X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Utah mines

Where is everybody? Has anybody been to any new and exciting mines in Northern or Central Utah that are worth exploring? I am looking to find some new places.
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Snow is falling along the Wasatch Front and ironically I just picked up a fantastic book about the mines of Big Cottonwood, specifically the Sunken City Tunnel worked by Roy Newman, aka the Blind Miner. More on that here:

Other than that, I did some poking around mines in AFC this summer... more plans for that next summer. The rest of my underground exploring has been far south or far north, outside of Utah for the most part.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2013

Did you find any extensive workings that have access in AF? Regarding the Newman tunnel, I don't imagine that one has access, does it? If it is the one I am thinking of it is right off of the road, and is heavily gated. Do you know much about the Cardiff mine and the Howell-Buxton mine up next to the Cardiff? I was up there this summer and it looks like the Howell-Buxton is still being worked. Any information on that?

- Horace

Comment

• Danb
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Sep 2009

I poked around the mines east of Stockton a few months ago. Explored the Tip Top and showed the wife the area on the ATV. Up at the Hidden Treasure we met the grand son of the owner of the Ophir Hill mine. He let us tour the above ground workings of the Ophir Hill. For Big Cottonwood Canyon, if you hike up above the main Cardiff mine dump you will come across a cement foundation. Just to the east of it is a decline called the Beef Stake. It was bricked up but later opened. It drops down to the main level of the Cardiff which was flooded. That was 20 years ago. Don’t know what it looks like today. We used to go in the Blind Miners tunnel. The main drift is about 1000 ft. long with several other drifts hundreds of feet long. About a 1-2 hour exploration trip. There is/was a locomotive in there and an ore cart that has been taken out. Another one up Cardiff fork is the Tar Baby Mine. It has a gate on it but you just have to dig under it and crawl through. Fill in the hole when you come out. Not a big mine but fun to explore.
        We do it underground and under water.
        Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Mar 2013

Where can I find the tar baby mine (approximate)

- Horace

Comment

• Danb
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Sep 2009

The Tar Baby is about half way between Doughnut Falls and the Cardiff Mine. Going up there is a left fork. It is at the end. 40° 37’ 5” 111° 39’ 13”
            We do it underground and under water.
            Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2013

Thanks Danb. I am heading out to Ophir/Dry canyon this weekend. Are there any adits that may have access that you are aware of? (I don't do shafts and any roping at this point)

- Horace

Comment

• Hawkeye-TP
                Mojave Teen
                • Feb 2013

We'll have to get you doing shafts with us, Brahmabull. The base of dry canyon has some fun small mines. I've explored a good chunk of Lakes of Killarney, but not all. It was cramped and dusty, but fun. Some sketchy wood ladders going up raises that were entertaining to climb on.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Sep 2010

As you go up Dry Canyon a little before you get to Jacob City there is a road which forks to the left of the main road. It takes you to a mine adit which is open on the right.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Hawkeye-TP
                    We'll have to get you doing shafts with us, Brahmabull. The base of dry canyon has some fun small mines. I've explored a good chunk of Lakes of Killarney, but not all. It was cramped and dusty, but fun. Some sketchy wood ladders going up raises that were entertaining to climb on.

Can you teach an old dog some new tricks?

Never done shafts, but would like to learn.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Hawkeye-TP

Hawkeye-,

Yes, I have been meaning to do a couple of shafts, I just haven't yet! That would be awesome and it opens up a lot more mines that you can explore. Robert and I went out and found a bunch of mines with possible access around the Ophir area, so there are plenty of places to go for the winter!

- Horace

Comment

• Colton Gardner
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Jul 2013

I'm signed up on the Salt Lake Grotto email newsletter with the intent of learning how to rappel with them, but haven't been able to go out yet. I'd love to go out this summer with some folks who want to share their experience and teach a "new dog new tricks"

Comment

• Colton Gardner
                          Mojave Baby
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Brahmabull1018
                          Where is everybody?
                          And that is a great quesiton! I'm not a huge poster (used to have an old account with many more posts), but I used to love getting on hear and reading what everyone is up to! Miss those good old days.

Comment

• Hawkeye-TP
                            Mojave Teen
                            • Feb 2013

Sorry, I've been too busy mining to post

Colton, the Timp Grotto also does great trainings usually once a month down in Lehi. I also go quite a bit on vertical adventures and can be willing to teach dogs new tricks. Ask Brahmabull! We're trying to get him on a rope.

Comment

• sanpet
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Mar 2011

Danb was the locomotive battery powared or was it run with a tram or steam? thank you sanpete

Comment

Working...