video portfolio. It's not "Titanic" or "Gone With the Wind." You can always hope for the best!
                            Miah
                            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• RockRacer
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by UnderUtah
                              Perhaps, my little quip was really just a joke...or was it? It just seems like the movie is of the same caliber as "Step-up 4," "Bring It 3 - Bringin' it to Detroit," and the entierty of Tyler Perry's straight-to-video portfolio. It's not "Titanic" or "Gone With the Wind." You can always hope for the best!
                              HAHA, nice! I gotcha. I am sure you're right. But, we can hope...
                              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...