• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

SLTrib: A Look Back: Kennecott copper mine in the ’30s and ’40s

A Look Back: Kennecott copper mine in the ’30s and ’40s:

Some neat aerial shots of the mine in its early days.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Some great photos in that story. It was interesting to see some of the early electric engines along with the traditional steam engines. Hard to believe it wouldn't be long before the steam engines were obsolete.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

I've got close to 1,000 photos from the early existence of mining in Bingham Canyon and Kennecott. One night shift there at the smelter, there was a problem with one of the network drives - the entire thing was wiped out, except for two folders, one was labeled pictures or something like that. After browsing through it, I copied the entire thing to an external hard drive.

There are some really cool pics from back then!
      I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by acidman1968
        I've got close to 1,000 photos from the early existence of mining in Bingham Canyon and Kennecott. One night shift there at the smelter, there was a problem with one of the network drives - the entire thing was wiped out, except for two folders, one was labeled pictures or something like that. After browsing through it, I copied the entire thing to an external hard drive.

There are some really cool pics from back then!
        Very cool, what a lucky find. Is this something you would be willing to share in one format or another? Would make for a great MU Meetup Presentation or burn it to a CD and I'd buy a copy!
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ExpUt
          Very cool, what a lucky find. Is this something you would be willing to share in one format or another? Would make for a great MU Meetup Presentation or burn it to a CD and I'd buy a copy!
          I'm definitely willing to share 'em. Heck, if I knew how to do it and had time to blow, I'd add them to the MU Galleries for everyone to browse through. They aren't in any chronological order, so you end up going backward and forward through time... One of my favorite pics out of the group - because it's funny and somewhat unbelievable - shows the outhouses built on stilts over Bingham Creek. I guess as long as you live at the top of the creek, things were okay. LOL

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

I'm definitely willing to share 'em. Heck, if I knew how to do it and had time to blow, I'd add them to the MU Galleries for everyone to browse through. They aren't in any chronological order, so you end up going backward and forward through time... One of my favorite pics out of the group - because it's funny and somewhat unbelievable - shows the outhouses built on stilts over Bingham Creek. I guess as long as you live at the top of the creek, things were okay. LOL
            Very cool. Would you be willing to burn a copy for me? I'd be happy to cover the disc, postage and a 12 pack for your time. LMK
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• acidman1968
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ExpUt
              Very cool. Would you be willing to burn a copy for me? I'd be happy to cover the disc, postage and a 12 pack for your time. LMK
              Trying to burn approximately 1,200 pics onto a DVD right now... Hopefully it works.

No need to cover the cost of the disc or postage - but if you want to supply a 12 pack of anything, I rather enjoy this stuff:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pepsi-throwback.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	11329

PM me your mailing address and I'll see what I can do about sending it off - although it may be Friday before it actually hits the mailbox. I go back on night shift tomorrow (Tuesday) for three nights.

Comment

• acidman1968
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Jun 2010

Oh, and I should probably warn you that not all of the pics are from Bingham Canyon or Kennecott. There are quite a few pics from other, more modern mines, along with numerous pics of haul trucks and other equipment.

But overall, there are a lot of pics of the early years of Bingham Canyon.

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

Oh, and I should probably warn you that not all of the pics are from Bingham Canyon or Kennecott. There are quite a few pics from other, more modern mines, along with numerous pics of haul trucks and other equipment.

But overall, there are a lot of pics of the early years of Bingham Canyon.
                  No problem at. I just pm'ed my address over. Thanks!
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...