• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

Dry Canyon Area Mine Pics

Does anyone Know The name of this mine? The entrance right now is very unstable.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	11432
    THis is the marker foe the mine.

Name:	IMGP0031.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	11431
    Some building next to the mine.

Name:	IMGP0032.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	11430
    The mine is directly west of theis mine.

Name:	IMGP0007.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	11429
    The mine is right in the center of this pic.

Name:	IMGP0033.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	11428
    Sorry, I can post the google location of it, but I do not like to post locations on a public fourm.
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

According to one of the lists I've used to plot mines in the area, this one was called the "Lakes of Killarney" or something like that... Just down from that area is an ore bin, right?
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

Yes, you are correct. Has any one exlpored this mine?

Comment

• acidman1968
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2010

I have no idea. When I wandered around the surface area a couple years ago, the opening was completely buried/caved in. So if it's open, I'd guess that someone has dug it out a bit. Up the hill a little way - and I believe a little to the left - there's a short tunnel that goes in about 30 feet.

Comment

• KDT1970
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Sep 2009

Well I do know the enterance is very unstable, Just standing there waiting for the camera the rock was trickling down, but yes it is open and could be open quite a bit with a good hours shoveling. I would like to see some pics if anyone has them.

Comment

• lobster68w
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Dec 2008

The one mine that has the wood on both sides caving in is the "Silver Reef" mine. There is a lower level to it, but I don't know anyone who has been down it.

I never know where the Lakes of Killarney are. Very interesting. I'd be in for a hour or two os shoveling to check it out.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• KDT1970
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Sep 2009

My family and I have been in the Silver Reef Mine quite a few times. From looking at the proximity of the two mines. I would deduce that the shaft in the Silver Reef would connect to the other mine. They are almost directly inline with each other.

Comment

• Mike369
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Sep 2010

It's funny that you bring up this mine. I didn't notice it on my overlay until you asked about it. I was out to the Skin Diver (silver reef) mine last week and was wondering where the vertical shaft went. This mine is directly in line with the skin diver and looks to be a good possibility that it connects. I am probably going out this weekend and am definetly going to explore this mine. I'm just not sure if I want to go into that entrance, it kind of seems sketchy. I guess I'll decide when I see it for myself.

Comment

• KDT1970
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Sep 2009

Well with the snow we just had I’m sure the entrance has collapsed a little more.
                  But maybe I’ll try to make it up this weekend too. It all depends on the weather. We up there this last weekend. We drove a lifted red Titan.

Comment

• acidman1968
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jun 2010

Drove up above that area today - all was dry on the roads, however I didn't drive down by the Lakes of Killarney area. Keep an eye on the weather though, starting tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be unsettled through the weekend...

Comment

• KDT1970
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Sep 2009

When i went up last weekend, we took my son so he could ride his motorcycle. and i had him go up the dry canyon road towards jacob city and he said the snow was a foot deep.

Comment

• acidman1968
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by KDT1970
                        When i went up last weekend, we took my son so he could ride his motorcycle. and i had him go up the dry canyon road towards jacob city and he said the snow was a foot deep.
                        I'm sure it was... Last weekend, we had seven inches of new snow in Tooele.

...and I'm sure there's still snow in the canyon itself. I only went to the mouth at the bottom of Dry Canyon yesterday - not actually into the canyon itself.

Comment

• lobster68w
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Dec 2008

I'm thinking I might head out there Sat sometime and do some poking around. I'll post pics if I make it.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• acidman1968
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by coltongar
                            I'd love to hear if you guys check out the lower level of the Silver Reef mine this weekend. I've been in there a few times but never wanted to be the first in the group to go down there. That would be fantastic if the Lakes and Silver Reef met up though.

Good to know about the foot of snow in Dry Canyon though. I thought about heading up there tomorrow, but that wouldn't be too fun (although some conflicts came up tomorrow anyways).
                            I know whoever does explore that lower section will be careful - and if you've got air monitoring equipment, I'd suggest that gets used. There's no telling whether or not there's any air movement down in that lower section, so there is definitely a potential for bad air...

Comment

• Mike369
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Sep 2010

Well I'm probably not going out to Dry Canyon this weekend. The weather is not cooperating. I also need to get our air meter to take with us and I'm not going to have it this weekend. Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll try to head back out and do some exploring. It might be a few weeks since I'm going to Moab for Easter.

Comment

Working...