• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Ophir Hill Report with underground MAPS

The Bureau of Mines issued RI 4072 in 1947 after conducting extensive diamond core drilling underground in the Ophir Hill Mine. I recently picked this publication up on the internet, scanned it, and have posted it on Scribd:

The Bureau of Mines investigated the Ophir Hill Mine in Ophir, Utah during WWII for its potential to yield additional Zn and Pb reserves for the war effort. Hundreds of diamond drill holes were drilled underground. This is the report and results of the drilling, and several pictures and an underground map accompany the report.

What is interesting about this is that it has an underground map and several photos, one of which is the great room with a hoist room at the top of the stairs.

I will get a higher res scan of the underground map and post it shortly...
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow this is amazing Russ. I've been looking for this type of article for quite some time now. Will continue perusing the article
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

We aim to please! (I lucked into this by "mining" my contacts in the used mineral report booksellers business) Bumped into onebadrover on ebay tonight bidding on the same stuff I was too! I am scanning in a Professional Paper on Cottonwood-American Fork next from 1944, and I have a Professional Paper on order for the Gold Hill District as well. Keep diggin!

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Great work Russ! I love that picture of the big room! It looks the same today as it did back then, minus the walls on the shaft house. I've spend a good amount of time now studying the map and I think I am making sense of it, but I need to see the high res scan to use it for any practical exploration. Great Job!
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• UnderUtah
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Russ

Thanks for the work in obtaining this document! We have been searching for ANYTHING resembling a decent map of the workings for a while now! You are an amazing researcher!!
          Miah
          Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

A large scan of the Ophir Hill workings. Click on it twice for the largest view.

-Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by rhartill
              ... I am scanning in a Professional Paper on Cottonwood-American Fork next from 1944
              Calkins/Buttler PP201? If so I have it in a pdf format if scanning is a PITA. Where did you score your paper copy?
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Yes, PP201 with about 17 maps in pocket too.

Can't remember whether scored on eBay in 2003 or via amazon.com... but was around $50.00
                These guys have the pub, but can be costly...

It came with 50+ map plates, 17 of which are in a slipcase and the remainder of the map plates tipped into the volume...
                Does your pdf have all the plates reproduced?
                YES, scanning can be a PITA, so I may focus first on the plates...
                -Russ

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

Re: Yes, PP201 with about 17 maps in pocket too.

Can't remember whether scored on eBay in 2003 or via amazon.com... but was around $50.00
                  These guys have the pub, but can be costly...

It came with 50+ map plates, 17 of which are in a slipcase and the remainder of the map plates tipped into the volume...
                  Does your pdf have all the plates reproduced?
                  YES, scanning can be a PITA, so I may focus first on the plates...
                  -Russ
                  I beleive most of the plates are scanned, there might be a couple that are not, I'll need to check. I'm actually getting a bunch of the maps reproduced using the scans, basically just to have a "field set" for myself.
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jun 2008

PP201

I'd be happy to provide scans of any plates you don't have... I'd like to see about picking up a pdf of the text too...
                    -Russ

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Re: PP201

I'd be happy to provide scans of any plates you don't have... I'd like to see about picking up a pdf of the text too...
                      -Russ
                      Looks like I am missing the following plates in digital format:

6-29

The remainder I have in a jpeg format.

PM me your phone number and I'll give you a ring and make arrangements to get you the digital copy of PP201.

There are some other digital files I would like to get from you. I can't get the Henry Mountain PP228 to download from scribd. It won't ever fully load on scribd? All the others I've downloaded work fine

You've dug up some great stuff. Good work!!!
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• John
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Oct 2008

That is a great map. I downloaded it at work & printed it on a 24"X36"(D-size) sheet.

Feeling a bit retarded now though because I'm still trying to figure out which tunnel we entered though, the great room location ext.

Comment

• rhartill
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jun 2008

Directions more or less

The "1000 foot level" tunnel IS the haulage tunnel in which we entered the Ophir Hill mine. The great room is probably the area below the "main incline" at the first perpendicular offshoot from the 1000' tunnel. A rounded line with hash marks on its inside circumferance is probably a "room." The Pyrite area we all were picking away in is probably further to the right of the map and near where the words "stopes" can be seen. ALTHO, this map is from 1944 and since mined ceased in 1972, there are a few decades of further work underground that the map does NOT reflect. Glad it scaled nicely, the original is less than 7 x 10 inches in dimension.
                          -Russ

Comment

• John
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Oct 2008

Ok, looks like I was on the right track then.
                            Everything just gets so confusing when all the different levels are drawn on top of each other.

Comment

• Stuart
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

That is a great map. I downloaded it at work & printed it on a 24"X36"(D-size) sheet.
                              Sounds like you have the right idea! Much easier to study when it's blown up really big and printed. At first the map didn't make much sense to me either, but after studying the high res scan a for a minute I oriented myself quite well with it.

The "1000 foot level" tunnel IS the haulage tunnel in which we entered the Ophir Hill mine. The great room is probably the area below the "main incline" at the first perpendicular offshoot from the 1000' tunnel. A rounded line with hash marks on its inside circumferance is probably a "room." The Pyrite area we all were picking away in is probably further to the right of the map and near where the words "stopes" can be seen. ALTHO, this map is from 1944 and since mined ceased in 1972, there are a few decades of further work underground that the map does NOT reflect.
                              This is also my conclusion of the map. I'd love to get a more complete version that includes the "modern" workings. When I finally get to meet Leo I will ask if he has one.
                              -Stuart Burgess
                              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                              Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

Working...