• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

BLM helps SOME groups with NR nominations

Last year, I asked Tony Gallegos of the DOGM for information on the NRHP nomination process. This was his answer:

For more information about the nominating a site you may want to look at the web page
    http://www.achp.gov/NHPA.pdf to learn more about the Nomination process. Apparently the
    nomination process is quite complex so it may be in your interest to hire a consultant if you wish to
    pursue that route. This could also be of benefit to you because a qualified consultant should have full
    access to the archeological records. Hiring a consultant may also address the issue of obtaining
    information on a site which has been closed or reclaimed. Lori Hunsaker is an archeologist for the
    Public Land Coordinating Council in the Governor’s office who often advises us, and she is available to
    talk to you as well. Her phone number here in Salt Lake City is (801) 537-9046.

I believe the BLM is under no obligation to assist in moving sites (determined to be eligible for listing)
    along in the nomination process, primarily because they are understaffed and under funded. This may
    be a question for the BLM directly.

What is interesting is that the BLM issued this press release last week (October 200. So much for the BLM being underfunded and understaffed for nominating what they WANT to nominate!

• Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I've been through Nine Mile Canyon several times. Its a huge area to nominate! Unbelievable.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Sad, sad, sad.

I have a report from a US Forest Service staff member recommending over a dozen sites as NRHP eligible. Over ten years later none are listed and their history is slowly fading away.
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

NR eligible sites in AF Canyon....

Should we [MU, with free legal help from crazy attorney with mining in blood ] nominate them? I'm game! I think at least demonstrating to the NR people that reclamation affects significance and integrity in NR submissions might go a long way towards getting the USHS to agree that reclamation hurts history...and Sec 106 reviews ought to be happening more than they currently are.
        -Russ
        P.S. Can you share via private message or otherwise which mine features were considered eligible?
        -Russ

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Re: NR eligible sites in AF Canyon....

Originally posted by rhartill
          Should we [MU, with free legal help from crazy attorney with mining in blood ] nominate them? I'm game! I think at least demonstrating to the NR people that reclamation affects significance and integrity in NR submissions might go a long way towards getting the USHS to agree that reclamation hurts history...and Sec 106 reviews ought to be happening more than they currently are.
          -Russ
          P.S. Can you share via private message or otherwise which mine features were considered eligible?
          -Russ
          Absolutely!

I see your here in Sandy, given the stuff I have (and the source) it would be best if I showed you what I have rather than try and PM it. What are your evenings like?
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...