X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hispo33
    Mojave Child
    • Nov 2010

some general questions

I dropped here some posts few years back and now I see you developed your webpage, forum and movie channel by far - congratulations!
    I'm part of mine exploration team from Poland and recently we started to investigate if there will be possibility to visit US for mine exploration. American West seems to be a promise land for mine exploration looking at your webpage Our investigation is at very initial stage of course and I don't think we'll be able to execute such expedition in this year but everything starts with the first step and here I need your help.

Could you please help me with highlighting some best in class explorable mines like:
    - deepest ladder mine shaft or deepest mine in terms of total descent from entry to lowest available level
    - largest mine in terms of miles of available tunnels
    - biggest underground chamber
    - greatest mine artifacts you can see underground

One more thing - are there any interesting mines in the area of Klondyke Arizona? This is probably most recognizable spot due to gold fever but are there any really spectacular explorable mines?
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

there isn't a lot of big, safe, laddered shafts around here. Probably the best one was 300-400 feet of good useable ladder between levels. The mine that had the largest amount of tunnels that was easily accessible was the ophir hill at more then 20 miles, but we don't have access anymore. There are other mines that are still accessible in the 5 to ten mile range that are pretty easy in utah. There are other mines out of state that easily reach into the 20's. Biggest underground room had to be 5-600 feet long and 500 feet tall I've seen in the last year. I prefer to not list the names of these mines here
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dawn_CL
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2009

I dont think you'd be too welcomed in Arizona though since most mines in Arizona are either patented, claimed or are on private property and i dont think they would want you in their mines. I know i dont want anyone going through my mines as I have too much of a liability issue to worry about should someone get hurt in them. Even though i make it an extreme point to make them as safe as possible, that still doesnt lessen the lawsuits id have to face should people go in them and get hurt. Once you claim or patent or outright buy a mine site then YOU are the one thats solely responsible for what happens in and around that mine site (if its not sealed off) and not the BLM's responsibility(on unpatented claims).And besides, I have either steel doors or heavy steel screen type doors(the kind of heavy screen they use in concrete) on the entrances of all my mines here in AZ and those doors are locked with locks made right into the doors so they cant be easily picked or the doors taken off the hinges or whatnot when im not there. I hate doing this but again, its liability issues, plus, alot of people will go into mines and destroy or damage things and steal whatever is not bolted down and/or both and i just have way too much invested in my mines to allow this to happen and i cant be at all of my mines at the same time to be able to watch everything.

Also, here in Arizona, if you are caught in and around open mine sites that are not claimed or anything and a Sheriff or any of the forest rangers or BLM rangers sees you then you will definately go straight to jail for criminal trespassing IF you have no proper paperwork showing that you have a legal association with that particular mine you are going through(a legal claim or property deed). This state started bearing down on all the mine explorations ever since those two girls in Chloride fell into an open mine shaft when they veered off a trail they was riding on with ATV's. Even though it was the girls faults for not staying on the trails, the mines was still blamed on the incident and still are to this day when people fall into them by being a bunch of idiots.

I dont recall of anywhere known as "Klondyke" in Arizona. Are you sure you're not meaning Klondyke ALASKA? Or maybe its a town that was once in existence here but no longer is? I know of MOST of the old ghost mining towns here but not all of them.
      Last edited by Dawn_CL; 01-08-2014, 11:29 PM.
      Dawn

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
        I dont think you'd be too welcomed in Arizona though since most mines in Arizona are either patented, claimed or are on private property and i dont think they would want you in their mines. I know i dont want anyone going through my mines as I have too much of a liability issue to worry about should someone get hurt in them. Even though i make it an extreme point to make them as safe as possible, that still doesnt lessen the lawsuits id have to face should people go in them and get hurt. Once you claim or patent or outright buy a mine site then YOU are the one thats solely responsible for what happens in and around that mine site (if its not sealed off) and not the BLM's responsibility(on unpatented claims).And besides, I have either steel doors or heavy steel screen type doors(the kind of heavy screen they use in concrete) on the entrances of all my mines here in AZ and those doors are locked with locks made right into the doors so they cant be easily picked or the doors taken off the hinges or whatnot when im not there. I hate doing this but again, its liability issues, plus, alot of people will go into mines and destroy or damage things and steal whatever is not bolted down and/or both and i just have way too much invested in my mines to allow this to happen and i cant be at all of my mines at the same time to be able to watch everything.

Also, here in Arizona, if you are caught in and around open mine sites that are not claimed or anything and a Sheriff or any of the forest rangers or BLM rangers sees you then you will definately go straight to jail for criminal trespassing IF you have no proper paperwork showing that you have a legal association with that particular mine you are going through(a legal claim or property deed). This state started bearing down on all the mine explorations ever since those two girls in Chloride fell into an open mine shaft when they veered off a trail they was riding on with ATV's. Even though it was the girls faults for not staying on the trails, the mines was still blamed on the incident and still are to this day when people fall into them by being a bunch of idiots.

I dont recall of anywhere known as "Klondyke" in Arizona. Are you sure you're not meaning Klondyke ALASKA? Or maybe its a town that was once in existence here but no longer is? I know of MOST of the old ghost mining towns here but not all of them.
        Dawn_Cl - You mentioned you own some mines in AZ? Do you actually mine for gold in them, or mine for other things? Do you allow people to explore them if they sign a notarized release of liability form? The reason I ask is because I appreciate people who buy mines to preserve the history that the states try to destroy. The only bad thing about private ownership is that most owners are (understandably) hesitant to let other people in to explore and experience the mines and the history and the artifacts, somewhat making their preservation neutral... because if nobody can go in there and see it, what good is its preservation? Again, I definitely understand why but there has to be a way to let people in under their own liability. Nice to meet you
        Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• Dawn_CL
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Brahmabull1018
          Dawn_Cl - You mentioned you own some mines in AZ? Do you actually mine for gold in them, or mine for other things? Do you allow people to explore them if they sign a notarized release of liability form? The reason I ask is because I appreciate people who buy mines to preserve the history that the states try to destroy. The only bad thing about private ownership is that most owners are (understandably) hesitant to let other people in to explore and experience the mines and the history and the artifacts, somewhat making their preservation neutral... because if nobody can go in there and see it, what good is its preservation? Again, I definitely understand why but there has to be a way to let people in under their own liability. Nice to meet you

Actually, even though people may sign a liability release, that still doesnt cover alot of other things. Im still in the midst of RE-developing and making every effort i can to make the mines as safe as i can (at least so it satifies MSHA and OSHA standards) but theres good lawyers out there that dont care about signed liabilities, especially when they have to answer to insurance companies. I think, before id allow anyone to explore my mines, it would be quite awhile until i get things more legal and safe enough for the mine exploration thing.

I mine whatever puts money in my pocket. As of right now, ive got agreements with another mine regarding all the zinc i pull from the mines. Especially my main one. They get all the zinc i can provide in exchange for milling my ore. Since my main mine is very heavy with zinc and i figured since i dont have the proper mill then making deals with mines that DO have mills was the way to go. However, before i thought about this, one day when i was out working the mine, a surveying team from one of the other big mines out around here was out doing some surveying in order to locate mines that was not under claim but had an, at least, useable and minable amount of zinc in them. When i mentioned that the mine im working in has alot of it, they mentioned that the mine that they was surveying for was looking for mines that have zinc in them and that they MIGHT be interested in talks with me over the zinc in my mine. After that is when i was able to make the deals. They use the zinc in some way to process copper ore.

Anyways, right now ive got more than 10 mines out around the State. Some i may keep, some i may not. It all just depends on how i feel at the time when i go to work them and if they are profitable enough for me to screw with. Since the mining laws state that you only need to work ONE mine in order to keep up your claims then thats what my plan is.
          If i do release any then it may be just my surface workings since i dont bother with surface stuff. However, if i do that then ill just be on the hunt for better and bigger mines out there.
          Dawn

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
            Actually, even though people may sign a liability release, that still doesnt cover alot of other things. Im still in the midst of RE-developing and making every effort i can to make the mines as safe as i can (at least so it satifies MSHA and OSHA standards) but theres good lawyers out there that dont care about signed liabilities, especially when they have to answer to insurance companies. I think, before id allow anyone to explore my mines, it would be quite awhile until i get things more legal and safe enough for the mine exploration thing.

I mine whatever puts money in my pocket. As of right now, ive got agreements with another mine regarding all the zinc i pull from the mines. Especially my main one. They get all the zinc i can provide in exchange for milling my ore. Since my main mine is very heavy with zinc and i figured since i dont have the proper mill then making deals with mines that DO have mills was the way to go. However, before i thought about this, one day when i was out working the mine, a surveying team from one of the other big mines out around here was out doing some surveying in order to locate mines that was not under claim but had an, at least, useable and minable amount of zinc in them. When i mentioned that the mine im working in has alot of it, they mentioned that the mine that they was surveying for was looking for mines that have zinc in them and that they MIGHT be interested in talks with me over the zinc in my mine. After that is when i was able to make the deals. They use the zinc in some way to process copper ore.

Anyways, right now ive got more than 10 mines out around the State. Some i may keep, some i may not. It all just depends on how i feel at the time when i go to work them and if they are profitable enough for me to screw with. Since the mining laws state that you only need to work ONE mine in order to keep up your claims then thats what my plan is.
            If i do release any then it may be just my surface workings since i dont bother with surface stuff. However, if i do that then ill just be on the hunt for better and bigger mines out there.
            Dawn - That is very interesting. I wish I had the time/resources/money to do something like what you are doing, but I would do it up here in Utah. There are some awesome mines here in Utah that are disappearing due to the state blasting the entrances and everything inside is likely lost forever, which is sad. I would love to tour any mines that you would be willing to allow, I know that might be a ways off. History is interesting to read, and even more interesting to see!
            Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• Dawn_CL
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Nov 2009

I had an interest in a mine that Kiel posted in another thread, however, once he mentioned it was in Utah then i lost interest in it. The reason i wouldnt want mines in Utah or California is because ive just heard way too many bad things regarding how stringent both States are in mine closures(not to mention DOGM). In those states, i think they will close your mine whether or not you are currently working it(IF you dont have the proper legal stuff that they want) but thats not the only reason i decline from having mines in those States. For example, in California, they nearly stopped all dredging or at least made it nearly impossible so in hopes that it would discourage those that was into that type of thing. Im not into the dredging thing but theres many out there that are. This is just a small example of the way California does regarding anybody wanting to hold a mine. I think Arizona next on the list if the State keeps allowing California legislators into the State Senate and if Arizona happens to be next on the list, and since i had my mines BEFORE the new legislations would take place then id already be 'grandfathered' in and that would make my mines 'exempt' from whatever new laws they wanted to impose. This would also go for new laws regarding BLM owned lands. Im not exactly sure if the 'grandfather law' works in other States but it sure does work in most cases in Arizona.

When i first started out doing the mining thing, i was as broke as the next person but i happened to hit a fairly good sized pocket of free milling gold in one of my other mines and that gave me the financial resources to be able to go this far with it. So even if you dont have very good financial resources to do it, it can still be done, just on a smaller scale. The biggest problem ive encountered while in the mining industry is the actual ore processing. ANYONE can dig, and do the usual mining without having the need for much financial resources but when it comes to actually milling and processing, THATS where the financial resources become a dire must, if you expect to do it right, and that was the main problem i was facing back when i started. All in all, i just happened to hit the right area at the right time and knew what i was looking for and at once i hit the vein. After i hit the vein, all the processing wasnt a concern anymore, cleaning the vein, vialing it all up and selling it became my concern.

To this day i still keep my mining trend on a very small scale, this way im not having to face all the permitting and all the other crap it takes for all the bigger mines out there.
              Dawn

Comment

• sanpet
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Mar 2011

Want some fun try to open a coal mine in Calf.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Nov 2009

i wouldnt even bother lifting just a rock pick in CA! LMAO
                  Dawn

Comment

• hispo33
                    Mojave Child
                    • Nov 2010

Dawn - thanks for sharing those inside pice of information! That's really amazing that in US you can still OWN a mine or two

Instead of pushing all of you for more info I spent some time studying information and maps already posted on this forum. That gave me some better understanding of mine exploration opportunities in your area...

... and in the meantime me and my fellow explorers decided we want to try to have a trip to US

We submitted this Expedition project to “HAVE COURAGE” Award which take place in Poland every year. This foundation sponsors one expedition and with your votes we have a chance to win this year! This MU mine exploration community is pretty big, I believe you could significantly change our scores if you whish so we really count on your support!
                    Feel also free to forward this to any individula who do you think would support us with the vote.

How to vote?
                    1. Visit our submission page (unfortunately available only in polish language), type your email address and hit pink ‘Zaglosuj’ button:
                    http://www.miejodwage.pl/glosuj.php?!=ziemia&id=166
                    2. Log in to your email and click activation link (some mailboxes are putting this email into Spam folder so if you don’t see email in your mailbox it waits you in Spam folder )

More information on our trip you can find here:
                    http://goldrushtrip.wordpress.com/gold-rush-mine-exploration-expedition-english-version/

Direct link to short movie compilation highlighting some of our exploration moments you can find here (here as you can notice I got inspired by one of recent MU movies so thanks for that as well):
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2CYwdYMhQ

Comment

Working...