X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ace McStud
    Mojave Child
    • Feb 2008

Twilight Zone Tunnel

A few years ago back when I was still actively working on and updating my UE website someone sent me a tip about a tunnel in Provo canyon that the BYU students would go to when they were in the mood for some light crimes/adventure called "the twilight zone".

I checked it out in the summer and found a large tunnel filled with water moving too quickly for a peek inside to be safe.

I lost interest and didn't go back for at least a year and a half, in the dead of winter. We found that with the water turned off for several months the tunnel was bone dry, so we were able to give it a thorough exploration. Halfway through the tunnel we found a steep 50+ ft. slope that looked smooth and worn, the way curbs look when skaters grind on them with any regularity and several bent metallic cafeteria trays at the bottom of this incline. It was pretty obvious people were sliding down this incline on these trays and decided to give it a try. Because I am awesome and hate my horrible life I volunteered to be the first to try. It was difficult to fit on the tray, hold onto it, and also hold a flashlight at the same time so I had to go down in the dark.

It was easily one of the most terrifying moments of my life, within what seemed like nanoseconds my life was in the hands of physics. Immediately I was catapulted down this incline, flying through the air underneath 30 feet of mountain doing what seemed like freeway speeds to an uncertain fate. I'm sure I would have heard wind rushing past my face had I not been screaming like king ************************* scaredy-cat of pansy mountain.

I eventually (it seemed) gently came to a stop on a sandbar at the bottom of the incline. There was a brief moment of silence than I started triumphantly shrieking at the exact same moment my friends shouted down to determine if I was still alive. However it was then that we learned that metal cafeteria trays might not be the best option for this ride, the metal was an excellent conductor of heat and well,
    50 feet of intense friction + metal + ass = pain.

The next time we brought a stack of plastic trays we stole from a wendy's that turned out to be much more comfortable. Over the course of that winter we returned a few times because really the only other ways to catch that sort of buzz during the winter are either expensive or illegal.

Eventually we got bored with it and tried different ways of mixing it up. Experimenting with large pieces of cardboard for more than one person to use at a time (this ended up sucking) or larger trays (such as the kind that bread is delivered on, liberated from behind a smiths). These large trays were excellent in a way, they were too large to control using your feet to brake just enough to maintain the correct uh, heading (I don't know the specific navigation lingo). I was the first person to try this method as well an learned that within moments you'll lose all control and either start spinning or going backwards.

Yours truly showing off my "terror face."

It was fun but seemed entirely too risky. We tried it several times until the tray broke regardless.

The last time we went was last winter and since then there has been a complication preventing further trips.

A few weeks ago ABC 4 featured a story called underground playgrounds, a total bullshit scare-piece. The first half of this video is about the twilight zone but I have no idea who those kids are. I am actually in the second half about the U of U steam tunnels (our cameraman put the video of the trip on Google video {I'm the one making the "Dennis the menace" joke about pushing the big red button}) but I digress. During that first half they speak with one of the Utah valley water overlords and during the course of talking about how very dangerous that tunnel is and how everyone should stay the hell away, he is on camera for at LEAST two seconds pointing to the EXACT location of the tunnel on a big map. Ugh. Anyway, they also talk about how they are aware of this and are taking measure to prevent it. However there is no feasible way of completely sealing that tunnel to trespassers so I think they might be implementing surveillance.

The point is with them feeling the pressure to save the children and everyone who caught that broadcast knowing the location of that tunnel now it might be difficult. The water nazi also does have a point about the tunnel being potentially dangerous, the kids in the video filmed it when there was still water in the tunnel which indicates that it was not the frozen dead of winter when they went, which seems to me the only 100% safe time to go, when you know damn well that there will be no water coming through the aqueduct.

If you guys end up going be careful. But be sure to bring plastic trays with you because this slide is basically the best rush I've ever had with clothes on.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow sounds like a blast. We've heard of this tunnel before, but never really looked into it. Actually, Stu and I used to go to your website years ago when we were more interested in UE.

Good work with the post. Always good to have more locations and interesting articles. We'll definitely end up at least going to look at it... see what the area is like right now...
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Yes indeed

Yeah I have heard of this tunnel a few times, but never really gotten up enough interest to find out where it is. It does sound like a good winter trip when there is really nothing else to do. Perhaps we will go check it out here sometime soon. I used to visit Dead Places on a fairly regular basis to see what you guys were up to. Wow, must have been about four years since I last looked at it. Good work as usual with the post!

-Mojave
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Ace McStud
        Mojave Child
        • Feb 2008

Re: Yes indeed

Originally posted by Stuart
        Wow, must have been about four years since I last looked at it. Good work as usual with the post!

-Mojave
        Heh.

It's been about that long since I worked on it. Actually I have quite a few photos of new places and trip reports written up but because a lot of my friends are computer nerds I am embarrassed of the crap nature of the old site. A few of my geek friends are putting together a sweet new version they're going to use into guilt-tripping me into updating more regularly that should be finished soon.

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Well we went and checked out the Twilight Zone Tunnel tonight. We parked at a park and hiked over without problem. It appears that no security is present, and the gate on the fence was open. There is a small amount (1 inch) of water flowly flowing down, so we didn't investigate much further. Perhaps we'll check it out further when there is no water flowing down.

Hey in the mean time with your site, feel free to continue to post what you got over here. It will be greatly appreciated by many users.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Dead Places

Yeah you should update that beast! I know what you mean about not posting the reports, there are many trips we have been on and pictures/video we have taken that never end up on here. It seems like there is never enough time to explore and post it all. Lately we have been working very hard to get more stuff up on here and this summer we will be all over the state exploring a lot of the thousands of leads we have.

Just an hour ago we went up the canyon and scouted this tunnel out. No new security measures seemed to be in place, everything seemed fairly old. It is still ridiculously easy to get into the tunnel. Unfortunately it had water flowing out of it so we didn't actually make it into the tunnel due to improper footwear. I think the good season to explore this tunnel is pretty much over for this year.

-Mojave
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Now... give me an air mattress and a good two inches water... Where does this come out at?
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Ace McStud
                Mojave Child
                • Feb 2008

Glad you guys got back okay, sucks that they're putting water through it now.

Originally posted by Mike
                Hey in the mean time with your site, feel free to continue to post what you got over here. It will be greatly appreciated by many users.
                Here's what I got so far, coincidentally my friends got this working just today:

Still a lot of work to do though.

Now... give me an air mattress and a good two inches water... Where does this come out at?

Almost exactly one mile from the entrance.

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Wow thats quite the tunnel! That would make one wild waterslide on an airmattress! I think me and the Fish need to go try it. I only trust the two of us with something that crazy. Mr. McStud might be up to par.. perhaps.

-Mojave
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Ace McStud
                    Mojave Child
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                    Wow thats quite the tunnel! That would make one wild waterslide on an airmattress! I think me and the Fish need to go try it. I only trust the two of us with something that crazy. Mr. McStud might be up to par.. perhaps.

-Mojave
                    Well it's only the one short section I think you could slide down at all, the rest is almost level.

As for this suicide attempt you're trying to get people in on, well, my participation will vary according to my blood alcohol level.

Comment

• Mike
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

Haha I hear that. :P Maybe this summer...
                      -Fish
                      Mojave Mine Team
                      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Andycapt
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Jul 2008

Almost exactly one mile from the entrance.
                        Maybe I missed it, but where is this Twilight Tunnel? I'd like to go check it out.

The marker in that map looked like it was in the middle of Center Street adjacent to the Alberstons parking lot. I know that park right there use to have some sort of canal on the east side of it with a tunnel going under Center Street, but its been paved over for years now.

Comment

• Mike
                          Administrator
                          True Mojave
                          • Sep 2007

Huh ya that was just a generic provo address.

Here is the correct one

-Fish
                          Mojave Mine Team
                          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Yep, thats the entrance alright! And Mikes map even shows you where to park!
                            -Stuart Burgess
                            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                            Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• Del Gue
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Jul 2008

do it on big wheels, we did when I was younger. Days long since gone, the big wheel reference should give you a clue of how long ago.....lol.
                              Don't speak unless you can improve the silence. old fisherman saying

Comment

Working...