X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdt1994
    Mojave Baby
    • Jan 2012

Repelling Gear

I would like to know what some good repelling gear is for mines, because i want to learn how to do repelling and get into lower shafts?
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Hi,

Whole books have been written answering the question you just asked.

I am going to recommend a three step approach to learning to do vertical exploring.

1. Read everything you can find about caving and SRT. Most of the techniques and methods that are used in caving can be used in mines. I have found very little written specifically about vertical mine exploring.

2. Get with someone who is experienced in vertical mine or cave technique and learn the techniques above ground. Make sure you are absolutely comfortable above ground before you head underground.

3. Do a few underground trips with a seasoned explorer (or group). Cold, wet, tired, and dark all work against you underground. Pay extra attention to how your exploring buddies rig the anchors. A well rigged anchor will make your experience safer and easier to get on and off the rope.

I realize that I didn't actually answer the question you asked, but if you follow these steps you will learn what gear you need, why each piece is important, and what brands are commonly used. That said most of us use the "frog" system for ascending.

I would suggest you read through this "mini course" to get familiar with the basic concepts and methods. http://cavediggers.com/vertical/

I have a copy of On Rope next to my bed that I have read from cover to cover. If you are serious about learning vertical exploration, I would highly recommend this book for your mining library.

I hope this helped!
    Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

I havnt seen much variety among explorers. Petzl Stop for desenders and Petzl Crull/ASCENSION assenders in a frog system. You will need guidance to learn how to use it safely. Joanne is right about practice...You have to know how to do EVERYTHING with your equipment before being underground.

Comment

• tdt1994
        Mojave Baby
        • Jan 2012

that looks like allot of fun

Comment

• sanpet
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Mar 2011

usmc

I was trained in repelling whyle in the Marines in hawwii in Jan. 1965. At that time I thought I would ever use it again. Vietnam changed that. We were trained to use just the rope going this way and that way around our bodies. I'll be damned if I can remember how to do that. I thought that repelling was a lot of fun.

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tdt1994
            that looks like allot of fun
            It really is a lot of fun and it opens up a whole new range of exploring possibilities. Most of the mines I have visited have been pretty well explored. It is only once I started to learn vertical exploring did I start to experience some of the more pristine sections of mines.

Any fool with a flashlight can walk into a mine (usually with a can of spray paint it seems). The "brave" ones will even climb the ladders. But it take preparation and a bit of pre-planning to explore a mine using vertical technique.

I am afraid that your generation may be the last one to have the opportunity to explore these historic old mines before our state and federal government blasts them all shut. Quite sad really.

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...