X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawkeye-TP
    Mojave Teen
    • Feb 2013

Mineral and Chemical Questions

Hi all. I figured there is no better group of people to ask about strange minerals and chemicals found in mines than you! Who better to ask than mine explorers. My mom? Hardly! So I ask you, what did we get into in this last mine?

In several locations we came across green ooze leaking from the walls. This ooze was solidifying into flow stone and stalactites. This particular photo is of collapsed rocks at the bottom of a raise. There is definitely a level above us. So my thought is that this is a chemical spill leaking down from above and mixing with copper or other elements in the rock and crystalizing. Now I reveal the odd twist...

...The crystals oxidized to white powder once I broke them off. We took samples of a stalactite forming on a thread hanging from the ceiling. I kept it in my truck cab for a day. When I went to grab my cool green rocks they had turned white and powdery.

When I stepped on the crystal I found that it is still green inside. So I figured the oxidization was caused by UV light exposure and or some changes in the air composition. I left this out for two days now and the insides have not changed to white. There has been no further oxidization.

In these same tunnels we found two other odd formations. The ground was covered in places with a thick carpet of what I am calling sulfuric cave popcorn. I'm calling it this not because it smelled but simply because this stuff seemed like your standard calcite cave popcorn, but was yellow and greenish, and was somewhat fragile. As we walked on it it would crunch and sink like a softer spungy substance. It did not smell particularly sulfuric.

Then we got into pools of black/dark red liquid. Often this liquid was surrounded by the sulfur popcorn. There were many pools in many tunnels. Some had a solid black surface you could crack and punch through to the liquid below.

Here is one of the puddles covered in an orange liquid floating on top. A bat's impact cleared the orange surface liquid away revealing the dark red beneath. In this particular tunnel there were a lot of sulfur popcorn and black pools and we counted at least 6 dead bats. We decided this was a little unnerving and moved on quickly.

So what on earth is any of this stuff? Any ideas on any or all? Any cool chemicals and minerals you've found in mines?
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

I'm not sure on any of that, but cool pictures, thanks
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• sanpet
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2011

What pictures?

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sanpet
        What pictures?
        I thought I was the only one who couldn't see the photos....
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Hawkeye-TP
          Mojave Teen
          • Feb 2013

Not sure...I uploaded them here on the site. And if you click them they go to my albums...here on this site. Oh, you know. They say they are waiting moderator approval...so check back in a few.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Looks like Kiel needs to get out of the mines and get in here and approve the pictures! LMAOO
            Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

how about now?
              Underground Baby!

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

When I click in the space where the photo should be displayed I receive this message:

vBulletin Message

Invalid Photo specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Joanne
                Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Hawkeye-TP
                  Mojave Teen
                  • Feb 2013

Any luck with the photos now?

Kudos to leavittwoodland for figuring out the mineral in the first 4 photos. It appears to be melanterite in two different forms. The stalactites have picked up some copper which gives it the green/blue coloring. Melanterite oxidizes white with changes in air and humidity.

I read somewhere that sulfuric acid is often found with melanterite and you should not touch with bare hands. Though I can't find where I read that now. But it makes me wonder if the blood-black pools were highly acidic. I'll have a volunteer stick a finger in next time.

Comment

• ExpUt
                    True Mojave
                    • Jul 2008

Still no photos on my end
                    Kurt Williams
                    CruiserOutfitters.com
                    ExpeditionUtah.com
                    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...