X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Daniel Rex
    Mojave Baby
    • Feb 2013

Lincoln Mine and surrounding mines

Hey I'm new the forum and was searching for for more information on the Lincoln mine and surrounding mines in the mineral mountains than is provided on that wiki page. I've explored the nearby Creole mine pretty thoroughly (probably half a mile of tunnel!) with the exception of the approximately 100ft vertical shaft located in the main entrance and to the right. I'm not sure if there is another entrance or drain further down the mountain as I've been pretty unsuccessful in my search for... I would assume one exists though because the bottom of the aforementioned shaft doesn't seem to be flooded.
    The Lincoln mine seems to be another story all together. While Creole seemed to be very stable and moderately safe (given that its an abandoned mine), the Lincoln mine seems to be pretty unsafe and I was pretty unprepared (unwilling) to get myself more than 50 or so yards down the big shaft headed down through the mountain (sorry if my terminology is terrible I'm learning). Has anyone actually thoroughly explored this mine? I've heard it is the oldest mine in Utah (started in 1858..)and is pretty expansive. I'd love to hear if anyone has any cool experiences in this area or anywhere in Iron County. For being named after the mining operations in the area, people seem to know very little about the history and/or locations of old mining spots.

Any information or cool stories would be appreciated!!

Unfortunately I didn't think to take many pictures when I explored these mines last spring. Here is a photo of the entrance to the Creole mine via Google Earth.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Creole mine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	11484

My only photo of the Lincoln mine actually happens to be my profile picture. I wish I had taken more as it was full of old rail tracks, machinery, pipes, and other cool stuff.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Welcome to Mojave Underground!

We did a trip to the Lincoln area several years ago during one of our trips out to Frisco. You can read about the trip report here: http://mojaveunderground.com/forum/s...hlight=Lincoln

The Lincoln mine has a ton of history. It always ran into problems with water. As such, they bored a tunnel to connect to the main working on the Lincoln to help with drainage. Even today, it flows like a river. I know several forum users know more about this mine than I do, hopefully they jump on and give some input.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• goldrushexpeditions
      Mojave Baby
      • Feb 2013

There is a lot of private ground out there. Be sure to know where you are going. That said there is also a lot of public sites that can be visited. Very large sites out there. More than a few that you can pick gold and galena off the walls. Just make sure you arent on a claim. The Lincoln patent property is for sale. Asking $250k last time I heard, they were willing to take $200k.
      GRE, Inc.
      www.goldrushexpeditions.com
      goldrush@goldrushexpeditions.com
      385-218-2138

Comment

• Michael Daniel Rex
        Mojave Baby
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by goldrushexpeditions
        There is a lot of private ground out there. Be sure to know where you are going. That said there is also a lot of public sites that can be visited. Very large sites out there. More than a few that you can pick gold and galena off the walls. Just make sure you arent on a claim. The Lincoln patent property is for sale. Asking $250k last time I heard, they were willing to take $200k.

Pick gold off the walls.... Ok, well, I guess I'll have to invest some more time out there... Any idea which of those mines through the mineral mountains are public vs private? I have the Google Earth overlay and there seems to be dozens out there.

Comment

• goldrushexpeditions
          Mojave Baby
          • Feb 2013

The mines above the Imperial, just due west of the Old Lincoln have lots of visible gold, there are 5 others within a 3 mile radius that have the same deposits. The majority of these mines still hold significant reserves as miners were speculators just like we are today. Saving sometimes more than half of the vein for that magical day when gold or silver might double in value. As to patent vs. private. The BLM has plat maps. What you need is a 100k topo, Orange is public (BLM), white is private (usually patent), blue is state trust land, purples are usually wilderness, green is FS. Just a little research before you head out.
          It makes the difference in people assuming that AME (abandoned mine explorers) are always trespassing in private sites and assuming that we actually know what we are doing and where we are going.
          Getting caught in a private site breaking rock can get you shot pretty quick, and the land owner has the right inside a mine, its a theft of mineral and the owners have the right to use deadly force to protect their workings.
          I dont know of anywhere that its been tested, but Id hate to be the first.
          GRE, Inc.
          www.goldrushexpeditions.com
          goldrush@goldrushexpeditions.com
          385-218-2138

Comment

Working...