• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Survival on Mosby Mountain

What an adventure my brother Chris and I just went through. A couple weeks ago, I was off roading on Mosby
    Mountain in the Eastern Uintas looking for sign of the Lost Rhoades Mine. Old Prospectors used to leave signs such
    as crosses, squares, and other familiar shapes in trees. Sometimes these signs were maps or contained maps to the
    location of the mine. Most of them required a basic form of personal understanding to understand the meanings of
    the mines. We were given tips to the location of some of these trees and decided to set out to find some of them.

We left home around 5pm and started the thirty mile drive to location. When we got there, we started scouting
    out looking for these signs. A majority were located on the outskirts of a meadow. I drove the truck into the
    meadow and started toward where the trees were supposed to be. There was about 6 inches of water on the ground and
    a little bit of marsh grass. With my 4x4 truck being so light, it navigated very well through this. The water
    started getting deeper, so I decided to stop and turn around. Right as I was about to hit the brake, we jolted to
    a stop. So I threw the truck into reverse to back out, but my tires started spinning. Great! I thought. I put
    the truck into first and tried pulling forward, with still absolutely no movement. I spend about 5 minutes trying
    to get out with no avail. So I opened my door and with my chaco sandles, stepped out and fell through about 1/2
    inch thick ice and about a foot and a half of water. So being wet, i broke up the ice around the truck and assesed
    the situation. I could only stand the water for about 1 minute at a time and jumped into the truck to warm back
    up. The situation was interesting; my front right tire dropped in between two logs, lodging it tightly between
    them, my back tire had fallen off a a small log and i was trying to stop. So my entire right side was stopped up.
    With no locking differentials, that meant that my tires would spin. We were stuck for good.

Survival mode kicked in. Our first priority was to build a fire and dry ourselves. Our altitude was about
    10'000' and the temp was around 20F. No cell service. Chris wanted to start walking, but that would have been
    suicide. We had no coats, no blankets, no shoes, nothing to keep warm. Just wet sandals, t-shirt, and pants. I
    usually carry plenty of survival gear anytime I go offroad, but do to my move to Vernal, I had not yet put it back
    in the truck. Luckily, I had carried my 2 spare 5-gallon tanks of gas with me. We collected large amounts of wood
    and saturated the pile with one tank. We lit a trail of gas leading to the pile which ignited with beauty. We
    collected water from the marsh into small containers and brought them to a boil. There was a little hot chocolate
    mix in the truck. The ground near the fire was wet, so I cut down small pines and created a pine bed and pillow
    near the fire. After a good twenty minutes of hard work, we had made a small luxury in the woods. We were warm,
    drying, and had collected plenty of drinking water.

Around midnight, Chris got a text on his cell phone. Neither of us had reception within the last half hour
    of driving and the phones currently said no service. So I quickly wrote an SOS text that said our location,
    situation, and needs. We had made the mistake of not telling anybody where we were. After about three hours, we
    finally got a text to go through to my little brother, who was asleep and did not get the text until morning. We
    laid on our pines bed near the fire and watched the stars for the rest of the night. When morning came, we started
    walking back down the road that brought us to our stopping point. About two miles into our hike, we got another
    text from our mother saying the local police had been informed as to our location and was sending the sherrif up to
    get us. We continued and hiked off the road a bit to a peak to see if we could get service enough to call. We
    managed a call out to our mother to inform her that we were ok. We also called the sherrif. Interestingly, he
    told us that since it was forest service property, there was nothing he could do. So we hiked on hoping to see
    somebody. After over eight miles of hiking the rugged roads, we finally met up with some hunters driving a weak
    jeep liberty. The thought they could get us out, so we accepted and the drove us back and they gave it a shot, but
    with no success. The Jeep Liberty was no tread, no lockers, and was too light to pull me out. He just spun his
    tires. So they drove us into LaPoint and the sherrif drove us back to Vernal.

We drove into work and infromed them what happened. We immediatly became very popular through the sight with
    our story of survival. A few employees with bigger trucks offered to pull us out. One had a F-150 and the other
    an F-250. We and a few spectators drove up and tried the truck again. The 150 could hardly budge it. With his
    truck being lighter and having very little tread, he too just spun. So we hooked the 250 up and he have it a small
    try. With much more weight, power, and deep tread, and started pulling to pull the truck out. Like the others, he
    started spinning too. So he put about five feet of slack in the line and ripped back. When the tow straps
    tightened, the back of my truck jumped up about four feet and flew back out of the marsh. I was out! We undid the
    straps and I toted around in the marsh some more to celebrate getting out. The drive home was peaceful.
    I was smiling the whole time. But my joy could only last so long. I started hearing a strange sound and pulled over.
    My rear right tire was blown and loosing air quick. Great. We had dropped the psi of the tires down to about 10lb
    to get better traction. Half an hour later, my spare was on and we
    heading back for the hotel. I layed down greatful that our ordeal was over. Lesson learned, get locking
    differentials and stay out of dark marshes!

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow man.

Wow what an adventure. I would indeed recomend a locking differential! Too bad I wasn't there to survive this ordeal with you, it would make it more fun.
    Four cheers for the lost brothers!
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Jolth
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2007

Sounds like a party there mike, im glad you were able to get your truck out and everything is cool. What an adventure!
      Strong Bad: Things were just about to start getting crazy go nuts!

Comment

• joegibbs
        Mojave Child
        • Sep 2007

That is really dangerous. You could have not run into that guy and had a terrible time getting out.
        Who hides in the shadows? Who lurks beneath? Who is a puppet, who grinds his teeth? Joe Gibbs

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Funny - I just got stuck today doing something similar. Found a HUGE snow pile from a plow and decided to park on it. At my extreme angle, I suddenly broke through the melter outer layer of the pile and sat down on the frame of my truck. This time, I had an audience watching my get myself out. Handyman jack, chains, and a little fortitude payed off.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• KDT1970
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Sep 2009

Locking Diffs are great, the only problem is when you get stuck with an open diif you are stuck, when you get stuck with locking diffs like my Jeep Rubicon has you are really stuck and can get yourself in some really bad situations. I know this from having done it myself in butterfield canyon going places I probably shouldnt have gone.
            I am glad you are all ok though.

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

Am glad you got out of there with your toes intact! My H-3 has locking diffs as Mike found out at Gold Hill. They really do make a huge difference under adverse driving or off roading. But once you ground the frame of any vehicle nothing is going to help get you unstuck short of a winch... or tow truck...

I did a similar thing at the end of Norway Flats a long time ago... Kia Sportage with 4WD was a pretty agile little climber until the tires sank into the gopher tunnels up there at the very end on the flats themselves. Got it unstuck twice then gave up when it got stuck the third time. Had to walk back out to Mirror Lake highway... about 15 miles...! Hitched a ride into Kamas from the bottom of the mtn. Kia spent the night on the mtn and the tow truck had to rig pulleys off of a couple of trees to yank it back out... He wasn't goin in there either .

Comment

• btay801
                Mojave Teen
                • Jul 2009

Mark1955: You upgraded from a Kia Sportage to a H3 Hummer? Was your Sportage your trade in?

Just jokes of course.

Glad you made it out Mike. Hindsight is 20/20 and the snow disguises a lot of obstacles. I would have made the same mistake.
                The Rhoades mine will be forever a secret. If you even get close there will be Indian "fish cops" to stop you and send you back.

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

I traded in the Kia on a Land Rover...

I think Corery knows where the mine is at approximately.... er was. It was all mowed shut by the forest service a few years back...

Comment

• ryan162
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Feb 2009

you guys carry a hi-lift jack or "farm jack"? sounds like it might have made the difference. there really dangerous but if your open/open they can get you out of all sorts of situations

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Dec 2008

Holy cow Mike!

One word... SPOT.

Mike
                      Underground Explorers
                      California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• ryan162
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mike Schriber
                        Holy cow Mike!

One word... SPOT.

Mike
                        yeah im looking into those too. as far as i know there is some sort of small recal on the new version to upgrade battery life or something. its either that or they are just pllain sold out everywhere

Comment

• ExpUt
                          True Mojave
                          • Jul 2008

Spot or HAM radio could be a potential lifesaver in these situations. You'll find few places in Utah that you can't get out with a proper HAM setup.
                          Kurt Williams
                          CruiserOutfitters.com
                          ExpeditionUtah.com
                          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Joanne
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ExpUt
                            Spot or HAM radio could be a potential lifesaver in these situations. You'll find few places in Utah that you can't get out with a proper HAM setup.
                            Yeah, with the number of repeaters available a Ham radio makes a lot of sense. A lot of the "expedition travel" folks have moved away from CB and other personal radios to Ham radios for their truck-to-truck and emergency communications.

Joanne
                            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ExpUt
                              True Mojave
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Joanne

Yeah, with the number of repeaters available a Ham radio makes a lot of sense. A lot of the "expedition travel" folks have moved away from CB and other personal radios to Ham radios for their truck-to-truck and emergency communications.
                              Very true. You will never really make CB obsolete thus on many of our trips we require CB and a second method, either HAM or FMRS/GMRS types. Just like being underground with dual sources it is our preference that you have two communication sources too
                              Kurt Williams
                              CruiserOutfitters.com
                              ExpeditionUtah.com
                              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...