Sometimes you just have to get in that mine car and go for a ride. :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Sometimes you just have to get in that mine car and go for a ride. :)

This is a group of us riding mine cars in the Buffalo Mine sometime around 1994-1995. I will admit, every time I went into this mine I looked forward to riding the mine car. Good times.

Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

[QUOTE=CaverStretch;16928]This is a group of us riding mine cars in the Buffalo Mine sometime around 1994-1995. I will admit, every time I went into this mine I looked forward to riding the mine car. Good times.

And THIS folks, is why you find so many mine cars banged up and destroyed in the mines. Some of us could really use those mine cars in mines we work but when they are banged around like that they eventually become useless!
    Dawn

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

holly crap that is the most uninformed statement I have heard in awhile.

Dawn there are no more free carts for you to have because they were relocated by owners or reclaimed to be sold for lawn decorations.

The remaining carts were deemed too damaged or difficult to remove by owners or re-claimers. The messed up ones you find were destroyed by the miners long before someone could take a joyride in them.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ryan162
        holly crap that is the most uninformed statement I have heard in awhile.

Dawn there are no more free carts for you to have because they were relocated by owners or reclaimed to be sold for lawn decorations.

The remaining carts were deemed too damaged or difficult to remove by owners or re-claimers. The messed up ones you find were destroyed by the miners long before someone could take a joyride in them.
        Well those in that video looked pretty good to me to be in good working order, otherwise those dudes wouldnt've been banging them around like that. Also, why sell those for lawn decor when ppl working mines can use them? I personally think most are reclaimed JUST FOR that purpose... for the buck!
        Dawn

Comment

• ryan162
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ryan162

Please re-read this portion of my last post again.... especially the second sentence:

Also, why sell those for lawn decor when ppl working mines can use them? I personally think most are reclaimed JUST FOR that purpose... for the buck!

And i think you forgot to mention that the FREE ones found in unclaimed mines are STOLEN by ones that dont need them. They only want to make that buck off of them and forget the rest of us that may need them to work our mines!
            Last edited by Dawn_CL; 04-24-2012, 09:48 PM.
            Dawn

Comment

• fredmcain
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Feb 2013

Right. It looks like fun but isn't there someway to do this and be a little easier on the equipment? Some of this stuff really is irreplaceable.
              Fred M. Cain,
              U.S. Route 66 Recommissioning Initiative
              www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• Kiel
                Mojave Miner
                • Feb 2009

I'm sure they were no worse for wear. They do get 2-3 tons of rock thrown in them all day
                Underground Baby!

Comment

• fredmcain
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Kiel
                  I'm sure they were no worse for wear. They do get 2-3 tons of rock thrown in them all day
                  Well, I don't know about that. I guess some of you guys might know better than I do what this equipment can stand and what it can't. However, here is something that really did cause some pain to my eyes: I wanted to cry! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W7N-TvG84

That is just plain hard on the track. You can do it a few times without too much of a problem but if it gets done a lot, well, it's hard on the ties. I hope they don't do this anymore!

Regards,
                  Fred M. Cain
                  Fred M. Cain,
                  www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

One of my uncles proudly told me a story about running a car off tracks and off a waste dump and down a cliff wall and watching it explode into pieces at the bottom. Don't think I've ever gotten on somebody for stupid behavior like I did then.
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• fredmcain
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Mike
                      One of my uncles proudly told me a story about running a car off tracks and off a waste dump and down a cliff wall and watching it explode into pieces at the bottom. Don't think I've ever gotten on somebody for stupid behavior like I did then.

I agree that such wanton destruction is a travesty and deprives everyone of the remains of our rich mining heritage. I have heard such things before. I posted a URL link on another forum that was on the Ripley’s Ghost Town site and it just so happened that one of the group members had actually been among the party of this exploration! Sadly, he reported that in the years since this picture was taken, some unkind, worthless, selfish idiot (my adjectives not his) thoughtlessly pushed this ore car into a deep winze. He got the cheap thrill of hearing it crash but now everyone has been deprived of this priceless and irreplaceable piece of Western mining history:
                      http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/peacedove.html

And in this case, Guy Starbuck reports that someone else pushed an ore car off the edge of a chasm at this mine:
                      http://starbuck.org/exploring/spur-of-the-moment-mine/
                      How can we possibly stop this kind of stuff before it is too late?

Regards,
                      Fred M. Cain
                      Fred M. Cain,
                      www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

• Susan Ann Pelton
                        Mojave Child
                        • May 2013

When I was a kid we loved to get a ride on the mine cars. Wheee! Of course we did not destroy them but the memories are wonderful. Now those mine cars are hidden safely away for when the mine is opened up again. Of course anything stealable generally gets stolen. Like the compressor. Someone actually went up there and dug out a dock so they could put a super heavy machine on their vehicle. Hope it ruined the shocks and tranny! Freaking thieves!

Comment

Working...