• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Scribd Mining & History Info

I have been marveling at Russ Hartill's stuff on Scribd and am wondering if anyone or Russ himself will tell me where he gets all of this wonderful info?
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Also if you look at Ophir II Photos Part II on Scribd you will see the metal building that used to sit outside the Buffalo mine along with the rails that used to go into the building from the mine entrance.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Great avatar Derek! Interesting note on the Buffalo buildings. As far as where Russ gets his information, I think he has access to other sources and scans a lot of documents from books he has. But we can only guess where he gets the rest...
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Derek - looks like GH, is that from the trip where we found the dynamite?

Comment

• Derek
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
          Derek - looks like GH, is that from the trip where we found the dynamite?
          Yes it is the GH. This is the trip a couple of years ago where I tried to meet up with you guys, but was unable to make the connection. I don't remember seeing dynamite in there, but there definitely could be.
          -Derek
          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Looking at the pictures of Mercur and the Golden Gate Mill and then comparing them to the present day just make me absolutely sick to my stomach. Barrick has completely destroyed the canyon and all of the historical buildings. I know for a fact that the headframe that can be seen in many of the pictures was still standing when Barrick was mining the area and then they tore it down and gave all of the employees a picture of it framed in the wood that once made up the headframe. How does such a company get past the antiquities laws? All that is left up there now is a bunch of fake lookings hills, a hill that has half of it stripped, and a big pit where the headframe once stood. D-a-m-n-i-t!
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Where to get mining history info

Derek:
              Having spent 40 years collecting this stuff, not sure where to begin. Here is a start:

Many of the books Microsoft scanned before they abandoned their book digitizing project can be found here.

Of course, there's google books too:

and for UTAH specific .pdf books (many are not indexed nor OCRed however) go to:

For BLM reports, start here:

and for USGS reports, go here:

About half of my stuff on scribd is from my own library, which I am scanning in as fast as I can.

Happy Hunting!
              -Russ

Comment

• rhartill
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

as for how/why Barrick can get away with reclaiming history, it has everything to do with the DOGM, which requires them to reclaim, and the fact that "liability" passed to them when they purchased patented lands. Sometimes, the mining companies themselves are the enemies of mining history, and education and public awareness and public outrage are the tools we need to use to fight and further eroision of our mining heritage. I too cry at the reclamation of Mercur. Fantastic landmarks were destroyed, and only HAER photos of the Golden Gate Mill remain.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

ah, ive got a friend that has a ton of pics from 1955 of mercur and the tintic district. working on getting them up soon.

Comment

• Derek
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2008

Thanks for the links Russ, I'll definitely be checking them out.
                    -Derek
                    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...