X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Mines in American Fork Canyon, Ut

Does anybody know of any mines in American Fork canyon, Ut that are open and have access? If not, does anybody have any trips to any worthwhile mines in Utah recently? I would love to hear about it. I am trying to get my summer exploring planned out
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Usually they won't open until memorial day weekend and sometimes later. You can always call
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

There are a dozen or so accessible mines in AF and double that which have been reclaimed in some fashion. The most prominent mines are going to be in Mary Ellen Gulch and include the Live Yankee, Glove and Silver Bell mines.
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ExpUt
        There are a dozen or so accessible mines in AF and double that which have been reclaimed in some fashion. The most prominent mines are going to be in Mary Ellen Gulch and include the Live Yankee, Glove and Silver Bell mines.
        Thank you. Have you ever been into any of those mines? Are they worth exploring?

- Horace

Comment

• Rubyredvet
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Sep 2010

The Silver Bell at the top of Mary Ellen Gulch is worth going in. It's a fairly new mine and the tunnels are huge compared to most.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Rubyredvet
            The Silver Bell at the top of Mary Ellen Gulch is worth going in. It's a fairly new mine and the tunnels are huge compared to most.
            Thanks for the info. What do you mean by recent? How recent do you think? The reason I asked if any are worth going in is because I have heard that most of the american fork mines are now flooded with water during most of the year....

- Horace

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2013

Oh and is the silver bell gated, or is it open with easy access?

- Horace

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Brahmabull1018
                Oh and is the silver bell gated, or is it open with easy access?

Not gated, opening is huge, looks like a cave with lots of large boulders on the floor. Upper adit is smaller and looks to be collapsed. Looks like upper adit connected to the lower thru a verticle shaft. I believe it was mined in the 70's. It's at about 10,000 ft elevation. If you've never been to mary Ellen Gulch, it's a beautiful place. Road in is very rocky and slow going. I go in on ATV. Usually go in spring and fall. No water inside. Road goes right to the lower adit.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Mar 2013

Rubyred vet -

Yes I have been up to Mary Ellen Gulch - I took that road on a dirtbike last summer and it was not fun! But once we hike up to the group of mines on the left side (as you are going up). I found several shafts but all were closed. I found an adit that had been covered with dirt, but the dirt had sloughed off enough for me to squeeze through but I didn't go in far because I was dirt biking and didn't have any gear. I think I saw the Silvver bell on the opposite side of the road, up on the mountain. How far down from the adit that is collapsed is the opening that you can access? Is it fairly easy to locate? Thanks for the info! I am definitely going back there this summer.

- Horace

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Mar 2013

Nevermind on location, I see where you said the road goes right up to it

- Horace

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Sep 2010

It's hard to see until you get way up the canyon close to the opening. As you know the road is a b*tch until you get past the dump piles on the left. Road then turns to mostly dirt. Probably can't get there for a while since it is so high, the snow hangs around for a while. If you want company, give me a shout when you plan on going.

Comment

• ExpUt
                        True Mojave
                        • Jul 2008

Thank you. Have you ever been into any of those mines? Are they worth exploring?
                        Yes & Yes.

The Live Yankee site is the large tailings pile that you approach as the Mary Ellen Gulch road gets really rocky. It was serviced by a tram (towers and load-in tipples still visible) that bounced over the ridges to Deer Creek City (site of Tibble Fork Reservoir). The Live Yankee is collapsed ~40' into the mountain, the portal was back-filled but that has since been breached. The first section is often under a foot or more of water but it's neat to see the old compressor station (power was run from Snake Creek over Pole Line Pass). Above the Yankee claims are the Globe Mine, Mary Elton Hilton and further up the canyon's switchbacks is the Silver Bell which was worked in the 80's by Uinco. It is still a current claim with private owners, as is the Globe and Yankee (both owned by Snowbird).
                        Kurt Williams
                        CruiserOutfitters.com
                        ExpeditionUtah.com
                        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Rubyredvet
                          It's hard to see until you get way up the canyon close to the opening. As you know the road is a b*tch until you get past the dump piles on the left. Road then turns to mostly dirt. Probably can't get there for a while since it is so high, the snow hangs around for a while. If you want company, give me a shout when you plan on going.
                          Yeah that sounds good to me, I will let you know! I am wondering if it is possible to just walk there, rather then beat the hell out of my dirt bike going up and down that rocky area - it was very slow going the last time I rode up and down it... are you familiar with any of the mines to the North over on Miller hill (I think) and are any of those accessible that you know of?

- Horace

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ExpUt
                            Yes & Yes.

The Live Yankee site is the large tailings pile that you approach as the Mary Ellen Gulch road gets really rocky. It was serviced by a tram (towers and load-in tipples still visible) that bounced over the ridges to Deer Creek City (site of Tibble Fork Reservoir). The Live Yankee is collapsed ~40' into the mountain, the portal was back-filled but that has since been breached. The first section is often under a foot or more of water but it's neat to see the old compressor station (power was run from Snake Creek over Pole Line Pass). Above the Yankee claims are the Globe Mine, Mary Elton Hilton and further up the canyon's switchbacks is the Silver Bell which was worked in the 80's by Uinco. It is still a current claim with private owners, as is the Globe and Yankee (both owned by Snowbird).
                            the live yankee must have been the one I saw by the tram structure. The dirt has sloughed off enough to enter. Are there any mines that you know of in the area that have significant workings that are accessible?

- Horace

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Sep 2010

Yeah that sounds good to me, I will let you know! I am wondering if it is possible to just walk there, rather then beat the hell out of my dirt bike going up and down that rocky area - it was very slow going the last time I rode up and down it... are you familiar with any of the mines to the North over on Miller hill (I think) and are any of those accessible that you know of?

Anything is possible, lol. Just think it would be a long walk. Don't know of the Miller Hill area as I've only spent time in Mary Ellen Gulch. I've always gone in on ATV.

Comment

Working...