• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Another Jacob City Mine trip

Last night, we made an impulsive trip to Jacob City to explore the Skin Diver Mine and the Crystal Mine (And please, if anybody knows the actual names of these mines, please let us know.) My brother's friends from his Geology class at UVU had expressed some interest in examining some of the mineral formations found underground. About 7 of us headed out from Orem around 5pm, including our trusty mine dog, Katie.

Inside the Crystal Mine, we found some upper levels we had not explored before. So we shimmied up and explored some of the tunnels and found some interesting copper/calcite drip formations and old equipment. Not too many people had been in the upper level. Somebody had went through the mine within the last month and repainted arrows leading out of the mine with bright green paint. We wonder who that was. There are a couple passages we still need to explore; they appeared to be filled in from upper levels to prevent passage beyond them. The fill soil is a heavy gray clay, and should not be too hard to remove by shovel.

Overall, not too bad a trip. We were able to find some beautiful Calcite Crystal structures in an upper level of the mine wall, and discovered that they are quite spectacular. I'm regretting the late trip right now, however, as I've been at work for 2 1/2 hours and got about 2 hours sleep, and can't hardly stay awake to write this brief article.

The things we do to be underground...

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • hondadrift
    Mojave Teen
    • Sep 2007

An awesome trip it was. We retrieved some excelent calcite and copper specimens from the crystal mine. Im looking forward to returning and charting the upper levels.

Comment

• Crystal

It was a pretty good last minute trip (and I do mean last minute)
      couple of us were able to climb up and squeeze through a small hole to the
      next level. Didn't go very far but we did find some claw marks on the mine walls. . .
      some of them were about two feet long. Looked like someone(s) wasn't very prepared when
      they went down a level. It was pretty gross.
      Overall the trip was good, found some new tunnels that were skipped over
      the first exploration.

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

Well you have assembled quite a site here, very impressive! I love the Wiki too. I had skimmed across this site a few months ago but didn't dig too deep, but after a recent search regarding some of the workings in Jacob City I found a picture that looked VERY familiar - the large crystal near the back of the "crystal" mine. I wondered who might have been wandering around in there digging at it!

To answer a question posed in this trip's description, I am responsible for the new green marking paint found in the main level. I visit the Jacob City area pretty frequently thruought the summer, and on my first trip this season I discovered that the bat gate at this portal had become, well, somewhat compromised. Fearful that the error would be all quickly corrected, I returned with a partner and our gear (full SRT gear, helmets, Orion multi gas detector, and the marking paint you later found - nobody wants to get lost!) to have a look around. It was pretty clear that there had been recent visits. On a later trip up the Dry Canyon side I found that an upper adit (the one you call "Skindiver") was in a similarly distressed condition.

After looking at your amassed content and especially the Channel 4 story on the Honerine I thought it was worth writing-in. You have been pretty busy out there. Though I am very familiar with the area above Stockton I have never entered the Honerine - too much loose conglomerate near the partially collapsed main portal. (though you wouldn't have to "dig" your way in as portrayed in the story) After looking at the video and listening to the descriptions of the condition inside I am pretty surprized that you worked your way that far back to the shaft where Jeremiah fell. There appeared to be a lot of roof collapse in there. Any air quality issues?

I am going off on multiple tangents here, so forgive me. I am wondering if any of you know about the "access" gate on a vertical shaft above the Hidden Treasure. For several years there was a squeeze space between the rebar and the wall that has, in the past two years, been remedied with a chained access door of square steel tubing - I thought I had seen reference to it somewhere on Mojave... A few of my friends were in the Boy Scout troop with Josh Dennis when he became lost in the Hidden Treasure in 1989 I believe?

I appreciate the interest you have in Utah's amazing mining history. Keep it up, and above all, stay safe down there. (helmets everyone?) Perhaps I will meet you on the trail sometime!
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• hondadrift
          Mojave Teen
          • Sep 2007

Hey thanks for the info and the green arrows! We were wondering about them It seems that other people have been in the cave after us and before you though. There was a lot of garbage after we went back this last time. They must have broken those crystals off too/ We got ours from a little side passage near the crystals in the celing.

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

I see. I noticed the garbage pile near the rusted barrell too. I am sure that there are others visiting these sites, too bad they're messy!
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Hey UnderUtah,
              Welcome to the site. Its interesting that we meet the maker of those green lines! We were so confused by them, as it was only two weeks before that we had been inside the mine. Good to know that we weren't crazy and just didn't miss them the first time.

I think I might know what your talking about with the access above Hidden Treasure Mine. There were two vertical shafts, both with large amounts of snow, and a high amount of clean air coming out. They are gated fairly well, except we also noticed that one still had a spot where one could crawl in.

Keep making trips up there! You never know what new mine you'll find access to.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Access to hidden treasure

Ah the green arrow maker!
                We had a nice long discussion last time we were in the Crystal Mine about the mysterious green arrows. I had myself convinced that they were there the last time we were in, but then I would change my mind and decide that they had to be new. So finally I know that they truly are fresh.

The access shaft above the hidden treasure is still there and yes they have put a small gate on that squeeze point, but alas I don't think it can really keep anyone out for very long. Drawing from what I have seen in other mines around the state, I believe mines nearby may connect into the hidden treasure at some point allowing for a very nice little journey under the mountain.

(Crystal Mine+Hidden Treasure+Buckhorn=Ohir Hill)
                I know the last three do connect in that order, but the missing link may be an upper level of the Crystal Mine.
                I hope to someday solve this riddle.

-Mojave
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC
                http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• UnderUtah
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

Perhaps I should change my name to the Green Arrow Hopefully you weren't lead astray by the sometimes less than legible markings! The theory about the Crystal Mine connecting to the Hidden Treasure is an interesting one. I am dying to get home from this business trip and head straight to the Historical Society to start researching. I know that the Buckhorn connects to the Hidden Treasure, but I recall that when Josh Dennis was lost in 1989 a volunteer with extensive knowledge of the area (his grandfather was the Hidden Treasure Mine superintendent if I remember the story correctly) had attempted to enter the Hidden Treasure from the Buckhorn but could not pass a roof collapse to make the connection. If I were speculating based on geology I would guess that the Crystal wouldn't connect to the workings on the opposite side of the canyon, but perhaps some of the workings higher-up above, or the two other medium sized mines below (both gated) further down the canyon. Who knows without maps though!
                  Miah
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Yeah its true about the collapse in buckhorn preventing him from getting into the hidden treasure, I have heard this from multiple sources. As you mentioned above I also think that the Crystal mine wouldn't directly connect to the hidden treasure, but the connection could be made through other mines.

We need some maps!

-Mojave
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Rustler
                      Mojave Baby
                      • Jul 2008

Has anyone checked the condition of the Bauer aka Honerine Tunnel? This tunnel purportedly exits just north of Stockton, near a large area of tailings and mine silt. The tunnel is supposed to connect (and once drained) most the mines in both the Honerine and Jacob City groups.

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

We've spoken several explorers who have claimed the mine to by dry, dusty, and falling apart. We cannot verify this though. My guess is it would be just fine for us. I know the Honerine connects to the Bauer tunnel (or so its rumored to be) and that the Hidden Treasure Mine claims 22 miles of tunnels, making this option of a connection between the two likely. Perhaps another user here has more insight.
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jun 2008

I just haven't come across anything documenting or suggesting (other than modern online rumblings) that the mines in Jacob City (The Hidden Treasure) drain out of the Honerine Drain Tunnel. In a Minerals Resource publication from around 1910 there is reference to the drain tunnel being an 11,000 foot adit that drained the Honerine and two others and was being enlarged to drain the Galena King. The Hidden Treasure would have been in the Ophir mining district at that time, and the Honerine in the Stockton District. Based on Topo Utah measurements the tunnel would have to be just over 40,000 feet, or over SEVEN MILES straight from Bauer to Jacob City to connect and drain those workings! I am not saying it is impossible, but there are many more economically feasable ways to have drained the mines in Jacob City - a drainage out Dry Canyon at the valley floor level would only require the appropriate shaft depth and a mere 1.75 mile or 9240 feet of drainage tunnel. Why would a drainage from a different district connect seven miles away? If it exists and is documentable, I will certainly believe it, but as it stands, I can only find that the Honerine Drain Tunnel drains mines in the immediate area, nothing two canyons southeast and miles away. Anyone else who can confirm or deny / dispute any of these speculations? I would love to find a seven mile drainage adit; that would rival anything done even in Park City (the Spiro Tunnel was a drainage adit only about 4 miles long if I remember correctly). I will believe it when I am standing in my muck boots at it's portal.
                          Miah
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ryan
                            Mojave Child
                            • Feb 2008

I want to be involved with these impulsive trips to awesome mines....how do I?

Comment

• Stuart
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

Ryan

Keep a close eye on the forum for notices about trips we are making. Sometimes we don't even post them until the day we are leaving. All the bigger trips will be posted at minimum a week or two in advance.
                              For example, the key members of the Mojave Mine Team will be making a preliminary excursion up to ophir to investigate some mines next week. If you contact us via private message we may be able to have you join us.
                              -Stuart Burgess
                              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                              Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

Working...