• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Tecopa - May 13 thru May 16

Hi all,

As I mentioned in another post, Speedycaver (Tony) is flying in from England for 10 days of mine exploring in the great southwest. The one event we have settled on is to head to Tecopa for a long weekend of camping and exploring. I’m planning on camping at the east entrance to the War Eagle from May 13 thru May 16. It would be great if some more explorers would join us for all or part of the weekend. I want to do the Columbia so I would prefer for there to be more than just the two of us. I’m thinking it would be neat if he had the opportunity to meet a few of us “Yanks” who love mine exploring.

I’ll also be bringing along some of my Dutch Ovens so there will be some good food too….Click image for larger version

Name:	up2++.gif
Views:	3
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	11434

Please let me know if you plan to join us!

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

I'd make the trip just for Joanne's dutch oven cooking!!!

Not sure what my schedule is at that point, gotta see what my opthalmologist says, but I'd like to see if I can make it.

Columbia huh? I can't remember, do you have enough rope for that or are you gonna wing it?

I'm still looking forward to going back to Tecopa, as I found those new systems out there that none of our group have been to and seen yet. Some day I still need to post the videos of that.
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
      I'd make the trip just for Joanne's dutch oven cooking!!!

Not sure what my schedule is at that point, gotta see what my opthalmologist says, but I'd like to see if I can make it.

Columbia huh? I can't remember, do you have enough rope for that or are you gonna wing it?

I'm still looking forward to going back to Tecopa, as I found those new systems out there that none of our group have been to and seen yet. Some day I still need to post the videos of that.
      I do not have enough rope for the Columbia. I only have one 200' length so I'll either have to borrow or buy some. I don't think I would be able to do the top two drops without rope. If Bill goes, he has a 300' length. Either way I'd like to pick up another 100' - 150' length just to have.

New system eh? I would certainly be up for that! Of course I haven't covered all the mines that are up there already.

Glad you liked the DO food! I have a few recipes that I would like to cook while we are up there this time. If I can find fresh cherries by then I'll make a REAL treat. I usually like to cook a big loaf of fresh bread when I'm up camping, but that requires me to stay in camp for the morning and I don't want to miss out on exploring.

Sure hope you can make it!!

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• go_browns79
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Aug 2010

I won't be able to make the whole weekend but I'll be out there at least a couple days, I'll definitely be out there for the Columbia run! There's a couple mines I saw on the way in that I've been wanting to check out, they've been haunting my dreams.
        Bill

Comment

• Therrin
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jan 2011

Joanne, if I come I'll bring my gear. Even if I don't hit up Columbia with you, you're more than welcome to borrow ropes and whatnot.

The thought of doing Columbia (again) is ...somewhat unappealing at this point

The "new" stuff is pretty crazy though. Found one single mine site that has about 10 to 12 verticals studded all over the side of a hill, and a drift system with false floors immediately inside the portal; which connects to all the other verticals apparently, and has ladders leading further down.

I need to see if someone will carpool with me, gas is just too expensive with my Hemi-V8.

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Just a reminder that we will be heading out to Tecopa this Friday. We will be camping at the eastern entrance of the War Eagle. Tony is flying in from England to see some of our mines so I figure that Tecopa is a good place to start. Might head up to Delamar on Tuesday/Wednesday for some additional exploring. Bill (Go_Browns) says it's an interesting area.

Hope to see someone else out there!

Joanne

Comment

• go_browns79
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Aug 2010

I'll see you out there late friday night or early saturday morning !!! I'll let you know
              Bill

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by go_browns79
                I'll see you out there late friday night or early saturday morning !!! I'll let you know
                Glad you will be able to make it!! I hope your job didn't get cancelled though.

See you there,
                Joanne

Comment

• Therrin
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Jan 2011

WHAT AN AWESOME TRIP!!!!!!!!!

It was nice to spend another 4 days in Tecopa and see COMPLETELY NEW STUFF the entire time! And apparently there's still more to see. What a great location.

It was good to see Matt, Joanne, Bill and Tony out there. Tony was our token UK mine explorer and he showed excellent skill at placing anchors and doing vertical work. I found that he's much like me, in that he'll crawl through anything he can fit his head and shoulders through, and we have some pictures to prove it

We're all still working through our pictures, but I'll be looking forward to getting a pictures thread up for our trip in the near future. I just got home a few hours ago, been gone for 15 days. Trying to get all cleaned up and gear packed away, but leaving again tomorrow for a conference this weekend. Road warrior Therrin. Wooohoo.

Comment

• Joanne
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2009

Yeah, I just got Tony's pictures off his camera before he heads back home. Between the lot of us, we'll have some great photos.

The Delamar Mine was also amazing. It was my first exposure to large scale square set timbering, 60 or more feet high. Just before heading home Tony and I headed back in to check out a few spots and found another level below the main level and above the lowest level. Tony went down without hesitation, but I wasn't ready to head down that ladder without a safety rope. It's going to require another trip to explore further. Oh darn.....

Joanne

Comment

Working...