• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Soldier Summit Mines

Just got a tip from a friend at work about some Ozokerite mines in Spanish Fork Canyon called the Soldier Summit Mines. Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax used in applications from candles to military and space workings. From what I hear, the entire mining town has been destroyed, but many of the mines remain open. The wax can be found inside the mines and on the ground.

Might make for an interesting trip. I'd like to head out there sometime and check it all out today for a wiki entry around 5. Anybody interested in joining?

39.925834° -111.069666°
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Ooh, sounds like a fun little trip. Unfortunately I don't think I am feeling quite up to doing very much today. Stupid Virus is trying to kill me. I have been down in bed most of the day.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

And I got busy today floating the provo river for the 4th time this week I'm heading out tomorrow around 3:30-4:00pm. The invitation for some exploration is still open to anybody wishing to join.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Just across the highway from the mine sites are rows of old home foundations, presumably from their mining days. I've got some books that briefly touch on the boom days of the town. You can still see a head frame from the highway... always mean to stop but never do.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Interesting place. Drove out there yesterday. Long drive, not much there. It would appear that the wax was processed on site, as there is a cement structure that has irrigation ducts through it to channel a liquid. There were structures standing not too long ago, but they were pulled down into a large pile of wood. The lower tailing near the road is a processed tailings pile, from all that remained after precessing completed. Its mostly dirt now. The upper tailings have small samples of wax in them and make for an interesting find.

A headframe stands over the main tailings, but I was unable to cross the long flat plain to investigate adit conditions due to heavy lightning right above us. Our time constraints forced us to leave it for a next trip. The side road I traveled on became quite muddy, so I spent a bit of time spinning around and having fun in the ol' truck, tying out my new mudding tires, which I found don't work well in clay mud...

-Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Heather
            Mojave Baby
            • Sep 2007

Hey!! I was able to go on that little adventure! Thanks for the invite, even with bad weather it wasn't bad.

Comment

Working...