Historic Tunnels In Kanab to be destroyed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

Historic Tunnels In Kanab to be destroyed

The following letter will be fired out to all of the BLM offices, GSENM management, DOGM, and every 4wd group and outdoor enthusiast site I can find. If you know of a site that I have missed, please feel free to cut and paste and post.

Historic tunnels in Kanab to be destroyed – Corey Shuman, GRE, Inc. April 5th, 2008
    Utah’s independent news source since 1871, The Salt Lake Tribune covers news, entertainment, sports and faith for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah.

There are a series of tunnels in Kanab that have long been associated with the Aztec empire and hidden Spanish gold. The area has never been mined, however it has been excavated. It’s an Indiana Jones type of adventure but its real, and it’s in our own back yard. In 1914, Freddie Crystal rolled into Kanab, Utah, with a map, a map he claimed would lead directly to a piece of the horde that had been stashed by Montezuma hundreds of years ago. He showed the map around, looking for information on the surrounding country. Almost everyone who saw the map recognized the area in question as “White Mountain” and pointed him in that direction.
    Once in the area, Freddie immediately found signs that he was in the right place, Aztec writings littered the area, and the map directed him right to an ancient set of stairs cut directly into the mountain. He followed the steps up to a sealed entrance, and from that point, the hunt was on. He went back into Kanab and announced that he had found what he was looking for, but now needed help in excavating the site. The townspeople rallied and nearly emptied the town of Kanab. They broke through numerous blockades in the mountain, encountering deadfall traps and other perils showing that these tunnels were not meant to be accessed by anyone but a descendant of the Aztecs who knew how to disable the pitfalls. The excavation went on for almost a year, clearing deadfall after deadfall, finding relics and ancient items, but never the gold. Finally, with the tunnels all reopened and no gold found the townspeople went back to their day to day lives and forgot about the tunnels up in Johnson canyon.
    Brandt Childs remembers: “ "It led into a big room," he says, "but all they found was just bones of mules and a few artifacts. No gold. But then they found another tunnel and it had a plug in it too. So they dug it out."
    At the end of the second tunnel, the gold seekers came upon still another cavernous room in which they discovered a large human skeleton propped in a sitting position. "They called him Smiley," recalls Child, "because he looked like he was smiling."
    No one else in the room was smiling, however, because there was no gold whatsoever-only a handful of pre-Columbian artifacts plus a sacrificial altar, "where they'd tear the hearts out of men and throw their bodies over the cliff." Also, the ashes of ancient campfires, "with human fingers all wrapped in bark, ready for roasting, and human legs, and things like that."
    Great story, right? Pack up and you’re all ready to go check out this area. However, this brings Gold Rush Expeditions in to the story, in the beginning of April, almost like an April fools joke, the Department of Oil Gas and Mining (OGM) announced that they were going to begin operations shortly to “reclaim” this mine site. “What??” This isn’t a mine site, it’s an obviously a site of historic and archeological significance. Add to that the site isn’t a mine, or anything close to it, its origins date back to the times of Cortez, Montezuma.
    So then WTF is the OGM doing down there. Well, it’s the latest of a long line of intrusions from the OGM, destroying what little is left of Utah’s history, mining and otherwise. GRE has been advocating for years that this organization either needs to be removed, or revamped to help preserve the amazing historical sites that Utah has to offer. The OGM was founded to reclaim coal mines, and is funded from coal mine money. But, in the opinion of GRE, it’s not that interesting to close up coal mines, so why not move into hard rock mines, and historic sites? Areas of historic significance are being destroyed, while the open abandoned coal mines across the state, the ones that OGM should be addressing, are being left open with no attention. And in the case of the tunnels in Johnson canyon, these sites are not well known, and so it’s easy enough for OGM to step in and destroy the sites forever.
    So what now, will OGM be successful in their bid to destroy this site next? There is a push from Doug Powell of the Grand Staircase Escalante National monument to “reclaim” these tunnels. And if uncontested, this historic area will be destroyed by these groups that are supposed to protect our resources.
    GRE will be spearheading an effort to stop this closure, but we need your help. On April 11th, GRE will be heading down to Kanab to meet with area historians to document and tour the site. We welcome anyone who would like to join us for this excursion. In addition will be writing letters to the Grand Staircase Escalante Monument management, the Division of Oil, Gas and Mining and the Kane County BLM to voice our opposition to this destructive initiative.
    If you would like to help, please email info@goldrushexpeditions.com for more information on how you can help. If you have any contacts in the media that can help to bring publicity to this issue, please let me know.Your history is being eradicated now, and you need to make your opinions heard now to stop the destruction.
    Thanks for your time and efforts.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow OGM is upsetting me about as much as the liberals trying to remove my gun rights and minority races being treated like kings. At every bit of news, the future seems more and more grim. Its sad that an area like this is planned to be destroyed. I completely agree with the statement that OGM is going too far and is an organization that we do not "need." OGM is out of control and I'm tired of seeing their gates over mines that I've driven hundreds of miles to see.
    Our precious history is being eaten by these tyrannical organizations each day. While my political and personal views extend well beyond just what the OGM is doing, I'm getting tired of being forced into a lifestyle somebody else wants me to live. When mines, caves, and other related destinations are removed from my use, on my public lands, I'm being forced into their desires. The discovery of the closings in the northern Tooele Mining District Area, such as the Ophir area, were a heartbreaker. Owners of the land and mineral rights even had their own mines gated, which had to be forcibly removed causing damage to the already delicate entrance.

The Salt Lake Tribute article states, like many uninformed organizations, that "Old mines pose safety perils. Curious kids and other explorers can get trapped, injured or worse. Some shafts contain lethal gases. " While partially true, they don't point out that a large majority of mine safety incidents occur in coal mine and at entrances of mines, hence the reason for originally choosing to close coal mines. Most mines in Utah do not pose the threats to the degree that the media would have us believe.

Mines are safe for those who are educated about basic safety of mines.

More on mine safety can be found Here.

In terms with Mojave Underground, I also extend the wish for each user to become more actively involved in these issues. Please email or PM our friend one_bad_rover and ask what you can do to help. Speak Up!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Im In!

Hey I'm In! Heading down to help this weekend!

-Mojave
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Crystal

Yes we are! I am way excited! This will be one of the better trips.
        Well put response Mike. I agree with you completely but you know that. . .

Comment

• Jake
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2007

Thats a pretty cool story! I would help out but, I live a little too far away. Mabe another time but, good luck. I want to see the results.
          -Jake Burgess
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
          Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

We've finished this event, for a synopsis of what happened, please visit:

-Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...