• Show
Clear All
  • fredmcain
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Feb 2013

Dog Killed In Mine Video

Group,

I was wondering if any of you have ever stumbled across this online video:

Does anybody know the story behind this if there is a story? I e-mailed this guy and posted a couple of messages on his "blog". He has not responded. Does anybody have any information on this at all?

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain
    Fred M. Cain,
    U.S. Route 66 Recommissioning Initiative
    www.bringbackroute66.com
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

Looks hokey, chopped up video too. Granted it could be bad air, but judging from the condition and how close the open air was and it was dry, doubtfull
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Spooky! But I'm with Kiel. Not on bad air, but more that it was orchestrated. Seems like the guy was just making a fun little suspense film. Which really as me thinking - I need to make a short film about a haunted mine, with real explorers.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Jeff
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2008

Looks Hoki to me. I am not a huge fan of taking pets into Mines anyway.
        Jeff
        Mojave Mine Team
        Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• fredmcain
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Feb 2013

Mike & Kiel,

There is actually a little more information on this on this guy's blog. The blog can be accessed here: http://jarvismine.blogspot.com/ According to the blog it wasn't bad air that killed the dog but rather he said there was a lot of blood "it wasn't pretty". I hatched the theory of a possible mountain lion attack. At any rate the guy does have some interesting history on the mine. If you scroll clear down to the bottom of the screen and click on "read more" you can see a series of comments he posted. He does appear to have a desire to warn other people to stay out of this mine - for whatever reason. Maybe he bought the mineral rights and thinks there's gold in there!

I did a Google searched for "Jarvis Mine" and turned up a "Port Jarvis Mine" in Colorado. I asked him in the comments section if they are one and the same but he did not respond. I'm with you guys, though. How could he have had a frightening experience like that and just by luck catch the whole thing on camera? Doesn't seem too likely, does it? So, he probably intended it as somekind of a Halloween gag or something, I don't know but the guy does genuinely appear to have more than just a passing interest in mines.

Regards,
          Fred M. Cain
          Fred M. Cain,
          www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• goldrushexpeditions
            Mojave Baby
            • Feb 2013

What an idiot. seriously, its morons like this that give what we do such a bad name. People can hear 10 good things about mining, and then see a dog dead in a mine and they will forget all good and decide that ll mines should all be closed. Ignorant junk that hurts all of us that have an actual interest in these mines.
            Id like to meet up with him in a mine sometime, thats all.
            GRE, Inc.
            www.goldrushexpeditions.com
            goldrush@goldrushexpeditions.com
            385-218-2138

Comment

• fredmcain
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Feb 2013

I agree that there is a lot of confusion, misunderstanding and ignorance out there. Although I have always been somewhat of an abandoned mine buff, there was still a lot of stuff I didn't know, either. I have learned a lot from this group and website and from Mike Schriber's Underground Explorers website, too, that I just plain didn't know.

One thing I would like to say is that in a supposed democracy, I think people should be able to do what they want to entertain themselves as long as they fully understand the risks. There are no law banning white water rafting, rock cliff climbing or race car driving and all those sports are probably more dangerous than underground exploring.

Then there is the issue of all the history that lies in those abandoned mines. Future generations have a right to that history. What we probably REALLY need is a law banning the sealing of all abandoned mines pending further study. I have this feeling that future generations are going to look back at the "reclaiming" projects to seal mines and see that it was terribly and tragically short sighted.

Regards,
              Fred M. Cain
              Fred M. Cain,
              www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• Kiel
                Mojave Miner
                • Feb 2009

I doubt it was a mountain lion attack, it seemed pretty far back in the mine and even with good night vision big cats can't see in the pitch black no light situation like that. It looks like a really crappy blair witch project clip
                Underground Baby!

Comment

• fredmcain
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Kiel
                  I doubt it was a mountain lion attack, it seemed pretty far back in the mine and even with good night vision big cats can't see in the pitch black no light situation like that.
                  I think that I am going to have to return to my original theory that the boy’s dog was, in fact, killed by a very big cat. I tended to agree that large cats would be restricted to the portal area and not venture deeper into the mine but now I have found some new evidence.

According to the forum of the Original Sixteen To One Mine, mountain lion tracks were recently found very deep in the mine at the 1,100 foot level! How the cat managed to get in there is somewhat of a mystery but it was stated that at one point the tracks even went around a puddle of water avoiding it. How in the world did the animal do that in total blackness? Again, another mystery.

The Original Sixteen To One Mine has contacted local wildlife officials in an effort to find the cat and get her out of the mine.

Regards,
                  Fred M. Cain
                  Fred M. Cain,
                  www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• Kiel
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Feb 2009

Mountain lions cannot see in pitch black darkness. They can see better in low light situations then people or a lot of other animals, due to them having more rods then cones in the retinas to absorb very low light conditions
                    Underground Baby!

Comment

• sanpet
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Mar 2011

A mountain lion killing a dog in a old mine? A lion would be more likely to jump over the dog and the person with the dog to get the hell out of there. Now a bob cat would stand its ground and fight. Bob cats will fight more than the lion. When I was younger and in better health we would chase mountain lions with dogs and tree them. Some of the time we would go up the same tree to push them out of tree so the chase would keep going.

Comment

• fredmcain
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Feb 2013

Yeah, who knows. For what it's worth, I sent this guy who made the video several e-mails both on his blog and off list. He never responded.

Maybe he's just some kind of a nut.

Regards,
                        Fred M. Cain
                        Fred M. Cain,
                        www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

Working...