X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Western Talc Mine - WARNING!

A few of us have been corresponding with a man who was the head engineer at the Columbia Mine out by Tecopa, CA. He reported to us that the Western Talc Mine has high levels of asbestos in the talc deposits. He says that he knows miners who died of cancer that he feels was directly associated with the asbestos.

With the known carcinogenic effects of asbestos, I would recommend people stay out of the Western Talc Mine.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • sanpet
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2011

smart

I think you are very smart on that kind of mine. I have black lung from my working in the coal mines of Utah and it is not fun. But coal mining gets in your blood. Coal mining and the 8 years I spent in the USMC are the best years of my Life.

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Comment

• tails
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2010

I wonder If the asbestos is localized to just that vicinity or the entire mountain range. If thats the case I would be very carefull when exploring furthure west out towards the Ibex mine and beyond. There are several huge talc mines in that range that are much harder to get to but may share the same compunds and mineralization, due to them all being in the same mountain range. I always use a dust mask as minimum even if everything looks ok. You never know whats floating around, hanta virus, valley fever, etc.

Comment

Working...