• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Hidden Treasure Mine

Yesterday, some members of our site, along with Stu, Crystal, and I , went and tinkered around Jacob City looking for something interesting. While looking around, we managed to find a well disguised way into the infamous Hidden Treasure Mine! This find was most exciting to us. After cooking a hardy dinner of Steak and Apple Spice Cobler, we entered the mine.

Once inside, we were amazed at what we found. A labyrinth of tunnels, large and in fairly good condition, wound their way around the bowels of the mountain. Very strong, cold air could be felt the throughout the mine. Many artifacts remain, such as the entire rail system, many ore bins and chutes, some old carts, a few papers, and a room full of old sweating dynamite, which was too old to have any power left to it. We explored for several hours, following massive fault line rooms, steep and long rail grades, tunnels full of water, and a lot of interesting objects throughout the mine. Climbing back out of the small hole was a pain. It required some quick thinking and a lot of patience to make sure everybody came out properly and didn't get stuck. Thanks is owed to another user for his expertise and patience while we got everybody out.

We've got a scale of 1-10 of how good a mine is. Ophir Hill, in Ophir, UT, is our top #10. This one ranked a #9. This mine offers perhaps days of exploring. The only thing that could have been better was the means of entering.

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • hondadrift
    Mojave Teen
    • Sep 2007

Wow i cant believe i missed this one! Sounds like an amazing mine. I would love to se the rail system in perfect shape! Any interesting minerals or rocks found inside? Ive got around a dozen people that would like to go to the mine if you guys decide to go back. Several of them are experienced climbers with gear and the others are geologists from UVU. Keep me posted on your next trip there.

Comment

• mymania
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jun 2008

That does sound cool. I'd like to go check it out as well.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

We're bound to make another trip back into here. Getting in is far more dangerous than it would be if they had not plugged up the main entrance. Anybody know any ways of boring through cement?
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Jake
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2007

That was a pretty fun trip. Mabe I'll be able to join you for the next one. I like the pictures except that I am not in any of them. Let me know when the next one is.
          -Jake Burgess
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
          Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

This was a great mine! I am very excited to finish exploring this one.
            Pretty good pictures, cant wait to see the video.

-Mojave
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• whitt459
              Mojave Baby
              • Apr 2008

did i not see GOLD IN QUARTZ in one of the pictures? if so looks like a large vein that might be worth recoverning. whitt459

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

I'm assuming your speaking of the following:

If so, I am still waiting on results from our geologists, it perhaps may be. From what we can tell so far, however, its oxidized iron ore set in quartzite and limestone. But you very well may be right. What do you think whitt459? I'm interested myself, the entire mine is loaded with it.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Crystal

This was definitely one of the better mines. We spent a good 4 hours exploring and still didn't see it all. Found some neat things like an old pump, a Readers Digest about propaganda and an old glass Pepsi bottle from around the 60's. This one is worth exploring again. It is indeed most excellent.

Comment

• Rustler
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jul 2008

Although new here, I've been exploring the mines of Utah with various teams since 1976. Today, we began our assault on the Hidden Treasure Mine Complex. First entry was into an adit about 200 feet below the old main entrance and on the opposite side of the canyon. Used to be gated, but someone provided entrance. Anyway, this adit is about 100 yards northwest of the old, now collapsed hotel. Can anyone confirm that the adit ties into the Hidden Treasure Mine, or it is a seperate operation?

Also, is the Queen of the Hills Mine, which is about 1,000 feet higher, linked to the Hidden Treasure Complex? And has anyone been in the Queen of the Hills Mine of late?

I'm only in town until Saturday night. If anyone wants to meet up in Jacob City, I've got a modified FJ Cruiser that will get us just about anywhere in Dry Creek Canyon, up to the saddle, and all around the tops of the peaks, etc. I'd love to meet up with other colleagues. E-mail me at whitead@gtlaw.com. Thanks!

Comment

• Mike
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

Amazing mines up there. I'm not sure I know the entrance you used. We'll have to head up there and take a look at that. We also have not been to the Queen of the Hills mine yet. We noticed tailing up around that altitude, but have not headed up there yet. Jacob City is a slightly new area to us, were still exploring everything on the lower levels. We'd love to head up with ya sometime.

I love the FJ!
                      -Fish
                      Mojave Mine Team
                      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Jun 2008

I have been up to the Queen of the Hills, last year was my latest visit. There are a few remaining winches up there to see, slowly being swallowed by the underbrush, but the shafts and adits have been blasted or closed with excavators (though the trail is one you must hike the last 500 yards) There appears to be no entry, though we didn't really walk around much looking for missed ventelation shafts or the like that may have been overlooked in the closures. No gates, all blasted as far as we could tell...

I believe that the mine you entered was what we are calling the "Crystal" on this site if I understand the directions? Was there a lot of green spraypainted arrows in there? If it is the one just down the little washed-out trail from the hotel ruins, that's it. As far as research and maps show, it does not connect to the Hidden Treasure, it's too far away on the opposite side of the mountain.

Hope that helps...

I am out of town till Friday or I would love to make a trip up there...

Good luck!
                        Miah
                        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Rustler
                          Mojave Baby
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by UnderUtah
                          I have been up to the Queen of the Hills, last year was my latest visit. There are a few remaining winches up there to see, slowly being swallowed by the underbrush, but the shafts and adits have been blasted or closed with excavators (though the trail is one you must hike the last 500 yards) There appears to be no entry, though we didn't really walk around much looking for missed ventelation shafts or the like that may have been overlooked in the closures. No gates, all blasted as far as we could tell...

I believe that the mine you entered was what we are calling the "Crystal" on this site if I understand the directions? Was there a lot of green spraypainted arrows in there? If it is the one just down the little washed-out trail from the hotel ruins, that's it. As far as research and maps show, it does not connect to the Hidden Treasure, it's too far away on the opposite side of the mountain.

Hope that helps...

I am out of town till Friday or I would love to make a trip up there...

Good luck!
                          Yes! It was full of green arrows. Thank you for that insight!

Comment

• Mike
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Ah yes the crystal mine. Glad you were able to enjoy it! I didn't read your post correctly, or I would have realized thats the one your speaking of. As far as all of us can tell, like UnderUtah said, there is no connection to any of the other mines. There are, however, a whole slew of tunnels on an upper level that we have yet to explore. We believe they may lead to another section.
                            -Fish
                            Mojave Mine Team
                            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...