abc4's McKay Allen - Put Us All To Shame...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedRockXJ
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2008

abc4's McKay Allen - Put Us All To Shame...

The media supporting the BLM, OGM and DNR by taking my video from google and giving it a dirty twist

McKay Allen is on my sh** list right now...

Notice how 90% of his story is about Jeremiah Etherington? So who's desecrating his death??
    Josh
    - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!
  • one_bad_rover

so no offence meant here, and hopefully this is taken in the right tone, but posting video and or pics of these explorations randomly is dangerous, not in a physical sense, but in the sense of the spin that media will put on it. Start getting active in the preservation aspect and working to change some laws. Otherwise, its all viewed as dangerous. I commend the hardhats and such. You should contact this McKay and the news station and ask for a follow up on the story due to the way it was portrayed. Go back up to the site and photo the area showing that there are no "no trespassing" signs too. let me know if you need any help or assistance in proving your case, but as it is left, it just looks like they captured some kids playing in a "dangerous mine". Show that you have a purpose and a reasoning for the exploration.
    Also as a side note, the family of Etherington is not to blame either. From some people that knew the family, the mom used to just drop the kids off in the summer at the mouth of the canyon and let them run wild, then pick them up in the evening. No supervision and no parenting at all. Actually the person I talked to said that she would drop them off in the morning so she could hit the bars and "screw around" with whoever was willing.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

additionally after reading the entire article I sent a letter to abc4 requesting that the article be pulled and re-edited with factual data instead of the fabrications and lies that were presented in that story. If I dont hear back from them I'll have our attorney draft a letter to them and see how that goes over.
      Its important to actually do something about this kind of bs propoganda instead of just letting it slide.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Nice this is the action I like to see. Nothing better than a little legal pressure! Probably the last thing ABC4 expected from making that article. I was pretty disgusted and upset when I watched their news video. I think I found it while working on optimizing our google placement for certain keywords, and the abc article was ranked first.

I agree that is it important to do something about all the propaganda. We need to become more active against these organizations.
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

RedRock, or anybody for that fact, feel free to upload any of your videos to our site. Our site and anything under it is copyrighted under our hosting company; anybody taking video off the site can be help liable for copyright infringement. Nice way to prevent people like news companies from stealing your content.

Let me know if anybody is interested and I'll give you FTP access to an upload folder.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• RockRacer
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I hope it's not looked down upon from bringing old stuff back to the top...

...But I was wondering what ever happened with this and one_bad_rover's letter to ABC?

I originally found this only just a few days ago doing a some sort of related google search and was glad you guys jumped in with your well written comments. I was thinking about putting one up as well. (People are still obviously able to view the entire news clip)
            Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• CaverStretch
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Oct 2008

I'de heard of this video but had never seen it. Does anyone know if it's still on YouTube? I tried to find it with no luck. What's really interesting about the news video from ABC4 is that they claim the mine was closed "forever" with no tresspassing signs all over. And of course this is what the family was told, I think, to offer them some "Closer". Of course the mine was never really closed and no signs were posted. At least no signs that I ever saw. It's very interesting the public perception of mines and mine exploring. The video footage that I have was taken about 2 weeks after they pulled his body out. I was surprised how much garbage was still in there from the rescue and the family.

There will always be stories like this in the news. Thousands of people can explore thousands of mines and have no record safety issues or incidents, but it only takes one person to do something stupd to change that. You never here about all the trips that were "Safe", only the ones where someone get's hurt.

I uploaded the ABC4 News clip to YouTube if anyone wants to watch it. I am interested in knowing who the exploreres are. The tall kid with the glasses looks like my mine exploring friend Jason. Interesting.

VIDEO COMING SOON!
              Robert Cranney
              Mojave Mine Team
              The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Rob I don't think it was a YouTube video, I believe that it was a Google video. There was video of the guys in the Honerine and another video of them in a mine above the Honerine. Apparently Google allows videos longer than ten minutes, and if I remember their videos were approximately 45 minutes? Try looking there.

It is amazing the spin and drama that can be infused into a five minute news clip. Yes that particular mine is less than stable. Yes people can get injured or killed exploring mines. Yes search and rescue call-outs put others in danger. We accept and indulge in risk in every aspect of our lives, whether in exploring underground or repeatedly eating at Arbys The only real story here relates to possible trespass and the revisit to the site of Etherington's death.

Your guys went in weeks after the incident - did you have to dig-out a state sponsored backfill, hack-through no trespassing signs, and find your way in serruptitiously? My guess is that the portal today is just a little more krufty than it was a decade ago - not backfilled, not blasted shut, not gated. I would really welcome an interview with any news outlet to discuss the views and opinions of our group and to dispell some of the propaganda constantly fed to the public regarding mine exploration. I guess nobody at channel 4 reads Forbes! We do have rules, standards, safety equipment, and experience - that goes a long way in this arena.

I think someone was bored on a slow news day and was surfing the web for anything potentially newsworthy.
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

I would really welcome an interview with any news outlet to discuss the views and opinions of our group and to dispell some of the propaganda constantly fed to the public regarding mine exploration. I guess nobody at channel 4 reads Forbes! Cool We do have rules, standards, safety equipment, and experience - that goes a long way in this arena.

I think someone was bored on a slow news day and was surfing the web for anything potentially newsworthy.
                  Well put Miah. Someday we will get our chance. But we were in Forbes magazine after all, an opportunity many businessmen would die for.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• RedRockXJ
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jun 2008

The persons in that video are Myself, Kyle Parker, Josh Peters, and Jon Peters on July 24th 2007.

The videos were uploaded on Google, but I removed them due to the media attack I received from McKay Allen.

Long story short:

After checking a very old email for the first time in months, I received 3-4 emails from McKay Allen asking about mine history and mine exploration. He requested to meet with me for an interview, and that supposedly I was the GO-TO guy about all Utah mine history.

I replied to his emails stating that I would love to interview with him, and clarified that I'm only an average enthusiast, no professional.

A month or so later with no reply from McKay Allen, I was googling "Honerine Mine", and abc4.com was the first result that came up. And that's when I discovered the story.

I was not happy at all. I left a straight forward comment on their website for the story which you can all read by clicking the link posted above, and sent him another email explaining my frustration.

I then removed the google vids a few weeks later. And that was that.
                    Josh

Comment

• RedRockXJ
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by CaverStretch
                      The video footage that I have was taken about 2 weeks after they pulled his body out. I was surprised how much garbage was still in there from the rescue and the family.
                      Robert I would love to see this video! Can you upload and link it pretty please?
                      Josh

Comment

• CaverStretch
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Oct 2008

I will work on it today. It's short, but interesting.
                        Robert Cranney
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

I was in the Honerine before Jeremiah's death and there was a gate on the mine, but it had been opened right after it was put on from what I was told. However I have never seen any signs around the mine forbidding access then or now.
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
                            Mojave Teen
                            • Jan 2009

There were no signs there yesterday when I was up doing some playing in the snow it is kinda collapsed but that is all

Comment

• Stuart
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

DOGM is slated to be closing the Honerine and all the surrounding mines sometime this year in their KESSLER project. Unless they decide otherwise
                              -Stuart Burgess
                              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                              Burgess Exploration LLC
                              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...