X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ossyconno
    Mojave Teen
    • Jun 2010

What a major bummer...

I was making a pass through the East side of the Tintic Mining District today on my way to Delta UT and noticed out of the corner of my eye rail ties thrown off the edge of the rail bed south west of the Burgen Mine. I never noticed ties in this area before so I stopped and climbed up the mountain while hoping not to get busted by Mr Security himself and investigated the area.

A Contractor is pulling up the rails of the D&RG's Tintic Branch that were originally laid down in 1892 to ship ore to the Smelters from the mines of the Tintic and Eureka area. They have removed 3 miles of rail already. I think I might be a little put out if they take out the old Trestle.

Sad to see more history disappear from the area.

For more information about the branch use the links below for research articles and a map by Don Strack .

Articles
    Information about the proposed Tintic Southern Rail Road.

Information about Union Pacific's Tintic Branches and Shay locomotives.

Information about the railroads and mining at Tintic, Utah.

Map
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ossyconno; 12-09-2011, 11:31 PM.
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Very sad, I have heard rumors for years that they were planning to reopen that rail line... I guess this is not going to happen.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and history though, very cool!
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Although I have never been to the area, I hate to hear of the history being lost. It seems like commercial/industrial buildings and facilities are never considered historical by those who would destroy them. (Including our own state and federal governments)

Unfortunately once it's gone, it's gone.

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• josh bernhard
        Mojave Teen
        • Jan 2011

Bummer? I'll Say

For the railroader in me this is sad. There's not much of the Rio Grande's branch lines left. I'm surprised I haven't heard from Don Strack about this.
        Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
        *All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• Ossyconno
          Mojave Teen
          • Jun 2010

@ Josh

Don did not know until I informed him last week about the removal.

He said he was out to Tintic last October and was actually surprised the rails were still intact based on the fact that trains have not run down them in the last 25 years.

Last he heard, the OMG guys are still planning on running trains as far west as the Elberta grain facility. But OMG's main interest is the limestone quarry at Keigley.
          Attached Files

Comment

• fredmcain
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Ossyconno

A Contractor is pulling up the rails of the D&RG's Tintic Branch that were originally laid down in 1892 to ship ore to the Smelters from the mines of the Tintic and Eureka area. They have removed 3 miles of rail already. I think I might be a little put out if they take out the old Trestle.

Sad to see more history disappear from the area.
            Yes, it is a major bummer. And not just because of the lost history. Once a rail line has been removed it can be put back only at a very high cost. No one knows what the transportation landscape might look like 50 to 100 year from now. There may one day be a need for this line. That's why I am a firm believer that old, abandoned rail lines should be "rail banked" not removed.

Regards,
            Fred M. Cain
            Fred M. Cain,
            U.S. Route 66 Recommissioning Initiative
            www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

Working...