• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Short hike - lower end of Dry Canyon

The weather finally decided to cooperate on a day off, so I went for a quick drive out to the lower end of Dry Canyon. Once I got there, I decided to go ahead and take a short hike up to a mine I've wanted to see for awhile now.

Yeah, I found out how out-of-shape I got over the winter. LOL

First up was a hawk just sitting in a tree near where I parked the truck.

Then I hiked up the road and took the right-hand fork. Near the top of this short side road there's a small area that someone began to mine.

Here's a different angle from a little farther down the hill...

On the way down the trail, I cut across the face of the hillside so I could side-hill to the mine I wanted to check out. The inclined shaft has been gated over (of course), and judging by the size of the tailings pile, it probably doesn't go down too terribly far.

Here's a slightly different angle. As far as the grate goes, it looks like a critter has dug under the bars on the left side - and yeah, I'm fairly certain it's a critter, because I don't think a human can get through that small of an opening (and no, the gap doesn't show up in the pics).
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

On the back side of the little knoll/ridge, there are quite a few prospects visible, but nothing major at all. However, the view across Rush Valley was nice...

I wandered down the ridgeline of the little knoll, then cut down the southeast face to a mine I'd been to before. The one thing that was different was the fact that I'd never seen the small pile of tailings above the main mine. The fence in the pic is to prevent people/critters from going over the sheer drop down to the main shaft.

This one is looking down through the grating, but I didn't really get too close - mainly because I was hiking alone and didn't want to turn an ankle or whatever.

From a few steps back, you can see that the shaft is right at the base of the rock...

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

Here are a couple pics from a little off to one side to give folks an idea of the amount of tailings. One thing about these pics though: You can see some rocks that were piled fairly carefully (not like a rock wall or anything). I wonder if those rocks are some of the ore that was put off to one side and never hauled off for processing...

Just a little off to the side from the shaft is this short side tunnel. It doesn't appear to go very far...

The adit.

And finally, the beast.

Comment

• KDT1970
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Sep 2009

Where are these at in dry canyon I have been there and never seen these mines. Maybe You can PM me the Location.

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by KDT1970
          Where are these at in dry canyon I have been there and never seen these mines. Maybe You can PM me the Location.
          PM sent...

Comment

• KDT1970
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Sep 2009

Sweet Thanks, Looks like another trip is in order.

Comment

• acidman1968
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by KDT1970
              Sweet Thanks, Looks like another trip is in order.

If you ever see a 40-ish guy wearing a wide-brim hat and driving a big black Dodge up in that area, stop and say "Hi"! Click image for larger version

Name:	grin.gif
Views:	1
Size:	690 Bytes
ID:	11306

Comment

• KDT1970
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Sep 2009

Likewise, We usually drive a red Nissan Titan, And it is usually my whole family: Myself, Wife, Son and my 11 year old Daughter. All of Whom love mine exploring. my wife even has claustrophobia but she still goes in she likes it so much.

Comment

• rhartill
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

If you PM me the location as well, I can look it up on the Ophir Cultural Resources Survey Report by BYU from the mid 1990s and try to get a more detailed history on this particular mine...

-russ

Comment

• acidman1968
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by rhartill
                    If you PM me the location as well, I can look it up on the Ophir Cultural Resources Survey Report by BYU from the mid 1990s and try to get a more detailed history on this particular mine...

-russ
                    PM sent... Information about them would be kinda interesting to know.

Comment

Working...