• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Legalities of entering a mine

So people are aware, there is a law in the state of Utah making exploring mines illegal, under certain conditions. In this thread, we are going to break the law down to its details, so you are aware of the loopholes and can legally enter mine sites.

76-6-206.1. Criminal trespass of abandoned or inactive mines -- Penalty.
    (1) For purposes of this section:
    (a) "Abandoned or inactive mine" means an underground mine which is no longer open for access or no longer under excavation and has been clearly marked as closed or protected from entry.
    (b) "Enter" means intrusion of the entire body.
    (2) A person is guilty of criminal trespass of an abandoned or inactive mine if, under circumstances not amounting to burglary as defined in Section 76-6-202, 76-6-203, or 76-6-204:
    (a) the person intentionally enters and remains unlawfully in the underground workings of an abandoned or inactive mine; or
    (b) intentionally and without authority removes, destroys, or tampers with any warning sign, covering, fencing, or other method of protection from entry placed on, around, or over any mine shaft, mine portal, or other abandoned or inactive mining excavation property.
    (3) A violation of Subsection (2)(a) is a class B misdemeanor.
    (4) A violation of Subsection (2)(b) is a class A misdemeanor.

[hr:fbb75db223]
    Let me break this down so it makes more sense:
    (a) "Abandoned or inactive mine" means an underground mine which is no longer open for access or no longer under excavation and has been clearly marked as closed or protected from entry.
    See the attached photo for an example of clearly marked. In order for this law to have any bearing, these sites must be marked with a sign such as that.
    (2) A person is guilty of criminal trespass of an abandoned or inactive mine if, under circumstances not amounting to burglary as defined in Section 76-6-202, 76-6-203, or 76-6-20
    This would mean the site is administered privately or by BLM, falls under the above code (not marked), and we knowingly trespassed.

(a) the person intentionally enters and remains unlawfully in the underground workings of an abandoned or inactive mine;
    Basically restating what was written above, i.e. weren't forced in.

(b) intentionally and without authority removes, destroys, or tampers with any warning sign, covering, fencing, or other method of protection from entry placed on, around, or over any mine shaft, mine portal, or other abandoned or inactive mining excavation property.
    Meaning we would have to intentionally remove that which is clearly designed to keep people out. Read all the ANDS as required. Not only must you intentionally (not accidentally) remove a sign barrier, but you must do so without authority. Getting permission from landowners would make this law null and void and inapplicable.

[hr:fbb75db223]

So how does one with a passion for mine exploration legally access these sites?

1) Stick with us. We frequently visit sites under permission of the land owner. When privately owned and we have permission, DOGM can do nothing to keep us out. Trespass is negated whenever you have permission to be there.
    2) Find sites that have not been clearly market as dangerous. According the the above law, this would mean sites without signs, fences, etc. If the site is not clearly marked, your are completely legal to enter these locations.

Maximum fines for class b is in range of $900, for class A it is the same as a DUI citation $1850 plus a 75% surcharge so essentially abround $4K. Bs can be legally up to 6 months in jail, with As it is 1 year.

Remember DOGM has no police authority and cannot issue a citation themselves. BLM could, on BLM land, because their rangers ARE deputized...

Long range, or maybe even short range solutions would be to get MOUs (memos of undestanding) in place as a Non profit with NPS, BLM, DOGM, USFS, State of Utah, etc so that exploration will not result in trespass charges. Getting permission from landowners, or making it a habit only to enter mines not clearly marked, is the best strategy. And even IF clearly marked, owner permission will negate this law...

Bottom line, always better to get permission, but without it, its still pretty much almost the same as ordinary trespass. Trespass is usually charged with the landowner's consent to charge you, and rarely can someone claim or allege trespass without the "owner" swearing out a complaint against you. But this law is DOGM's effort to try to gain power to charge someone without the owner's having to swear out a complaint.

MOST IMPORTANT!

Do what you can to fight this law. It is statistically unnecessary. This law turns honest, law-abiding citizens into criminals and trespassers just so DOGM can protect their closures and continue justifying the spending of federal funds. Help us obtain further legal access to these sites by writing your legislature against this law!

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Mine Closure sign and laws...

Excellent summary of the ridiculously overstated law that is not necessary--trespass laws are already on books, and can be enforced. One thing I just noticed--the sign the DOGM is using, MISSTATES the law...It says.. "Entering a mine...is ILLEGAL...." IT IS NOT. The law goes on to great length to say that an *abandoned* mine, *clearly marked* as closed, and *no longer open for access* and *no longer under excavation,* etc. Of course the phrase, "no longer open for access" is a tautology, because the statute describes a closed mine by saying it has no opening for access. So they cannot legally say that entering *a* mine [as in ALL] is illegal....as much as they would LOVE to outlaw mining altogether... But I fear that maybe this is one of their hidden agendas--by securing landowner permission to seal up a mine, do they demand landowners to certify that their mine is abandoned and no longer under excavation and "no longer open for access?" I am afraid they might be doing exactly this!

Also, in my opinion, posting a single sign like this one pictured in a district surrounded by many mine openings may not be an example of "clearly marking" *each* mine in question.

Claiming that entering a mine is *illegal* is about as silly as claiming that polygamy solves day care problems for working mothers!

Lastly, how many mines have caves within them? and sealing these mines violates the Cave Protection Act...can any cavers tell us which mines in Utah have known caves/cave systems?

Russ Hartill, JD

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Why landowners may be all too happy to agree with DOGM

Another thought---DOGM is the SAME entity that grants mining permits to mining companies. When they come calling and asking for landowner permission to close certain mines, do any of the landowners ever feel the *slightest* twinge of pressure or guilt in contemplating telling them "no" or do they cooperate with DOGM in order to secure a current or future operating permit???

Comment

Working...