• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Video of Mine above Honerine

Thought I'd share this video I came across on google videos. Looks like we may need to take a trip there.

[GVideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1045096564324072554&ei=ki-mSKOjMojyqwPChdQi&q=stockton+mine[/GVideo]
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Looks pretty big, I wonder how we can get in contact with these guys.. They look amateur, but the may have useful information.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

I tried looking for contact info that might be associated with the video, but couldn't find any.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• iamsquat
        Mojave Teen
        • Jun 2008

You could try posting a comment on their video. It should send them an email saying that theres a comment there which could lead to some info.

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Yeah, I've already tried that. Hope it works.
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

I know exactly where this is... You name the time!
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Derek
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2008

This one is the mine dump that I point out when we were getting ready to leave after our visit to the Honerine.
              -Derek
              Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Interesting.. Have you been inside this one Cheever?
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                  Interesting.. Have you been inside this one Cheever?
                  I have not been in this one, because it was caved for several years. But now it appears that someone has dug it out. Looks like this will need to be a quick trip one weekend.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Yes, I agree! Lets go check it out.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• RedRockXJ
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Jun 2008

Haha... I see you guys found my video. I thought I deleted this one.
                      Josh
                      - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• lobster68w
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Dec 2008

Some pics

Not to resurrect an older thread, but thought I'd add some pics from this mine.

I believe this is the Tip Top, and definitely worth the trip before it's sealed for good.

As a bonus, this is the Ben Harrison-

Not much left but some cement foundations and a sketchy shaft that seems pretty deep.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

The Tip Top Mine is one on my list to visit because I have a map that shows it connecting to the Honerine, which in turns connect to the Galena King. Were there any inclines or shafts in the Tip Top that headed the direction of the Honerine?

And yes the Ben Harrison shaft is said to be 1200' deep.
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

I tried to go into that addit 2 weeks ago but the place was infested with rattle snakes. A friend came within a few feet of a nice four footer (Western Rattlesnake). That was that weekend when it was cooler out and I think there were probably a lot of snakes out then. I did get some video of it too. I never saw my friend move so fast! Was in the Honerine recently and there are alot of incline shafts but not till you are pretty far back in. Some go down and some go up but the mine goes so far back in the mountain I doubt any of them connect to the Tip Top, perhaps to another mine though.

There is another Honerine Mine up there too. I believe it's called the Upper Honerine on the Google Overlay. The headstock with large pulley (Shown below) is laying on the ground next to a huge shaft. To get to this mine it's easier to go down from the top of the other side of the mountain than to go up the canyon. The addit as you can see is right in the center of the picture and it goes in and around for quite a ways.

Comment

• lobster68w
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cheever
                              The Tip Top Mine is one on my list to visit because I have a map that shows it connecting to the Honerine, which in turns connect to the Galena King. Were there any inclines or shafts in the Tip Top that headed the direction of the Honerine?

And yes the Ben Harrison shaft is said to be 1200' deep.

There were two almost vertical inclines, both went down towards the north, away from the Honerine.

The Tiptop mine is just northeast of the Honerine
                              air shaft, near the middle of sec. 19, T. 4 S., R. 4 W.
                              The Cyc.lone and Tiptop claims are included in the
                              property. It is reached bya wagon road from Stockton,
                              a distance of about 11jz miles, but was being
                              worked at the time of this survey through the drain
                              tunnel of the Honerine mine, with which it is connected
                              by a crosscut about 400 feet long. The mine
                              was not actively worked until recent years, although
                              it had been prospected in a small way for some time.
                              At the time of this survey it was being energetically
                              developed under the ownership of the Stockton Lead
                              Co. The period of notable production of the mine
                              dates only from 1924. Probably somewhat over
                              $300,000had been produced to the end of 1927.
                              The mine is developed by a few short drifts and a
                              winze about 900 feet deep, which extends to a depth
                              11bout 120 feet below the drain-tunnel level of the
                              Honerine mine. Probably the total development
                              workings of the mine do not exceed 2,000feet, exclusive
                              of the stopes. (See pI. 32.)
                              The mine is almost entirely in the "Galena King"
                              limestone in the Oquirrh formation, which at the surface
                              dips about 600 N. and strikes about east. In
                              depth, however, a prominent "bedding roll" occurs,
                              so that on the drain-tunnel level the beds strike almost
                              due north. The principal ore shoot of the mine occurs
                              on this bedding roll, in association with a fissure. The
                              ore body at the drain-tunnel level is over 100 feet long
                              and 8 or 10 feet high. The shoot continues at least to
                              the 700-foot level and pos8ibly to the surface, as does
                              the one about 250 feet east which was followed by the
                              winze from the surface. At the time of this survey
                              active work was being carried on in a drift 120 feet
                              below the drain-tunnel level on the "Galena King"
                              limestone west of the winze.

Originally posted by Mark1955
                              I tried to go into that addit 2 weeks ago but the place was infested with rattle snakes. A friend came within a few feet of a nice four footer (Western Rattlesnake). That was that weekend when it was cooler out and I think there were probably a lot of snakes out then. I did get some video of it too. I never saw my friend move so fast! Was in the Honerine recently and there are alot of incline shafts but not till you are pretty far back in. Some go down and some go up but the mine goes so far back in the mountain I doubt any of them connect to the Tip Top, perhaps to another mine though.

There is another Honerine Mine up there too. I believe it's called the Upper Honerine on the Google Overlay. The headstock with large pulley (Shown below) is laying on the ground next to a huge shaft. To get to this mine it's easier to go down from the top of the other side of the mountain than to go up the canyon. The addit as you can see is right in the center of the picture and it goes in and around for quite a ways.

Glad we didn't see any snakes when we were up there!!

I found some maps of the Stockton area and I think that the mines up there in your pic are all of the Galena King. The first tailings pile that has the adit there that we went in, shows the shaft to be 1000' deep with that "V" type opening up on top. The second large tailings pile just below it to the north shows the shaft at 500' deep. Total mine depth of 1600'. There is also a small mine just to the south of that that I was in today. Only goes in about 250'. I believe it's name is the "knickerbocker tunnel". I'll try scanning some maps in later tonight and will post them if they turn out well.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...