Tooele Transcript article

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

Tooele Transcript article

This is crap, read it, comment it, and sent and email to the writer...

• Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Yup. Did the same.

Good to see ya back Corey. How'd those ventures go?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Jake
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2007

That was a lot of crap! The bad thing is people believe it. If the media didn't exist than all the mines would probably open.
      Oh, mike you might want to fix the link, so your not log in.
      -Jake Burgess
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
      Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• one_bad_rover

always fun... ended up in Lakeside last week.. pretty amazing.. there are some great mines including one that has an entire cobblestone entryway. Heading back down to Kanab next weekend, going to do a little inventory of my own down there..

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

WOw another bullsh*t article

Wow another bull**** article, nothing new here. Same government rhetoric they put in every article pertaining to abandoned mines.

"Entering a mine, whether on private or federal land, is almost always a trespassing violation without the permission of the landowner."
          Almost always???? How many of us actually run into CLEARLY MARKED mines on a regular basis?

"....aims to close mines that pose the greatest risk to people who may choose to access them."
          So they only close mines that pose the greatest risk? NO they close every mine they possibly can!

“The whole area is evaluated in regards to history, endangered species and wildlife,”
          We all know how these evaluations go: Burn this, bury this, bulldoze this, and leave this board alone.

"Specific entries to abandoned mines can be closed several ways. The easiest, Springer said, is to backfill the hole with dirt. That’s usually done in instances where there’s not a lot of history to be maintained at the site."
          Like Hell! Some of the most historic sites in Utah are backfills!

"According to the Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining, since the early 1980s, 10 Utahns have died and another two dozen others have been injured while exploring or happening upon these abandoned mines — and Tooele County is not exempt.
          On Jan. 13, 1996, Jeremiah Etherington died after falling in a mine near Stockton called the Honorine Mine. Robert Bartholomew was killed in the Thorpe Hills, near Five-Mile Pass, when he drove his ATV into a 50-foot deep mine shaft on Jan. 23, 1999. In 1971, there was a fatality at a Gold Hill mine when a man died from a rock fall. And on Sept. 23, 1989, Joshua Dennis was lost for five days at Hidden Treasure Mine near Stockton and rescued after an intensive search, according to Springer."

Now these ***********************************s have the guile to bring up every death they can think of to cap off the article. Same crap they pull every time.
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Unfortunately, until they stop getting federal funding for such projects then this BS is going to continue. Then again even if they do stop funding it the state in all of their infinite wisdom will probably find ways to fund it. I've often wondered why the state was going about this in such an expedient manner, when finally the answer hit me, they are trying to get this done as fast as possible before the opposition builds any more strength. And where did the 10 deaths come from??? I thought it was only 5??
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Ha, old Sarah Miley must feel terrible. Her report being ripped apart and shredded in comments and emails. I have doubts she'll write for the DOGM again.

Good job everybody!
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Bansheenut
                Mojave Baby
                • Jul 2008

I think they need to outlaw Pioneer handcart reenactments.... Two people have died doing them this year. Its is a FAR more dangerous hobby than what we do here!

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Pioneer enactments

Tooele Transcript
                  August 22, 2015

"Pioneer handcart reenactments are a nuisance attraction for young children! People who push handcarts in the desert expose themselves to unknown dangers lurking behind every sagebrush and tumbleweed. Animals hiding underneath rocks could attack you and sometimes rocks will fall on you. Keep off the handcart trails and stay alive! ", says Lucia Malin, director of the Utah Department of Oil Gas and Mining's new Historic Route Reclamation Program (HRRP). "The HRRP strives to reduce the dangers and keep young children off Utah's historic trails and pioneer routes, while maintaining the historic feel of the area", said Malin. The HRRP program reclaims these historic pioneer routes by placing a ten foot concrete wall around the problem areas and re-seeding the routes contained within the wall. John Baza, of the DOGM, told the transcript in an interview this week that the HRRP program is the new focus of the DOGM now that the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Program has been shut down by Mojave Underground inc. "Those damn guys have ruined everything!", exclaimed Baza as he discussed the divisions new push towards a safer Utah. If you ever come across a trail that is dusty and could possibly be traversed by a handcart please leave the area immediately.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Bansheenut
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jul 2008

Re: Pioneer enactments

Originally posted by Stuart
                    Tooele Transcript
                    August 22, 2015

"Pioneer handcart reenactments are a nuisance attraction for young children! People who push handcarts in the desert expose themselves to unknown dangers lurking behind every sagebrush and tumbleweed. Animals hiding underneath rocks could attack you and sometimes rocks will fall on you. Keep off the handcart trails and stay alive! ", says Lucia Malin, director of the Utah Department of Oil Gas and Mining's new Historic Route Reclamation Program (HRRP). "The HRRP strives to reduce the dangers and keep young children off Utah's historic trails and pioneer routes, while maintaining the historic feel of the area", said Malin. The HRRP program reclaims these historic pioneer routes by placing a ten foot concrete wall around the problem areas and re-seeding the routes contained within the wall. John Baza, of the DOGM, told the transcript in an interview this week that the HRRP program is the new focus of the DOGM now that the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Program has been shut down by Mojave Underground inc. "Those damn guys have ruined everything!", exclaimed Baza as he discussed the divisions new push towards a safer Utah. If you ever come across a trail that is dusty and could possibly be traversed by a handcart please leave the area immediately.
                    ^^lol Nice!
                    I made sure to mention in my email to her, that by her logic handcarting is more dangerous. So, she should do an article on that as well.

Comment

Working...