Moab mines in May 2013 and Uranium mine SAFETY!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

Moab mines in May 2013 and Uranium mine SAFETY!!

Hey everyone, its been a while since I posted, and feels like even longer since i was underground. I am planning a trip to Moab next spring the tentative dates are 5/12-21 and along with several days of 4-wheeling and dirtbike riding, I do plan on exploring several historic and remote Uranium mines in the area. If anyone is interested please PM me and i will include you as the time gets closer in all emails about the meetup. I don't want to post locations openly based on BLM monitoring. I have a geiger counter and do plan on getting some good ore samples of radioactive pitchblend. This being said I also want to give a stern warning to other mine explorers about uranium mines in the san rafael swell and moab area. I recently came across a video on U-tube from the MU from several years ago of them exploring the Dirty devil mines. The safety equipment used was completley inadequate. The decaying minerals in these mines creates extreme levels of Radon gas, as well as Radon daughters, both are extremely nasty. (please google for descriptions if unfamiliar) Simple helmets and dust masks are not enough. Bare minimum would be a good portable radon detector, so you can get the hell out if needed. I plan on entering with a small 30 min SCBA breathing unit. You can also get away with for a short time if you use a gas mask with filters that screen out Radon daughters and Radionuclides.
    Gas mask and safety equipment and gas mask related items from Approved Gas Masks - we specialize in the sale of government and military-grade gas mask gear, protective suits, potassium iodide, and all your domestic preparedness supplies

Even with these its important to limit exposure. I recently made an aquantaince with a retired geologist in the Blanding UT area who has surveyed several in the Moab area. He stated that in several mid to high grade ore mines the radon levels were so high, within 30 minutes of breathing you have had your entire lifetime of Radon exposure, and that the air can be 4-5 times higher than the safe limit. Thats Scary. So please If you plan on attending have the correct equipment. And if you explore these area's or have in the past, get the right gear. Thats the end of my safety rant Hope some of you can make it. Last time I got together with the MU in California it was quite the adventure.
    Last edited by tails; 07-25-2012, 11:19 PM.
  • Hawkeye-TP
    Mojave Teen
    • Feb 2013

Thanks tails. That was a good rant, and sobering. I've gone in several mines in the Moab area without any protection. I just got a new Geiger counter so I can at least have that with me. It is supposed to detect Alpha and Beta pretty darn well. It definitely picked up the radium in the dial of my Grandpa's old travel watch. But hearing radon levels in some of those mines are so high, perhaps I'll now be less cavalier in entering uranium mines.

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

We also found out that the Western Talc Mine in Tecopa has high levels of asbestos. This was reported to us by the one of the mine engineers from the Columbia who lost some friends to cancer (mesothelioma) who had worked at the Western Talc.

So be careful out there!

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...