• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

Fallout shelter mines

I am trying to plan a late spring trip to southern NV and want to get the pulse of some fellow explorers as to who may be able to make it or not. I have put together with the help of several documents I have as well as lists of mines that were surveyed by the US gov for possible fallout shelters a list of these sites. Some were known to be stocked with supplies, and others were surveyed but its unknown if they were ever supplied or not. I have clustered them into 2 general locations. My plan is to due a power trip and check out 2-3 locations per day over the course of 3 days. This trip will be in Clarke county south of Vegas and will be midweek. My plan is to leave phoenix monday afternoon and get to the first location that evening. Tuesday spend all day exploring several sites then camp wherever. Same thing on wednesday. Depending on what we find I will head out late Wed night or early Thursday morning in time to make it too workthursday night . If your interested let me know. I'm shooting for the middle to end of May
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Moved from News to Mines category. News is for solidly planned trips and mining news.

Sounds like a fun trip though. Keep up posted when plans solidify a bit.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• tails
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2010

Thanks, and wildo

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

D'awww... so jealous!

Sorry I can't make it bro. Looks like you're gonna make the trip first, I've been stoked to go check out a bunch of them. Hope you score.

Let us know how it goes =)
        Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
        TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

I have a bit of a scheduling conflict.

I don't know how many of you guys hang out over on http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk but one of their members, Speedycaver, is going to be coming to Vegas for 10 days of mine exploring. He plans to get here on May 10 and leave May 20. I can't take all of that time off from work so I'm hoping that I can line up some folks to explore with him on the days that I have to work. He is a very advanced explorer with tons of vertical experience.

Currently most of the time is unscheduled, except that we are planning on heading to Tecopa for four days Friday, May 13 thru Monday, May 16. The remainder of his trip is currently open.

Tails, if you are open the May 17 thru 19, that might work out well. Speedy is staying at my house so you are welcome to stay here as well if that makes things easier.

Also, anyone else interested in doing Tecopa May 13 - 16??

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• davantalus
            Mojave Baby
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Joanne
            Also, anyone else interested in doing Tecopa May 13 - 16?
            Damn! Shooting two weddings that weekend.

Sadly May is pretty much shot for me. I agree with Therrin - let us know how it goes.
            Last edited by davantalus; 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• tails
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Dec 2010

I have a bit of a scheduling conflict.

I don't know how many of you guys hang out over on http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk but one of their members, Speedycaver, is going to be coming to Vegas for 10 days of mine exploring. He plans to get here on May 10 and leave May 20. I can't take all of that time off from work so I'm hoping that I can line up some folks to explore with him on the days that I have to work. He is a very advanced explorer with tons of vertical experience.

Currently most of the time is unscheduled, except that we are planning on heading to Tecopa for four days Friday, May 13 thru Monday, May 16. The remainder of his trip is currently open. Tails, if you are open the May 17 thru 19, that might work out well. Speedy is staying at my house so you are welcome to stay here as well if that makes things easier.

Also, anyone else interested in doing Tecopa May 13 - 16??

Joanne
              Sounds good. I'll see if i can swing it around those dates. I'm hiking Havasu falls in the Grand Canyon the week before. But I should be able to swing both trips.

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tails
                Sounds good. I'll see if i can swing it around those dates. I'm hiking Havasu falls in the Grand Canyon the week before. But I should be able to swing both trips.
                Have fun at the falls. A guy I work with does that every year and the photos are beautiful!

I'll fire off an e-mail to Speedy to confirm those dates. Those were the dates that he had settled on the last I communicated with him. If his plans fall through I can take a couple of vacation days and make the trip with you. It would be interesting.

Any chance you can PM me the planned mines? I'd like to locate them on my maps.

A year or two back I stumbled across some documents that talked about the local mine surveys. I wish I would have made notes about the mines they surveyed. Nothing I saw indicated that any of them had been stocked. I've also not heard any rumors about anyone finding a cache of supplies.

Joanne
                Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• tails
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Dec 2010

Have fun at the falls. A guy I work with does that every year and the photos are beautiful!

I'll fire off an e-mail to Speedy to confirm those dates. Those were the dates that he had settled on the last I communicated with him. If his plans fall through I can take a couple of vacation days and make the trip with you. It would be interesting.

Any chance you can PM me the planned mines? I'd like to locate them on my maps.

A year or two back I stumbled across some documents that talked about the local mine surveys. I wish I would have made notes about the mines they surveyed. Nothing I saw indicated that any of them had been stocked. I've also not heard any rumors about anyone finding a cache of supplies.

Joanne
                  will do I'll get the PM out in a day or so

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

Hey Tails, somehow I totally missed the part that your trip is scheduled towards the 2nd half of May.

I could probably make that. If I go out for the Tecopa trip, and you show up to that, perhaps I could tail you over to the C.D. mine hunting trip afterwards.

That list is really making the rounds by now =P Knew it wouldn't take long for it to start moving around.
                    I think we've made quite a bit of headway on the Deep Basing search as well. Perhaps we could combine a trip looking for it, since there might be one nearby to where you're already going.
                    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• tails
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
                      Hey Tails, somehow I totally missed the part that your trip is scheduled towards the 2nd half of May.

I could probably make that. If I go out for the Tecopa trip, and you show up to that, perhaps I could tail you over to the C.D. mine hunting trip afterwards.

That list is really making the rounds by now =P Knew it wouldn't take long for it to start moving around.
                      I think we've made quite a bit of headway on the Deep Basing search as well. Perhaps we could combine a trip looking for it, since there might be one nearby to where you're already going.
                      Not surprising. A list with that kind of info is like finding gold in the street Anyway I won't be able to make the Tecopa trip. But I'll send you a PM as well of the locations along with Joanne. And maybe you can swing on by. Give me a day or so to get things and coordinates together. I have to work this weekend so it may take a day or so

Comment

• go_browns79
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Aug 2010

Working construction I never know what my schedule will be like till a couple days before. But with the way the economy is I've had plenty of time off so hopefully I'll be able to join you.
                        Bill

Comment

• TrashRabbit

i dont think i can make it with weekends off.

Comment

• silverstate55
                            Mojave Teen
                            • Oct 2010

I have thoroughly explored the Potosi Mine in the 1990s, before it was closed in 2000/2001. Although is was mapped and listed as a possible fallout shelter, I never found anything Civil Defense related inside. I have found a couple of ore car bodies inside, at the bottom of vertical shafts, and missing their wheels. That's it though.

May is tight for me; I might be able to squeeze a day or two in, but not likely at this point...still dealing with family issues now covering 2 states.

BTW, WTF is it with the Random Question function???? I keep getting denied posting due to "Wrong Answer."

Comment

• tails
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silverstate55
                              I have thoroughly explored the Potosi Mine in the 1990s, before it was closed in 2000/2001. Although is was mapped and listed as a possible fallout shelter, I never found anything Civil Defense related inside. I have found a couple of ore car bodies inside, at the bottom of vertical shafts, and missing their wheels. That's it though.

May is tight for me; I might be able to squeeze a day or two in, but not likely at this point...still dealing with family issues now covering 2 states.

BTW, WTF is it with the Random Question function???? I keep getting denied posting due to "Wrong Answer."
                              Thanks for the info on the Potsi mine. Guess we can skip that one then. And I'm not an expert but i believe the random question is to prevent some sort of auto-spam on the forum.

Comment

Working...