X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leavittwoodland
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2013

CC #2 not advisable

So a good good friend of mine went into Chief #2 tonight. They entered at about 7:45pm and descended at least 250'. Getting in is tricky, and getting to the ladders is even trickier, but once you get to the ladders you have an eternity to the bottom. The ladders are in fair condition until you reach the wet walls, which are at about 200'. Also right about at the 200' maybe 250' level is the first tunnel, but it is very disappointing. The tunnel has 12-18" of water in it for the first 5 feet, then you can see a ladder system that goes down but it too is underwater. Below this point the ladders in the main shaft are NOT stable and probably should not be attempted.

Can somebody help me understand the water at that shallow a level? The shaft itself was not under any water at this point and continued for at least another +1500' with no water. But that one tunnel was flooded. Could it just be an underground pocket of water, or aquifer of some kind? Once at that point there seemed little reason to go further if all the tunnels below had water. It doesn't make sense to create a shaft that deep only to battle water from 250' and below?

It is highly recommended NOT to go into Chief #2, as it is far too much work, far to life threatening, trespassing, and disappointing...from what i heard of corse!
    Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Usually it will leak in at a fracture point. The actual water level is probably much deeper, but its not uncommon to hit water at multiple points
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• sanpet
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2011

I have seen lots of wells driled and I worked on a driling rig for Bendex United Geograft on oil serech and have hit water as high as 80 feet down 100 yards away from the 1st hole as deep as 600-1000 feet down. Water flows in strange ways sometimes. Also in drilling for drinking water you can hit a stinky water that is unfit to drink. Move the rig 100 feet and hit sweet drinking water.

Comment

• leavittwoodland
        Mojave Child
        • Mar 2013

That is very interesting!! It might be worth it to venture farther down if that is the case. Doing so carefully is the tricky part. I dont know much about geology and just figured once you meet water you meet water and that was that. Kiel do any of your books tell where the levels are, or does anybody have any information like that? When i look in the "Geology and Ore Deposits of the Tintic District" book, i can not find an entry about Chief #2, i can only find one that covers chief, and i figure that is not the same one. Chief #2 seems to be much newer than that book would have covered. If you get a chance and find anything let me know, if the next level is at 400-500' then it might be worth it, but much deeper than that makes the climb too grueling for my friend to try.
        Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

The Chief #2 is much newer than "Geology and Ore Deposits of the Tintic District." Water can pool anywhere in a mine, from rainwater, from an aquifer, from anything. It just depends on the geology whether it stays or runs deeper. The water level in Eureka is pretty low, but most of the workings are wet to varying degrees... which makes for sketchy ladders, rotting square sets etc. I'd high highly recommend an oxygen meter for anyone going deep into any of those mines. Also make sure if you do go deeper to be on rope and really look into that meter if the air isn't actively circulating.
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• lobster68w
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Dec 2008

The Chief property is still owned by Chief Consolidated. They don't take kindly to trespassers, or so I've been told. Be careful because if one of the old timers (Rawley or Adrian) who works for them sees you, they will call the Sheriff. Criminal trespass in Utah County is going for $500-750. Or so I've been told...

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• leavittwoodland
              Mojave Child
              • Mar 2013

I agree with you both! There are too many reasons not to go to Chief #2!

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Sep 2010

I'm no attorney, but isn't is simple trespass unless you refuse to leave when told to leave, in which case it becomes "criminal trespass"? Don't ask why I think this is the case. lol

Comment

• sanpet
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Mar 2011

Trespass is just that TRESPASSING and it can you dead. Lots of people in the history of the west have been killed by just trespassing

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Sep 2010

I doubt that simple trespass can get you killed in this day and age. But I am not advocating the violation of "No Trespassing" signs. Just saying it is not a "death penalty" offense.

Comment

• sanpet
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Mar 2011

Rubyredvet==========Yes there are still places here in the west that getting killed by trespassing can get you killed. Right here in Ephraim there is one man that I know who do just that. In the west there are 2 things that will get you in a very bad way that trespassing and stealing ones water.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Sep 2010

With all the carry permits floating around, I would think that using "trespassers" for target practice could also get the shooter killed?
                        Just sayin that I would think long and hard about shooting a simple trespasser who posed no "reasonable" threat of serious bodily injury or death to me. Now if that trespasser was armed and posed a real threat, that would be a differnt story. If person shoots another and claims "self defense", they had better be able to convince a jury that a "reasonable" threat of serious bodily injury or death was posed by the victim of the shooting. If you see someone breaking into your car or even "peacefully" walking into your house, you can't just open fire on them and claim "self defense".
                        Again, I am not an attorney, but some of my friends are. lol

Comment

Working...