Ophir Canyon RSVP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crystal

Ophir Canyon RSVP

We are heading back to our favorite location in Utah, Ophir Canyon!

We will be spending the night at our favorite camping site, located on a grassy wooded patch next to a quiet little stream. We plan on occupying most of our time searching for a few famous mines in the area. Expect to see some new historical places in Utah that are not visited very often. This trip will last two days and you can expect to be home by 8:00pm on August 20th. Don't be surprised if you're late though. . .

Gear List:
    Camping gear: Sleeping bag, tent (depending on weather), clothes, etc.
    Helmet/Hardhat: For exploring mines, let us know ahead if you need to borrow one.
    Headlamp: So you can see all the cool mine stuff! And extra batteries!!
    Cameras: Make sure they are charged up and ready to rock.
    Sturdy shoes/boots: These come in pretty handy, waterproof preferably.
    Bring warm clothes! The canyon gets pretty chilly at night and plan for rain.

Food:
    Bring lots of water/sports drinks.
    Pack a light lunch and some snacks.
    Dinner and Breakfast will be provided courtesy of the Mojave Mine Team.
    If you would like to bring something for the group or help with dinner or breakfast let me (Crystal) know.

We are heading out on Tuesday August 19th at 3:00pm from the Common Cents / Exxon gas station just off the 1600N Orem I-15 exit #273 For those of you in the Salt Lake Valley, we will also be meeting people at the mouth of Ophir Canyon on the first main dirt road that splits to the left at apx. 4:15pm.
    If you need a ride let me know now! And hopefully we can work something out.

If you are going for sure please RSVP now!! I need an official head count so we can plan accordingly, please leave a post or PM me.
    If you already RSVP on Meetup no need to do it twice.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I'll be there!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• mymania
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jun 2008

Alas, I can't make it

Comment

• iamsquat
        Mojave Teen
        • Jun 2008

I RSVP'ed for the trip but I am in need of a ride. PM me if you have anyone to give me a ride :P

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Any updates on permissions for the Ophir mines? I know as of last you were still working on it. Any plans for a location change?

I'm in Sandy and likely have a ride for any interested party, mabey a couple if needed. Let me know!

Also, any recommendations on a helmet or a place to get one? A caver buddy really recommends the Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet, hoping to score one today, any suggested outlets that are friendly to the Mojave cause?
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Were still working on Ophir Hill, more definitive plans tonight. Working with somebody who should be able to secure a spot inside the mine. We'll let everybody know by this evening.

As far as helmets are concerned, we'd recommend the Camp Armor. Petzl is a good trusted brand though... whichever is lower profile I say.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Thanks for the update Mike.

Anyone have a recommended vendor? Looks like there are a handful of outlets in the Wasatch Front, I'd like to spend my money at a supportive company or even possibly a Mojave member.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

You know, Jeremiah really knows his stuff as far as helmets and gear are concerned and he knows the area well.

Mojave Underground doesn't have any special outfitter connections... yet... I'm still working on that.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike
                  You know, Jeremiah really knows his stuff as far as helmets and gear are concerned and he knows the area well.

Mojave Underground doesn't have any special outfitter connections... yet... I'm still working on that.
                  Very good, let us know when you do. In the meantime it looks like Backcountry.com has all of the different models in stock, I'm heading there this afternoon.
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Black Diamond cut us a 40% off all climbing gear a few years ago. I dont know that I still have the contact info, but give them a call and get in touch with their PR rep. Getting a $300 rope for $180 is a hell of a deal, plus harnesses, and all the other goods.

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Packing up right now, I'm planning on meeting you guys in Ophir, I'll be in a red Toyota Tacoma. Thanks!
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...