• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

An Open Letter to the Utah Caving Fraternity

Disclosure: These are the ruminations, opinions, and observations of friends and associates of Russell D. Hartill, and as such do not respresent the official position of anyone, including Russell D. Hartill---its just a compilation of attitudes and questions and citations collected over the months from close friends who have asked me to try to find some answers. So I post this hoping to jump start a dialogue and in and effort to get some answers...

An open letter to the caving fraternity:

Why are cavers and mine explorationists often at odds with each other?

We can and should find common ground. The BLM and DOGM often close caves and mines that ought to remain open:

But some cavers feel they are the ultimate arbiters of what is or is not important to save. How hypocritical is it to blog about dropping a canary down a mineshaft, letting your children explore the mine, joking about your exploits being "a high point in the annals of mining history," and then conclude by recommending to the BLM the closure of the mine?

Concluding that nothing of value remains in the mine is a tad arrogant for someone untrained as a mining historian or industrial archaeologist.

However, we can agree on some points:

Don't seal up all mines/caves:

Some possible areas of divergence between mine explorationists and cavers:

1. While not begrudging [too much] their monopoly over managing caves on state land, it is possible that the BLM and the SITLA may be violating anti-trust laws by allowing a single group to have near dictatorial control over access to state lands?
    a.Statements like "The Cave Access Manager has the right to refuse any permit request for any reason" is a tad overbearing [even if those request are not denied for any reason, but for good reason];
    b. so too is the idea that caves cannot be publicized:

Publicity of any of the Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration (“SITLA”) caves should not to be publicized in magazines or newspapers of general circulation nor on radio or television without the express permission of SITLA. Caver's publications like The Utah Caver and the NSS News may contain information on the latest discoveries. Some grotto publications may also have information, but again, these have limited circulation and are not to give exact locations to the general public.

So use of a cave on state land requires one to abide a gag order. Freedom of speech is [not] alive and well in Utah.

Since when does the State have a right to deny information to the general public? Is the general public not good enough to be told about the wonder of caves?
    The State has listed mine features as if they were prehistoric sites whose loaction should be kept secret, yet all the while they are ket secret, the DOGM is planning to seal and backfill them, so as to make their location truly secret...

2. Another draconian measure is the invocation of trespassing charges as follows:

Anyone in Nutty Putty Cave or any other nearby SITLA-owned caves who is found not complying with these access requirements will immediately lose their access privileges and may be cited for trespassing.

So, if a competing group proposed less draconian and more democratic policies, how would SITLA handle the alternative offer to manage the caves on State land?

Finally, does the issuance of a MOU to one group or association of groups constitute a state run monopoly?

Are there any cavers out there that wonder about the legality of limiting and excluding the public from these sites and wonder whether this is truly a democratic process and policy?

The above questions are NOT meant to alienate the caving community, but these are questions that I have heard expressed by the mine exploration comunity and for which I don't have all the answers...all I know is that these questions are being asked...

The bottom line is that we shouldn't fight--we have too much in common when it comes to the limited resources available to us for responsible exploration of the underground we love. We have common enemies and a public misperception of recklessness to overcome. We invite cavers, treasure hunters, gold prospectors, four wheelers and ORV users, coin and token collectors, model railroaders, and anyone with a love and fascination of mining and mining history to join in the conversation we are having about the responsible exploration and study of the colorful mining history of the West.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Great letter, Russ. As you know, most of the questions you ask are my own, along with many other explorers. Looking forward to collaboration here.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Russ, you sir rock! All are questions that deserve an honest answer.

I can't believe the Selma Mine Situation. 'Been there, done that... I suggest you close it'
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Michael_Leavitt
        Mojave Child
        • Aug 2009

Russ: This response is also a bit long winded, but you asked for answers....

Good questions. I think the info I posted in the Nutty Putty topic on this Forum (NUTTY PUTTY CAVE RE-OPENING) sheds some light on the liabilities and move to action. I see your references from our caving sites in your letter and I am looking for similar information from your group. I cannot defend each caver and I know there is a lot of arrogance expressed by both cavers and mine explorers online. Similar attitudes could be found in your forums regarding caves and cavers, so there is no use getting into spitting matches.

I think that it is time, after this response, for me to listen to your group explain your proactive approaches and successes with mine exploration and mine management. Take a moment and brag a bit to me and let me know where your group excels. Personally, the thought of exploring the mines with your group is very exciting to me and I look forward to planning to attend some of your trips in the coming months and years.

I also look forward to making allies in a way that will forge our efforts of preservation and exploration, if that is possible, so that both of our objectives can be served. Russ, you mention the fact that cavers feel like the “ultimate arbiters of what is or is not important to save.” I think that is misconception. You referenced the Selma Mine account as evidence. I think Peter Ruplinger had the right to express his feelings openly in his written description of his adventure into the Selma Mine. He is somebody that you should get to know. He is somebody that was willing to take the time to write a cohesive trip report from a well planned adventure. This is why I included his account on the Tmpanogos Grotto website, of which I am the current webmaster. You would be amazed at how many hundreds of exploration trips happen each year with no written history of the event. Peter was not writing as the end all be all arbiter. He was writing his perspective of the exploration and shared his honest feelings. Enjoy the account for what it is and don’t condemn the caving community as a whole for his thoughts and feelings.

Every cave and mine is not going to be saved. We have to pick and choose our battles. Most cavers gave up on Nutty Putty years ago. If the majority of grotto cavers had their way, it could be sealed and done with while efforts could be better focused on preserving the more glamorous show caves with the delicate features and big vertical drops. In the same light, some mines are going to be closed. You have to pick your battles and focus your efforts. And since many people at the state level can’t tell the difference between a mine and a cave, then it puts us in bed together whether we like it or not.

As for the SITLA requirements, the same issues that rub you the wrong way also bristles the hair on my neck. So let me give my take on the 7 or so questions/issues that you listed...

1) The Cave Access Manager has the right to refuse any permit request for any reason" is a tad overbearing

As it pertains to the hole in the ground known as the Nutty Putty Cave, I have the luxury of accepting or denying access permits to the projected tune of 200-500 per year. It is simple, if your group is over 4 and not exceeding 10, you have a Trip Leader over 18, and you sign the waivers while agreeing to follow the rules, then you are given a permit. When you hear of a person being refused access for some absurd reason, then you can raise your voice loudly in protest. Until then, you are wasting mental effort. As a management team we have given nobody any reason to raise a fuss because there has been no abuse on this point. Our banned list is very short limited to those who blatantly refused to wear helmets. Why they think they are so special is beyond my understanding. How would you like the verbiage changed? Let me know and I will see that the verbiage is tweaked in next years management plan revision.

2) so too is the idea that caves cannot be publicized:

I comply with the request of SITLA. The press usually gets the news stories wrong and sensationalize for entertainment purposes. SITLA prefers me to let their public relations department handle the news. This is their choice. They own the land and I abide by their requests. There is no gag order. As you see here in this thread I speak very openly. Both myself and the management team are really the only one affected by that guideline and this should be a non-issue to the rest of you, unless you hear us complain.

3) Since when does the State have a right to deny information to the general public?

That is a silly statement and I believe the concept is taken out of context. If I want to do a press release I do it through them. SITLA’s main request is that we not publish openly the exact location of the cave to the general public. I freely share it with the Trip Leaders once they have completed the access permit request. They also do not want us to draw undue attention to the cave. Keep it low key. Let those who know about it enjoy it and let word spread on a grass roots level instead of going on TV and radio with announcements and advertisements. It is a reasonable request.

4) Anyone in Nutty Putty Cave or any other nearby SITLA-owned caves who is found not complying with these access requirements will immediately lose their access privileges and may be cited for trespassing.

That is absolutely true. Those without permission are trespassing when they breach the gate and enter the cave. We have the written statement that SITLA is willing to prosecute those in violation. Without that assurance it would have been silly to invest the thousands of private dollars and man hours in the construction of the gate and management of the cave.

But I sense that this is not fully understood by mine explorers as you have prefaced the statement with the term “draconian measure” so let me share with you the written law that backs up the trespassing warning. Please refer to “53C-2-301. Trespassing on trust lands -- Penalties.” Here is a link in the Nutty Putty website “Warning to Vandals” page
        WARNING TO VANDALS. On that web page I have highlighted the important parts as they relate to vandalism.

Personally I tire of the ongoing vandalism to the Nutty Putty Cave. Access is currently free, yet at $64 per lock and sending work crews in for gate repairs, the volunteer bill is becoming almost insurmountable. It takes a work crew of three 6 to 8 hours to make the gate repairs. That is 18 to 24 man hours that could be used elsewhere each time somebody tries to either shoot, grind, or pry the lock off. We need the support from groups like yours to help get the word out that access is free and easy. Let’s immediately drop the “draconian” remarks and pony up some manpower or money to the cause instead of focusing on the injustice of it all. All we, as a management team, are asking is for cavers to agree to follow the rules and access to the cave is granted. Private funding is limited and SITLA does not contribute anything to the management efforts of the cave. Nobody, let me repeat “Nobody” is being paid for their efforts with the Nutty Putty Cave. We are all volunteers volunteering our time and manpower to the cause.

5) So, if a competing group proposed less draconian and more democratic policies, how would SITLA handle the alternative offer to manage the caves on State land?

Are you kidding? I would be all for it. Free us from this burden.... Would you like to be on my management team? I suggest you stop the “woe be us” attitude and get involved. Do you have ideas for a better management plan? If so, then please share them directly with me. Don’t remain an outsider on this point and don’t use phrases like “less draconian and more democratic policies” to fuel a sympathetic fire. Instead, contact me directly and get on board with the efforts. You do not have to be a grotto member to work on our management team. Instead, you have to be willing to work. Are you game? Are you really serious? Or are you just fueling a self-created fire? There is lots of work to be done, and I could use lots of help from the community and special interest groups like yourself.

6) Finally, does the issuance of a MOU to one group or association of groups constitute a state run monopoly?

Absolutely not. After becoming intimately involved with the process, to me it shows that other groups are just “kicking against the *************************s” instead of working hard to develop plans of action.

7) Are there any cavers out there that wonder about the legality of limiting and excluding the public from these sites and wonder whether this is truly a democratic process and policy?

Spoken from the perspective of a true outsider. This is not rocket science folks. Focus your energies, work proactively, and implement a game plan. Then work hard to implement the plan of action. There has been no exclusions. What you deem as secretive and private on the part of the grottos is anything but. Just because there is a gate and lock installed does not mean that you cannot gain access. You just have to be willing to follow the rules for access. Do the grottos often times take the lead? Yes. Are some caves severely restricted for access? You betcha. Sometimes the gate is there to protect you from the hazard, and other times it is there to protect the delicate features and life forms from the irresponsible portions of the public.

Perceptions must be changed about both cavers and mine explorers. And don’t forget there is a huge crossover between the two. My Grandpa was a silver miner from Eureka, and I proudly display his hard hat and carbide lamp on my office shelf. I will be their for Tintic Days next weekend and I will gladly re-hear the stories and histories of my mining ancestors over and over again and pass them along to my kids and their future kids. I still believe that our groups are much closer than would appear on the surface. Once down below the earth we have common preservation goals.

Hopefully the above answers were helpful. I have been direct and forthright. And from the perspective of the Nutty Putty Cave I can respond to any other inquiries. Now I will listen to your group. I really wish I was exploring the mine with you guys today instead of taking care of my honey-do list.
        Michael Leavitt
        Nutty Putty Cave Access Manager
        Orem, Utah
        Michael@NuttyPuttyCave.com

Michael@TheHomeInspector.com
        Michael Leavitt & Co is a full service Home Inspection company specializing in Home Inspections, Stucco Inspections, Thermal Imaging Inspections, Lead Based Paint Inspections, Radon Testing, and Certified Pest Inspections (Termite Inspections).

Comment

• divingbuddy
          Mojave Child
          • Jan 2009

I have been involved with a variety groups from locally organized grass roots clubs to federally funded organizations. I am currently the "webmaster" for the National Utah Token Society. I have organized our information in a free non profit organization fashion. I am also a volunteer of PIT, Passport In Time, a federally funded group of archeologists working with local people, like myself, to help preserve our local historical sites, so we all can enjoy them today and in the future.

I believe in sharing this information and the knowledge of where to go and explore these sites safely and by getting permission. This process benefits everyone.

But where the line seems to be drawn is when a few individuals, representing official “organizations”, decide to limit the actions of private individuals or groups on the pretext these certain groups or individuals will harm the environment, and historical sites by their actions. I believe this to be and unacceptable abuse of power to the extent of self gratification and career justification in order to create a "kingdom" of our public and federal lands.

Information is power and free information empowers us all. Lets all keep the exchange of ideas and information in an open public forum, this benefits everyone.

By keeping our adrenaline pumping every time we find a new location to explore, we feel how the first explorers felt when they were here many years before us. We would not be here if they had been stymied by bureaucratic red tape, barb wire fences and locked metal gates.

Johnny Gallegos
          Tooele, Utah (Born and Raised)
          National Utah Token Society – Webmaster

PIT – Passport In Time – Volunteer
          The home page for Passport in Time.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

dont take this the wrong way... but...

A major difference that we mine explorers run into is that there is a federal mandate (1981?? ) to close all abandoned mines. The DOGM, BLM and FS take this as open season to close ANY mine that is found, claimed, or unclaimed. And in many cases have reclaimed active mines right under the claimants.
            GRE's intent is to get people on nearly every "abandoned" site possible that has any historical reference. Then we have a fighting point to stop the closure and we have (thanks to Russ) been sucessful.
            When we found the CBC it wasnt because it was marked as CBC on maps, it was because it showed as two small adits on Spring Mountain. In an effort to document and possibly preserve these sites, we went out for a weekend.
            The CBC site itself was a disaster when we came upon it. (will have to post some pics) the remnants of the restroom strewn across the parking site, trash, etc... even the lawnmower base that had been used to get a generator up there was tossed halfway down the hill. There was no other markings of this being CBC on either side, just big steel doors. So instead of breaking them open, we filed the claims. And then through research, contacted the Bates and asked them if they had any further infomation about the caves they had abandoned. Thats when they flipped out and told me that there was no way I was going to do anything with the cave, that it was theirs and it didnt matter what the BLM said.
            They only made public once I posted the claims on Ebay, which is what I intended all along, and there was a huge front page story on GRE for over a month that talked about us finding the CBC and claiming it and our intent to auction it.
            Sorry so long winded, but some of this should be brought to light...

Comment

• jasonbx
              Mojave Child
              • Mar 2008

After reading what I will call "The great flame wars of 2009" on various other boards recently, I have decided to put some brief thoughts in my first paragraph. My comments are in no way intended to represent a grotto at large, or even cavers beyond myself. All my comments are in no way binding and are subject to changes in opinion or thoughts at future dates. I reserve the right to change my opinion rather than entrenching behind an incorrect idea, particularly when faced with greater knowledge or understanding imparted by others.

I simply don't have the time or energy today to compile and respond to the many in depth discussions that have revolved around these topics in various locations. So I will start now, and continue to add some thoughts later, and I'm sure my thoughts and this conversation will continue to evolve into the foreseeable future. WHICH IS A GOOD THING! Civil and thoughtful conversation will hopefully lead to much better understanding and more constructive outcomes. I will attempt to avoid the gross generalizations of ALL, EVER, and so on. My apologies if I slip one in there. Each group of people I have experience working with has had a wide variety of viewpoints among their membership, even when they have the same overall goals.

On to the main attraction:

There is much overlap between cavers and mine explorers, as many have commented before. Probably many more similarities than differences. In my experience, both groups tend to be very interested in the outdoors, finding new discoveries and sharing them with others, and of course are very passionate about their niche sport. There are cavers who want to protect mines, and those that don't. Just like there are mine explorers who would like to protect caves, and those who don't care. Let's try not to demonize entire groups based on a few individuals opinions.

I think some of the friction stems from some fundamental differences in approach. Cavers tend to be trained to "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time... " This is usually interpreted that the least impact possible is the best course of action. (Unless there is a reasonable cause for disturbance, which is subjective. May include items such as documentation, scientific knowledge, finding substantially more cave passage, etc...) With this mentality in mind, it concerns some cavers to read a trip report about mine exploration groups using a hammer and chisel to take rock samples in a mine drift, then going on to discuss their visit to a natural cave inside the mine. Even if there are no "samples" taken of the cave formations, simply the potential for this to occur concerns some of us. Many people do not realize until too late just how uninteresting many cave formations look when they are dried out sitting on a shelf at home, and how long they take to form in most caves.

I'm not sure how to overcome the general trust and friendliness issues, other than further education and interaction between the groups. I have learned more about mine explorers over the last year or two, finding out how knowledgable and prepared many of you are, not only with basic equipment, but also gear to check for bad air, etc. I am watching the ever increasing overlap between the members of our groups, and so far I'm impressed with how few problems there generally have been. And the few people I've met in person on various trips and other locations have been interesting to talk with, and I look forward to future encounters.

A short thought I have been mulling over on reclaiming mines and gating caves: There is a growing trend in society to minimize the human impact on the world, an example is the climate change debate. This trend seems to be picking up speed, particularly since as a species we seem to cause a lot of damage in complex systems we don't fully understand. I think that sentiment is going to continue to carry over and people will think we need to undo the "damage" that has been caused by mining. This could increase pressure to cover over mines and return things to their "natural" state, despite the hundreds of years of intervening time. (I'm not familiar with the origins of the reclamation process, this may already be a factor.) In contrast, many people view caves as a natural occurance, and therefore they are worthy of "protecting" from human damage by erecting gates, etc. Which by itself is a disruption. (And of course there are far too many people that cannot tell a mine from a natural cave, and the related problems this can cause.) I haven't decided where I stand on either of these, just food for thought. But I don't think the issue is going to get much easier to deal with in the near future.

I have met very few people that wholeheartedly support gates on anything. But there are many that view gates as the lesser evil with the options presented. Once a area(cave or otherwise) is too heavily visited, there is not currently a good way to reduce the traffic, it typically snowballs into ever larger numbers until a gate or other obstacle goes up. In the past, secrecy has slowed this process with caves, but with GPS and the instant dispersion of the internet, secrecy is not going to work forever. (Even if we wanted it to.) This is an ongoing debate in the caving world, with no consensus in sight. Right now the sentiment seems to be to keep using secrecy for remote areas and other places it is still at least somewhat effective, and pray it works long enough to figure out an alternative method. So the cavers continue putting in long hard hours searching for the next big cave, and then have to figure out what to do and who to tell when it is discovered. I would imagine anyone who found a mine with some value would keep it quiet until they had plans and claims in place as well.

With mine locations, secrecy isn't really an option to begin with. Mines were at some point located, described, and documented in order to make a legal claim. Big mines have tailings piles that give away their location, ghost towns which are nearby, and various other clues. These "clues" are the history that many want to try and preserve and protect. But there are the same liability issues as caves, (if not more) and for mines I don't see many different choices than gates, secrecy, or public education.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but in many cases government records may be difficult to access, but they exist. (I'm sure there are many that aren't recorded, and records have been lost, and thus provide many of the same challenges as finding and protecting caves.)

Both also have issues with protection of artifacts and history. It is too tempting for people to pick up old mine paraphenalia, tools, native american artifacts, bones, etc. How do we preserve these items in either location? Even gates and management plans have come up short in these areas.

Stepping away from the discussion for a bit, have to make sure I can still carry a coherent and relevant thought before I continue this rambling. Feel free to add to, detract from, and generally discuss amongst yourselves...

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

{{{Stuarts Personal Opinions}}}

Great post Jason,

I read it this morning and have been thinking about it for most of the day. I agree with much of what you have said, especially in regards to their being a growing trend toward pretending like mining never occurred in the United States and therefore "covering up the evidence" and burying mining history.

Where possible I will also avoid making generalized statements about Mine Explorers and Cavers. I know that many people on this forum and elsewhere are active members in both communities and share traits/beliefs from both. If I were not so busy exploring mines I would consider joining a Grotto myself and becoming an active participant in the issues facing the caving world.

I also agree that cavers and mine explorers have much in common and that the primary differences are political in nature. One thing I need to point out is that there has been a general lack of communication between the two groups up until very recently when this controversy has "forced" us to interact. A major reason for this being that Mine Explorers have only recently become organized with the creation of GRE and Mojave Underground. Before these groups were organized there was virtually no group for mine explorers. There are still MANY mine explorers out there who are joining us every day and are beginning to make their voices heard.

I think much of the tension between cavers and mine explorers stems from the fact that mine explorers have been labeled as having a "***********************************" hobby by the media, government, and general public opinion. I know that many of us are constantly being assaulted and ridiculed for our sport, therefore we tend to be bitter and aggressive toward anyone we could perceive as a possible advocate of mine closures. Cavers on the other hand enjoy the backing of the NSS and the government through the cave protection act. Grottos can take comfort in the publicly accepted view that Spelunking is a popular and accepted "safe" hobby. Moving forward I would suggest that we make it a point to communicate and get involved in each others issues as they ofter run both directions.

No, secrecy in mine locations is not an option. The state has a list of 98% of all the mine openings and they plan on eventually closing every single one of them.....A very dreary outlook for a mine explorer and a big reason why we are sometimes aggressive in making a point. A mine explorers #1 priority is safety and #2 priority is keeping mines open through activism and preservation efforts. I know Corey has been the target of endless dispute lately, but in my personal opinion he has done more than any other man in Utah for mine preservation. All of us who know him can agree on that regardless of opinion on his recent actions.

I dislike gates very much, but there are some situations where a gate is the only solution. For example, we built a new gate on the Hidden Treasure mine up at Jacob City. I would love to just leave the mine wide open, but it is not my mine and access is allowed because we protect the mine and limit liability by keeping the unprepared out. There are many situations out there that warrant a gate, but there are many that do not. I applaud the efforts of Michael Leavitt and the grottos in keeping the Nutty Putty cave from being sealed up by the state. There is a gate on the cave now and I could debate the details of access, but I will leave that to Russ and others.
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC
                http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• rhartill
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

Taking it for what it is...

take it for what it is---

a great narrative about overcoming challenges in underground exploration that is absolutely ruined by a ridiculous conclusion.
                  Whatever happened to the adage "the journey is the reward?"

"Read my story about searching for caves. It's a fascinating episode that no one else will be able to experience because after my family and friends
                  explored this underground passage, I'm recommending its closure because I have already been there, done that."

I'm supposed to be grateful for his narrative because most people don't even share that. I do appreciate his willingness to write about his experience. It seems he and his wife enjoyed the historical research on the mine--something I too enjoy. His conclusion is what stinks on ice. It's offensive, given his obvious passion for overcoming obstacles in seeking to explore the underground.
                  He was willing to take risks to further advance his knowledge base; yet after his conquest, he wants to deny it to all others, including me, before I have had a chance to document what I feel is important.

It would be like taking a trip down Uncle Tom's trail in Yellowstone to see Lower Falls up close, describing the thrill of descending 500 feet via 300 grated stairs that make you feel like you're floating on air, arriving at the falls and letting the scene take your breath away, but concluding without taking any pictures that the NPS ought to close the trail because its dangerous.
                  Is that narrative at all helpful to the community? Trust me, I'm an expert---I did it, but no one else will want to. Close it.

No, I am personally still having some trouble with his conclusion, and a webmaster who defends a narrative with its ridiculous conclusion runs the risk of alienating all those who disagree with the conclusion--which I still do.

Why does one man's opinion so offend me? Because the opinion, multiplied by years of seeing mining and mining history taking a back seat in America, has made me conclude that we are witnessing the erasing of an entire industry-- small scale mining.

The laws it operates under are understood by a scant few. Colleges that originally were encouraged to teach mining now close their doors and teach environmental studies. According to some agencies, they believe every pre 1976 mine feature and opening needs to be reclaimed, which taking literally is an attack on the legitimacy of mining history itself.

Chances are my grandchildren will not know a lick about the rich heritage and history of mining that built this nation because all evidence of the underground features will have by then be reclaimed.

And the hardest thing to accept is one of my fellow brothers who appreciates the underground and exploring the same, has recommended that a piece of that history be sealed up. Well, you cannot read a sealed book. I like to "read." And I want to share my love of "reading books" with my children and their children.

His original research, if anything like my own research, indicated that the Selma mine broke into a 100 by 300 foot cave of iron ore that he was trying to find on the 200 foot level of the mine.

Comment

• MACaver
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Aug 2009

My own two bits here for what they're worth. Sorry for being long winded.

You ask about why we do the things that we do. I cannot answer for the entire caving community but I can speak for myself and for the ideas and standards to which I have been a part of for over 30 years in the caving community (across the U.S.). This is how I see things and is not the overall opinions, views of other cavers and I may be wrong on a few points here and there. If so then I'll be happy to stand corrected where indicated.
                    When I started out I was basically classified as a spelunker. Since then I had evolved into a caver in that I've learned that conservation and preservation of caves is an important part of what cavers do. Spelunkers come in two classifications IMO. The first are the casual explorer(s) who venture into a cave (read: A NATURAL occurring opening in the earth and this includes those found in Mines that happen to intersect the empty space in the rock when the miners cut through it). These folks may or may not use helmets and may or may not bring 3 sources of lights. They may or may not use head mounted (on a helmet or ball cap) light though now-a-days many are beginning to use those in favor of the hand-held variety. They leave things as they found, take their pictures and enjoy what the cave has to offer and share that with their friends (via pictures and stories) when they leave the cave. They may or may not be fully aware of the impact their visitation(s) have on the cave's eco-system (and yes all caves have a naturally occurring eco-system, some are down to the microscopic level), but they may (or may not) adhere to a "leave no trace" ethic.
                    The other type of spelunker are the beer swilling, dope-smoking, hammer wielding, spray-paint carrying morons who just simply DON'T CARE about what damage they do and will gleefully smash their bottles or cans and strewn their refuse all over the cave floor, break off beautiful formations or paint them in a color they think is best or immortalizing their current sweetheart or themselves on the cave walls. .
                    They'll kill the wildlife in the cave, including but not limited to bats, salamanders, crickets, beetles, etc. They'll urinate, defecate, or vomit without any thought or care as to the possible damage it could affect on the cave's ecosystem. They will be inebriated or well on their way to being so and have little or no safety gear such as rugged clothing, helmets, sturdy boots, gloves, etc. Basically they just don't give a DAMN one way or another... except their own perverse enjoyment.
                    It is THESE type of spelunkers that cavers get up in arms about and try to protect the caves from.

I've explored a number of mines myself http://ralph.rigidtech.com/view_albu...e=Mines&page=1 and have enjoyed doing so. It's been a while since I've been inside a mine of any type but with the right people I wouldn't have a problem going in another one. They can be fun, a bit scary (which adds to the fun) and most interesting. Provided that I and others, enter it properly equipped for the underground. I think that a few could be preserved for the enjoyment of those who find enjoyment in exploring these places.

Cavers do NOT and never have had a monopoly on managing caves anywhere. Monopoly means that we control access to every cave in the state. We don't, we can't and we don't find it necessary to do so. We find a cave that has significance we'll do what we can to preserve it... this means working in cooperation with land owners, private and public and governmental. Those land owners SET the guidelines in which people can enter the caves. We adhere to it and by mutual agreement will manage and maintain the cave with a group (Grotto) of volunteers.
                    Case in point; Logan Cave in Utah. This cave was wide open to the public and is owned by the USFS. It is also the home of a unique colony of bats which are listed as "threatened" by the Endangered Species Act. The cave as you may (or may not know is very popular with spelunkers and cavers) or was. It was also heavily vandalized but the bats were left pretty much alone until a few years ago when a couple of guys decided to take it upon themselves to be exterminators and went over to Wyoming, purchased a quantity of bottle rockets and entered the bat section of the cave with the rockets and a baseball bat and slaughtered over 200 of the animals. The OWNERS of the cave finding out what happened decided to seal it off with a massive gate in an effort to protect the bats (also from errant explorers as some might remember the Scout-leader who fell and died in the rear section of the cave).
                    The people of Logan and surrounding areas were upset and complained in effect "WE didn't kill the bats! Why are you punishing us?" So in an effort to appease the owners of the cave decided to have the gate open for a season (between the bats maternity roosting and hibernation periods). In the first year at the end of the season, a biologist working for the FS entered and found MORE dead bats! Now the cave is closed to everyone unless they have a legitimate scientific reason for being in the cave and are under strict supervision while doing so. Incidentally, the post-gate bat population has recovered and tripled. Showing that such things ARE beneficial.
                    All it takes is ONE (or two) guy to screw it up for the rest of us doesn't it?

I myself have seen damage that gate crashers have affected upon caves that were kept as pristine as possible with the installation of a gate. I remember some 15 years ago entering Nutty Putty for the first time and being surprised that there was very LITTLE vandalism but prior to my leaving the state a few years ago there was spray-paint evident prior to the gating... of which I happily took a part in, err, the gating that is ... http://ralph.rigidtech.com/view_albu...Gating-Project and received no compensation except for a nice bratwurst lunch paid for in part by a fellow grotto member.
                    If putting a gate on a cave or keeping it secret until you have shown yourself to have the same core values that we have is the way to go to PROTECT these underground natural resources then I guess that is what has to be done... or until (as Jason pointed out) a better way is found that will be satisfactory to everyone concerned.

Point is that if you want a part of deciding who and who doesn't enter a cave (mines are totally different for their own reasons IMO) then form your own group, committee and approach the land-owners and say we want to help you manage these resources so that future generations can enjoy them like we do. But up until now nobody else but US cavers have been doing that... and we're not interested in making a buck from it either. We follow the rules of entry best as we may. I myself have lead hundreds of trips to gated (and non-gated) caves without restriction except that they know the rules (as set down by the MOU's,) have shown good conservation ethics as outlined by the NSS, have shown the ability to do whatever technical maneuvers required to visit the cave safely. Many of those visitors I guided were NOT grotto members, and as far as I was concerned they didn't HAVE to be. Many a time I supplied the necessary gear (helmets, vertical stuff, etc) so that they CAN go to the cave. So I'm not a stuck up elitist caver by any stretch of the imagination. I've kicked people off my trips when I've seen them exhibiting anything that could jeopardize the safety of myself and the other people on the trip.
                    We cavers do the things we do because of past experience has shown us that the present method of doing things is the best way to protect and preserve the caves we love. We have decades of experience in dealing with matters of public access, so we just might know what we're talking about here. We've been burned when folks say "trust us" and go to a cave weeks or months later and find it decimated or basically destroyed. Maybe not by the people who said "trust us" but by the people who joined them and showed others who showed others who might fit the second category of spelunkers as outlined in the above paragraphs. What else or how else are we to deal with those people? How would be the best way to identify someone who wants to preserve while exploring vs someone who wants to explore and wreak havoc?
                    We're not elitists... we're just careful because we care for the caves so that they can be preserved for the future visitors... like this cute little one...

Comment

Working...