• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Eureka/Little Sahara/Topaz Mountain

This was a great trip! I think it was definitely one of our best so far.

Yesterday afternoon we packed up all our gear and met at the Wal-Mart parking lot in south Orem. As soon as everyone got everything situated in the vehicles we headed out to Eureka. On the way we stopped on the road just outside of Goshen and looked at the Tintic Reduction Mill , I took some time and explained the importance of the mill to the area. When we reached Eureka we stopped down on the Historic main street and looked at the artifacts and old buildings. We then drove up the hill to the Eagle-Bluebell shaft to peer down into the depths and cool off in the mist coming out of it. We explored the shaft house and some of the other surrounding support buildings, then we suited up to go into the mine. Luckily there we no owls or stormtroopers waiting in the portal to attack us this time. We explored all the tunnels on the main level and studied a headframe deep inside the mine, which was being eaten away by the moisture. We found some interesting rocks to study on our way out of the mine.

As we headed out of Eureka we stopped by the fake Bullion Beck headframe to discuss the damage done to the structure and laugh at DOGM. The small community of Mammoth was quiet, with the exception of a few dozen barking dogs, as we passed through it on the way up to the Hey Stevens adit. Likewise to the Eagle-Bluebell portal, the Hey Stevens was fairly small on the main level, but contained a large internal headframe. This headframe is the treasure of the mine with big spools of cable and an interesting staircase that I climbed up. I did a little balancing act while taking pictures from the top of the headframe, but I managed to get at least one decent one. After leaving the Hey Stevens we drooled over the Mammoth portal and imagined what it would look like inside.

Getting to the Little Sahara proved to be a little bit of a challenge as half the group flew past the turnoff and headed off toward Delta. Crystal and I patiently waited for the group to realize their folly and turn around. We decided to ditch the sand, wind, and ATV's so we drove back on the dirt road and found a nice quiet place to camp for the night. Jeremiah and I prepared a tasty Steak, Potatoes, and grilled asparagus dinner as the rest of the group set up camp. After dinner we put a few dozen rounds of lead into the hill and lit a nice "little" camp fire. I told stories and we chit-chatted a bit then we headed off to bed. Coyotes howled at the full moon and we slept through a little rainfall. In the morning Crystal cooked us blueberry pancakes and bacon while Mike prepared a hearty mountain man breakfast. A three course breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day.

Topaz Mountain proved to be a little bit longer of a drive than the signs portrayed it to be. After stopping to discuss directions a few times we reached the mountain and began to chisel away at the rocks. We looked for about an hour then decided to try a new spot where we found small topaz crystals allover the ground. We spent the next few hours here prying rocks apart and getting rained on. When the rain subsided we pulled out the guns again so Bradley, Mike, Chris, and the other Mike could put a few more rounds into the hillside. The drive out to the mountain was worth it as we did find a few good topaz specimens.

On the way home we enjoyed the scenic sage brush and juniper as we drove back into the storm that had just passed over us. The rain was refreshing and kept the dust down. After another stop for a refuel in downtown Eureka we headed home. This was a really fun trip and I think we all had a great time. I can't wait to go again!

-Mojave
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Another great trip indeed. Always nice to have new people come along and see something new. Doing a little research on the Eureka mines and recalling Stuart's description of the mining engineers pumping water into a bottomless cavern discovered within the mine, I came across this abstract from a document published in the 1950's. It is a little bit of a read but certainly validates the underground cavern story!

"The pumping operations at the Chief mine have been unique in the respect that for many years the entire flow of water into the mine has been disposed of by pumping into natural underground "caverns" or "sinks." Volumes up to 4000 gpm have been pumped into these caverns with no apparent tendency for the caverns to fill with water, and it has never been proven that any of the water returns to the mine workings. Major pumping operations have been carried on during two periods, the first from 1918 to 1927, and the second from 1942 to the present time. Early Pumping Operations CHIEF MINE The Chief Consolidated Mining Co. was organized in 1909, and for the following nine years ore was developed and mined from the 600 level down to the 1800 level, all above the permanent water table, the 1820 level. The ore occurs as extremely-irregular pipes of replacement ore in limestone, and to date a total of approximately 2 1/2 million tons of ore has been produced. The ore was highly oxidized down to the permanent water level, and some highly-oxidized ore runs occur beneath the permanent water table. In 1916, with extensive mining being done on the 1800 level, 20 ft above the water table, there were indications that a zone of secondary enrichment might exist below the water, and in order to follow the ore runs to greater depth, it was realized that arrangements would have to be Made to pump water to the surface. The original pumping installation was designed to pump 350 gpm in five stages against a 1900-ft head to the surface. By January 1919, the water had been lowered to the 1900 level and an excellent grade of silver-lead ore was being produced from the zone of secondary enrichment. At this point. the flow of water equalled the capacity of the pumps, and pumps of an additional 1000 gpln were installed to supplement the original system. By January 1920, the water had been lowered approximately 100 ft, and the total flow of water was 1000 gpm. The water was being pumped from many different places in the mine where ore was being followed downward, with 27 different pumps operating below the 1800 level, mainly Cameron air-driven sinker pumps. These first sinking pumps were cumbersome and inefficient, and each of the larger pumps weighed approximately three tons and required tremeridous volumes of compressed air. During this period, an exploration drift being extended north and west from the Chief shaft on the 1600 level encountered a large natural cavern some 2000 ft from the shaft. This cavern in places measured 60 ft in diameter. Sometime later the disposing of water into this cavern was suggested, and as an experiment to determine the results of such an operation, an attempt was Made to fill the cavern by pumping in a small volume of water, but the water disappeared as fast as it was discharged into the cavern. It was decided then to try the cavern as a drainage outlet for the entire volume of water being pumped to the surface, and the water apparently did not return to the mine workings. Subsequently water up to 3000 gpm was pumped into this cavern. An attempt was made to determine whether any water was being returned from the cavern to the lower workings, and 100 lb of sodium fluorescein salt was added to the water discharged into the cavern, but no trace of it was found in the drainage water in the mine." Taken from "AIME Transactions" Chapter ? "Metal Mining - History of Pumping at the Chief Consolidated Mine, Eureka, Juab County, Utah."

Very interesting stuff - where into the bowels of the earth would 3000 GPM of water go and not be traceable in the discharge water from other parts of the mine? Perhaps Brendan Frasier will show us in his certain to be craptacuar re-telling of Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" set to hit the big screen soon... I know I can't wait!
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Jake
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2007

I really wish I could have joined you guys. Those mines or mine look pretty sweet. Hopfully I can join you guys on the next one.
      -Jake Burgess
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
      Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

This was a really good trip. It was great having some new people to enjoy the experiences with. My truck made it all that distance with almost no problems at all! Good report there mr. stuart.
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Crystal

Yes great report and great trip. We really keep outdoing ourselves, every trip gets better and better. What will we do next time??

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Silveropolis! Mine Cart Adventures!
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• bradley
              Mojave Baby
              • Jul 2008

I couldn't have imagined a greater trip or a greater group of people to show me the ropes. How I managed to avoid mining history for so many years in Utah is a mystery, but you guys (including crystal in that grouping) really sparked something inside of me.

It was interesting to see how much 'real' history the mines contained. Hey Stevens and Bluebell were both hidden museums of the mining era.

There were a lot more mechanical pieces in tact than I expected. The buildings and large elevator lift (still learning the lingo ) at Hey Stevens seemed to overcome time. The buildings were hollow and the cables rusted, but the strength of such enormous engineering is breathtaking.

As a side note, Poor Mike B. almost had his car towed from my curb while we were away, but he was pretty clear that even if it had been towed, it was definitely worth the experience.

I still can't believe we were able to evade the cougars, bears, snakes, and wizards planted near the mines

Bradley

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Well put Bradley! We were glad to have you and Mike along with us, and look forward to seeing you on our next trip to Ophir / Jacob City.

Mining history is unique in the fact that it is quite exciting and adventurous. Those who care not for mining have not been inside a mine, nor have they had the proper guide with them. To bad for Mike and his car! Glad it wasn't towed.

(It was the wizard in the back that scared me the most...)
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• BowdyN
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Oct 2010

Newbie here, How do I get to the Eagle bluebell shaft??
                  Yes fox labs pepper spray is that f&#^*@%awesome, just ask the guy that got to eat/breath some of my can!!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BowdyN
                    Newbie here, How do I get to the Eagle bluebell shaft??

I cant say for sure, but right now you might not be able to as that area is under reclamation from the EPA. The company doing the work does have roving security.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...