X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Centennial Eureka mine collapse in 1914

I have a county history book that says 12 miners were killed in the centennial-eureka mine in 1914. The collapse happened in the Oklahoma stope in the mine. Does anybody have any more information on this?
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace
  • sanpet
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2011

You might try the MSHA.

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

I will have to go through my tintic stuff. You might check with the tintic museum in eureka, its a pretty cool place. Not sure about winter hours, but be sure to take a couple bucks as they work on donations only
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Kiel
        Mojave Miner
        • Feb 2009

After I typed that response, I remembered all about utah digital newspapers! It's an awesome site for searching old articles. I found a bunch of stuff searching oklahoma stope
        Underground Baby!

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Kiel
          After I typed that response, I remembered all about utah digital newspapers! It's an awesome site for searching old articles. I found a bunch of stuff searching oklahoma stope
          http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm/search/s...c/cosuppress/0
          Kiel - Awesome, Thanks!

- Horace

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Kiel
            http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm/search/s...c/cosuppress/0

Kiel - Quick question. One of the newspapers I looked at said the Oklahoma stope is at the 1,600 foot level... Is 1600 meet measured from the top of the headframe or is it measured from the lower holden tunnel? There are 2 entrances to this mine - one way up on the mountain with the headframe (shaft) and a tunnel way down at ground level. So I am confused as to where the 1600 foot level could be. I have talked to people that have been in the mine, and the lowest they can get is the 700 foot level, so 1600 feet seems really really deep.

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

It depends on the mine. I'm guessing they started at the top, as that's where the head frame was. If I recall correctly I think the main 4 compartment shaft was 2200 feet deep. My books are all put away due to some construction at my place, but I will check the map if I see them
              Underground Baby!

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Mar 2013

Kiel - Actually I figured it out - it is measured from the headframe down. Still, it seems that 1600 feet is really deep because I have been in there and the lowest I have seen is 500 foot level. Wow.

- Horace

Comment

Working...