Rhoades and Spanish Gold - Anyone here an 'expert'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Rhoades and Spanish Gold - Anyone here an 'expert'?

I'm looking for a couple of potential speakers that are well versed on the subject to speak to a group of would-be explorers later this fall. We will be camping right in the shadows of Hoyt Peak (often referenced by the legends). Anyone interested?
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

I'm no expert on it thats for sure but I want to attend what ever shindig you get going on the subject so please let all of us know!!! Who was the guy that wrote the book on it? Doesn't he live somewhere in Bountiful?

Comment

• KD7LRI
      Mojave Baby
      • Jan 2010

Id love to be there to see and film it! Got anymore details for us?

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by KD7LRI
        Id love to be there to see and film it! Got anymore details for us?
        I'm here to form the details

I do monthly customer runs for my customers (I run a Land Cruiser parts outfitter), we do all sorts of random things from trips around the Great Salt Lake, Moab or the Swell to history trips up AF Canyon or mine tours of the Ophir Hill. Basically a way to add value to my customers and I have fun showing people around the state (a secondary business of mine).

We've done trips into the Uintas in the past and even had some hobby treasure hunters around, I wanted this to be a little more in depth. I've got some contacts with some of the 'older generation' of treasure hunters in Utah that I intend to invite, just figured I would check the resources of Mojave too.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Dino
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Jan 2009

Hi Kurt,

I'm no expert on the lost Rhodes Mine, but I do have about four books on it by George Thompson. I also have a friend who has been wanting to show me an old spanish mine on his property up chalk creek on the Northwestern flank of the Unita Mountains. I also have a book on waybills and signs to locate spanish mines. I've explored alot of the area when I lived in Coalville but never did find any spanish mine carvings. I have a place to stay in Wanship and would like to join the tour when you go. I personally own a 83' jeep CJ7, but could probably talk one of my Land Cruiser buddies into driving to avoid the heckling.

Dino

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dino
            Hi Kurt,

I'm no expert on the lost Rhodes Mine, but I do have about four books on it by George Thompson. I also have a friend who has been wanting to show me an old spanish mine on his property up chalk creek on the Northwestern flank of the Unita Mountains. I also have a book on waybills and signs to locate spanish mines. I've explored alot of the area when I lived in Coalville but never did find any spanish mine carvings. I have a place to stay in Wanship and would like to join the tour when you go. I personally own a 83' jeep CJ7, but could probably talk one of my Land Cruiser buddies into driving to avoid the heckling.

Dino
            Sounds good Dino, I'll let you know when it goes down. We've even been known to let some Jeep guys come along

I've got a pretty decent collection of books and articles on the Rhoades legends, all the standard books and my prize possession and early Faded Footprints. While I feel like I could give some pretty good campfire lectures about the mystery and legends, I think it would be best told by someone whom has some real on the ground experience searching.
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• btay801
              Mojave Teen
              • Jul 2009

I am in if I can make it. I have read through the personal accounts of Kerry Boren. And would love to see the fabled Rhoades Mines. In the right season. My grandfather was very involved in the Relief mine/Dream Mine. he lived out his days in Salem believing it would save us all. I have talked to people that clam they pushed an ore cart 1 plus miles in and rode it out at about 20 miles an hour to the gate in a cart!

I would love to see this area, but not in 10' of snow. Please post. Thanks!!!

Comment

• RockRacer
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
                I do monthly customer runs for my customers (I run a Land Cruiser parts outfitter)
                Hey Kurt, I am not sure if I have spent money with you yet. How much does one need to spend to be invited on one of your "Customer Appreciation Runs"?
                Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Tobin,

I'm sure you have to spend at least $3K or so to be invited to one of Kurt's exclusive trips.

Perhaps we should band together and buy a new transmission or something so we can all go, sounds like a blast.

I have spent about as much time as the next guy up in the Uintah's searching for the lost mines. I have actually found two old Spanish mines, but they were in poor shape. I have also seen some symbols on trees up around moon lake. As for my two cents, I have had a hard enough time locating and getting into mines from the 1860's. I can't imagine how overgrown and caved mines 50+ years older than that may be. Also the mines I have been looking for they weren't even trying to hide! I believe that the real treasure is all the legends and stories passed down from generation to generation.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• RockRacer
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                    Tobin,

I'm sure you have to spend at least $3K or so to be invited to one of Kurt's exclusive trips.

Perhaps we should band together and buy a new transmission or something so we can all go, sounds like a blast.
                    Probably.

That's right, you have a Toyota 4x4 also if I remember correctly.

BTW, I think the best mines are the ones that are hard to get to and not many know about. It would be awesome to find a preserved mine that you have to hike in to get to.
                    Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

LOL, no $$$ amount requirements and in fact I often post them up on ExpeditionUtah too. Just to be fair I do open them up first come/first serve to customers (regardless if they bought a spark plug or a $10k rig build) and go from there, some of these runs cost me out of pocket, while I don't ever charge for the events it makes sense to provide them for the folks that keep food on my table. I'll try and remember to post them here too, it would be great to have you guys along.

Some of our past trips:
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• jrtadje
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Jul 2009

I've been reading the K R Boren Books and would be interested in attending something like this. What if we could get Kerry Ross himself? He's not in prison anymore and I've contacted him on facebook...

Comment

• ExpUt
                          True Mojave
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jrtadje
                          I've been reading the K R Boren Books and would be interested in attending something like this. What if we could get Kerry Ross himself? He's not in prison anymore and I've contacted him on facebook...
                          I'd be all for it, as long as Corey gets to be there to introduce him

Ask him, wouldn't hurt!
                          Kurt Williams
                          CruiserOutfitters.com
                          ExpeditionUtah.com
                          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

I have the Boren books as well and in one of them it states that people fomr the U of U actually went down in the mine. So I wonder of contacting the geology department at the U might also be of some help. I also vote for Kerry Boren to give a talk... if we can get him to. I was always amazed at the book on the mine... in it it says Mel Fischer confirmed through Spanish archives that the gold on the Atocha came from this mine here in Utah... that in itself is almost unbelievable...!

Comment

• jrtadje
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Jul 2009

Well, shoot. Looks like Mr. Boren disappeared from facebook. I don't blame him i guess. Probaby gets bothered by many. Let the search for a storyteller continue......

Comment

Working...