Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

west desert mine

some random pics of a mine I went to in the west desert

Underground Baby!
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Do you have the location of this one too? It seems you know where all the open ones are! Looks awesome
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

Its off pony express about midway to wendover. Lots of stuff off pony express
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kiel
        Its off pony express about midway to wendover. Lots of stuff off pony express
        I'm going to have to take my gear with me next time I'm up in Wendover. My roommate's brother and his family live there so I end up there every now and again.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Jeff
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Joanne
          I'm going to have to take my gear with me next time I'm up in Wendover. My roommate's brother and his family live there so I end up there every now and again.

Joanne
          There are quite a few mines in the Wendover area on both the Nevada and Utah sides. I would definitely think your gear would get a lot of use.
          Jeff
          Mojave Mine Team
          Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Thats a really neat mine. I like how they did the two compartment shaft and made it consolidated. How deep is that mine? Looks as though its not over 40 feet. How far in does those drifts go? Any other shafts down inside the mine?
            Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

Pretty small maybe 30 feet down and stoped out maybe 30 to 40 feet in all directions. Got scared really bad by a wood rat with glowing eyes in that mine ha ha. Cool mine though a little ways off the beaten path
              Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2009

Oh, those wood rats wont hurt you though. I have a few of those in my mines here in Arizona. Ive also got one as a pet that i got as a baby out of one of my mines when i was in there blasting and mucking one day. He fell out of his nest and landed on top of the rock i had just blasted and was getting ready to muck out down there. I felt sorry for him when i tried finding his nest but couldnt find it so i just decided to take him home with me and im glad i did.Ive had him now for around four years or so and he eats right out of my hand and even rides on my shoulder. When i put my hand down to his cage door he will climb up on my hand and up onto my shoulder. He became quite the character to have as a pet.The mine you show there is nearly the same as my first mine except without the headframe, hoisthouse and tipple. Its only about 40 feet deep and i dug out stopes around the main shaft. When i first got the mine it was only 14 feet deep but i blasted deeper (didnt use explosives, only propellent powder) and got the shaft to 40 feet.
                Ive got the ladders down in there like those shown except i opted to lagbolt my ladders end to end into the wall and then cement the lagbolts in place in the rock wall. I have plans to put in the bucket guides also but other things came up and i havent been able to work at the mine for awhile. Im guessing ill be back out there in the spring and ill install my guides in there then. Only thing different that i did in my shaft was divided the shaft into 2 seperate compartments by installing wire fencing and tacking that to the squaresets that was in the shaft, although a few of those i replaced and added on to and then i tacked on my wire fence dividers all down the shaft.

Those are usually the best mines, the ones off the beaten path.
                Last edited by Dawn_CL; 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM.
                Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Feb 2009

Yeah, I'm not worried about wood rats, it was just super close to my face when I was looking under some timbers lol. Your mine sounds like quite the fun project. A couple of the guys and I are planning to try to get a mine this year if it works out.
                  Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Nov 2009

Better get one before our ever-so-beloved BLM shuts them down. I got a letter from the BLM middle of this year telling me their wanting to seal off any open mines ENCOMPASSED by my claims and expected me to pay a million dollar + bond if i wanted to object them closing them. What the hell do they think my answer would be? LMAO. GOVERNMENT for you. Theres tons of other things that this country needs tended to and all they think about is closing mines off so stupid people dont get hurt. I had a longgggg talk with the local BLM office over this very subject one day. It became a joke.
                    I told them that if people on their quads or whatnots would stay ON the trails then they wouldnt find themselves down in mine shafts. I also told them that if people that dont know what their doing would stay out of places they shouldnt be then all of us that do this type of thing wouldnt have to suffer because of some idiots stupidity and that its not OUR fault NOR the BLM's fault, its the stupidity of people.

I also made it a point to mention in that very conversation that day that this so called 'mine sealing fund' theyve got COULD go towards other things more important than trying to erase history off the maps!

Also, is that mine claimed or have anything resembling or indicating that its claimed... or patented?
                    Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Feb 2009

it's been 3-4 years since I went to that area, but I will check
                      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Nov 2009

Actually i meant the open mines ENCOMPASSING my claims, not encompassed IN my claims. In my little rant above, i didnt say that correctly. By this, their meaning the mine sites that surround my claims and not the mines in my claims themselves.
                        Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Feb 2009

I checked that area is all claimed
                          Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Nov 2009

Ok, ill keep an eye on it for when the claims close. Is this in Nevada?
                            Dawn

Comment

• Kiel
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Feb 2009

utah, but negative, I'm watching this area
                              Underground Baby!

Comment

Working...