• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Lehi Hospital

Last year, some friends and I decided to explore the old haunted Lehi Hospital.

(ABC 4 News) -- The Lehi Hospital is believed to be haunted because of its dubious history and the appearances of ghostly apparitions.
    The building started as a bank in 1891, the second story serving as a ward house for the local LDS congregation. In 1824, an auto body businessman conducted a crematorium in the basement. It is said bodies would be cut up into quarters to burn because the furnace was not large enough to fit an entire body in.
    In 1926 it became Lehi’s first hospital. It is purported the head doctor hung the head nurse from the front flagpole, and many people have died in the hospital; at least one person died in the elevator. Supposedly, the elevator was so slow the man died waiting to get to the operating room on the second floor.

The hospital was shut down in 1968, and the building stayed vacant until building contractor, Todd Vincze, bought it with the intent to restore it. He found it would take a great deal more money than he anticipated, and after learning the history of the place and having a few ghostly encounters himself, decided to run a spook house to raise funds for renovation.
    ABC 4 News went along with some ghost hunters and a psychic to see if we could make any spiritual contact. Psychic, Karen Baldwin, says a near-death experience has made her more sensitive to spirits in the after life. She’s credited with helping police in missing person cases and has even helped people recover stolen property. She claims to have not known anything about the history of the building, and upon her arrival, asked that no one tell her anything so she could learn it herself..
    She says 40 to 50 “souls” occupy the building from different time periods. She described a man in a white coat as a “man of intelligence and of knowledge.” She also said he murdered someone. She told us she got the sensation of something around her neck and felt as if she was hanging. She said the spirts were angry because they had been made sport of for so long and didn’t like how the building had been changed into a spook house.
    Karen described many things accurate with the history of the building. If she, in fact, had no prior knowledge, that would make her comments remarkable.

The ghost hunters received some activity with their meters and gauges that monitor electromagnetic frequency and temperature. They were able to pick up, what sounded like, voices taped in different parts of the house.
    Reporter, Buddy Blankenfeld, stayed overnight with the owner and two of his friends and says they could hear deliberate sounds in parts of the building where they knew no one was at the time and captured a few voices too.
    Is it haunted? You decide. -----

This, along with other reports, excited us to go inside. We began by planning in great detail using Google Earth. We brought several people along who were afraid to enter. We had these people camp out in thier cars near the hospital to keep watch. We communicated with them and they informed us when everything was clear, when there was police threat, and the like.

To enter the hospital, we grabbed a ladder and climbed into the second story through an open window. Immediatly, we could see and feel the gloomyness of the building. Things inside were dark, dusty, and old. We explored the upper floor, where there was lots of storage from when the hospital was once a haunted house. The second floor was mostly empty, but also had some storage. The first floor was very interesting. It was perfectly decorated as a haunted house. We found the bloody mary mirror, but saw and heard nothing. We made our way down to the basement, where we found the creamatory to be empty. One of us found a small crawl space under the basement. We jumped into this and clammored around, but alas, were not able to scare ourselves or find anything scary. People outside began complaining that we were there too long, so we lowered our latter back down and returned.

All in all, the Haunted Lehi Hospital was cool, but we didn't get the scare we were looking for.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

THis place

This place is freaking awesome, crematory in the basement and all. I wish I could have accompanied you all on this trip, but alas my better half prevented it.
    This "excursion" did prove that a little planning can go a long ways when it comes to tactical urban speleology. I would like to execute some similar events in the future.

-Mojave
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ryan
      Mojave Child
      • Feb 2008

Yes, and I would be interested in participating in those events. I've actually been in there when it was a spook house. Wasn't that scary, and it was overpriced.

Comment

• Jake
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2007

Dude that sounds like a cool place and just the kind of stuff we like. Photography and old stuff.
        -Jake Burgess
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
        Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NakyleeHope

I attended the hospital for him 10 birthday in 2004.
          I was the longest line i have ever waited in and once we got to the front the guy running the line was impressed about how interested i was in the history of this building. He told us that is took quite a while to fix parts of the building making it safe to walk through and as a joke the construction workers made a bet to see who to stay in the hospital all night.
          Some men agreed and thought that simple task of sleeping for a few hours in this hospital would be easy.
          well some of the construction workers had already ran into some problems with these spirits so they were shocked to hear that these men were doing.
          the night the men stayed in the house some strange things started to go on. tools were being thrown at the men and people screaming.
          it was being made clear that the ghost did not want them building the haunted hospital.
          and i dont know if this story is true or if that man was trying to scare me as an innocent 10 year old. but all i know is that i may be young but when i walked in to that building i felt the sense that someone was pushing me out. someone did not want us there.

There was a sign on the top of the building that said "haunted hospital" and me and a few friends would walk by in at least twice a day.
          well one day we decided to walk by and it was a few days after Halloween, the feeling and the energy of the building was very different.
          it almost made me want to cry and just throw up the feeling was to mixed and just horrible so me and a friend are just wondering what is going on.
          So i decide to go talk a look. the sign at the top of the building at been tore in half. and this sign may have been a big piece of card board but you could opening see this couldnt have been the weather. this is what scared me the most about the building. after that and a few other encounters with the ghost the building was shut down. and nothing was done with it for probably about 2 years.

Comment

Working...