• Show
Clear All
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

Anybody know what the heck this is?

Hello,

I just got a new mine to add to my collection of mines (ones i have claimed) here around the Kingman area and i found this peice of metal out there. I know it had something to do with mining but i dont know what it couldve been used for. Anyone have any ideas?

In Pic 3 it shows a swivel on the underside of the object and pic 5 shows my helmet in reference to the size of the metal object.... and yes thats a Mohave Underground emblem on the side of my helmet along with my Justrite carbide helmet light.

Also, even though that metal object looks like it might bend in the center (near where the swivel is), sort of like a clamshell would, but it doesnt. The center is solid with large rivets in it. Looks to me like it mightve been a homemade job and two peices of scoop shaped metal with the ends riveted together and the swivel fitted onto the underside. Anyways, i dunno.

I will be posting good pics of my newly aquired mine (the one where this metal object is) in the next few days.

Dawn

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown metal object at Silver Mtn Mine 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	11462

Name:	Unknown metal object at Silver Mtn Mine close up.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	11463

Name:	Unknown metal object at Silver Mtn Mine showing swivel.JPG
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	11464

Name:	unknown metal object at Silver Mtn Mine top shot.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	11465

Name:	Unknown metal object at Silver Mtn Mine with helmet for reference.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	11466
    Dawn
  • hightech
    Mojave Baby
    • Dec 2008

It looks like it might have had wood attached. What looks like nails in the side may have attached some wood structure that has since decayed. The brackets at the ends might have been clamped around the wood.

The piece in the center doesn't look like it supported much weight.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by hightech
      It looks like it might have had wood attached. What looks like nails in the side may have attached some wood structure that has since decayed. The brackets at the ends might have been clamped around the wood.

The piece in the center doesn't look like it supported much weight.

Its a very heavy peice. Actually it takes nearly all i got just to move it around. Ive been thinking it mightve been part of a ore shoot that swiveled in order to swivel around and fill ore cars from above. Just inside the entrance of my mine (the mine where this metal peice is located at) is an open stope (a pocket or room type stope) that is directly above the tunnel and im thinking possibly this might have been the ore shoot they had fixed between the stop floor and the roof of the tunnel and used that to fill the ore cars below. Of course, this is just a ballpark guess.
      Dawn

Comment

Working...