X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Park City orders property owners to seal old mine holes

Park City Council to property owners: cap your mine shafts and tunnels or we'll cap them for yo
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Jeff
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2008

Thanks for the post Kurt. It would be interesting to see what kind of inventory numbers the private property owners come up with.
    Jeff
    Mojave Mine Team
    Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Once again we are going to lose more of our mining history. I'm still astonished that these officials seem to have no idea that they are destroying a large segment of our mining heritage. I would have less heartburn if they gated the adits, but many will be closed so they can never be accessed again. I just don't understand the obsession with closing mines.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but it seems like many of these people feel guilty about past mining activities. Almost like we have defaced "mother earth" and are trying to wipe out the "sins" of the past. Has the green movement become its own religion?

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Devin
        Mojave Child
        • Aug 2010

This is one more step by big government to strip rights away from private citizens and private property owners.

Joanne I think you are right on with the green movement...It certainly seems as though they worship the creation, not the creator--putting 'mother earth' above anything else, which is unfortunate and dangerous.
        Last edited by Devin; 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM.
        -Devin

'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it.'
        -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Joanne
          Once again we are going to lose more of our mining history. I'm still astonished that these officials seem to have no idea that they are destroying a large segment of our mining heritage. I would have less heartburn if they gated the adits, but many will be closed so they can never be accessed again. I just don't understand the obsession with closing mines.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but it seems like many of these people feel guilty about past mining activities. Almost like we have defaced "mother earth" and are trying to wipe out the "sins" of the past. Has the green movement become its own religion?

Joanne
          Unfortunately, I'd have to say "yes", the green movement is pretty much a religion these days...

Three years ago I posted this question on Yahoo! Answers:

Are Global Warming & Environmentalism becoming "new religions" of the 21st century?

In many cases, you've got people repeating the same information - chapter & verse - without really understanding the data/information they're quoting - but it sounds good, so they quote it to convince the "unbelieving infidel". Is it so different than people from any/every religion quoting verses from the Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon, or Torah - to try and convince people of the "truthfulness of their cause"?

On one hand, you've got the zealot believers of Global Warming who's religious fervor of "the truth" will lead them to burn SUVs and such. On the other hand, you've got the "unbeliever" who think the zealots are nuts...

Is it druidism, paganism, all other "isms", or just downright BS?

Would Al Gore be considered the "Pope" of these new movements? And G.W. Bush the "Anti-Christ"?
          I posted it in two sections - the "Environment" section, and "Religion and Spirituality" section. There were some interesting answers - and a lot of answers which just reinforced my opinion that yes, Environmental and Green activists have basically become a new religion for the 21st century.

...and sorry for the thread hijack.

As for Park City mandating that land owners cap or seal any mine hazards on their properties to keep the unwary person/dog from falling in - if the mines are on PRIVATE PROPERTY, wouldn't the idiot who fell into the shaft have been TRESPASSING? It's just another case of "government" butting in where they're not wanted.
          I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• one_bad_rover

PC and mine closures.

So this is interesting, because a mine is a feature of the land. Id fight this tooth and nail in court. Show it as historical and a potential future producer.
            Problem is most people are holding these mines cause they think that one day they are going to sell them and get rich. The threat of legal action makes them bow quicker than a cat in a rainstorm.
            And they completely devalue their mines doing this as well, if you can access it, you cant assess it, and therefore, cant sell it. But thats not what the fed is going to lead with. It would be good to get Russ involved and drag PC to court, ****, they have the cash to burn in remediation.

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
              So this is interesting, because a mine is a feature of the land. Id fight this tooth and nail in court. Show it as historical and a potential future producer.
              Problem is most people are holding these mines cause they think that one day they are going to sell them and get rich. The threat of legal action makes them bow quicker than a cat in a rainstorm.
              And they completely devalue their mines doing this as well, if you can access it, you cant assess it, and therefore, cant sell it. But thats not what the fed is going to lead with. It would be good to get Russ involved and drag PC to court, ****, they have the cash to burn in remediation.
              Already looking into it. Anyone know of a property owner up there who is not happy with the prospects of inventorying and then sealing their property? OR anyone know anyone who wants to sell/deed property to a group ready to fight this?

Russ Hartill

Comment

• sanpet
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Mar 2011

Park City

rhartill I believe Park City has some of the most expensive Land in the USA. A friend who was the Park City building inspector has told me of people paying a million $$$$$$$ just for a building lot.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

might have a chunk of mineland up there shortly... will update on May 27th.

Comment

• Kiel
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Feb 2009

Nice Corey, you will fit right in! Good luck
                    Underground Baby!

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Im not sure if I should resent that comment. Im sure they will love me if I get the chunk of land Im watching. Its patent and I should have full control!

Comment

• rhartill
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Jun 2008

Great, I'll try to get a copy of the map of the Park City area under this ordinance...it does seem to include the Silver King, Judge and other properties to the northwest of Main Street. LMK on the 27th!

Comment

Working...