X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ace McStud
    Mojave Child
    • Feb 2008

Green River Missile Base

Last summer I went on a camping trip to Goblin Valley and got some of the best pictures I've ever taken, but also manage to convince my friends to take me on a small side trip to an abandoned missile/sounding rocket base that had been incorrectly labeled as "the new Area 51"* by Popular Mechanics magazine.

We were surprised to find security for the base practically nonexistent, a radioactive waste dump on the premises and several large abandoned buildings.

The base is reasonably large and could provide several hours of exploration at least. There are not a lot of relics or artifacts left but a lot of buildings to snoop around in and plenty of ominous reminders about the work previously done there; such as signs warning of hazardous materials, explosives, where to find the disaster alarm, etc.

Here are some of the highlights I enjoyed:

Someone had written a poem on an old blackboard in one of the buildings. It reads:
    "About Green Buildings

I am an abandoned green building
    I stand here banging my doors and wait
    with a big radioactive pain in my ass

But what do I hear, it's the sound,
    the pitter patter of little vandals
    coming again to smash my glass
    and (unreadable) me

I'm sorry when they leave
    for then I'm left alone again
    doors banging in the wind
    my radioactive appendage
    throbbing upon my ass

I do this because someone
    had to keep you Americans safe

I don't mind"

We accidentally discovered one of the rooms we were in had decades prior been the security office for the base. There was a circuit panel for the alarm system that listed the names of the rooms in the facility. The large-sized version of this picture isn't very legible but some of the rooms include "Payload area #2", "Velocity package - bay assembly building", "Pyrotechnic bay", and "1st stage bay east".

My full gallery can be found here:
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow thats some pretty neat stuff! You can bet Stu and I will be all over this one. Locations like these are heaven to us. Do you have coordinates to it? We'll research it and plan a trip around here in the next couple months. Sounds like a lot was done at this locations. I'd love to get some history about it.

Good post by the way. Very informative and great photos. Always nice to have another photographer on board. Hope to see you at some of our photography events. We havn't done many lately due to the cold weather.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Found some interesting information on the Green River Missile Base, known officially as the Utah Launch Complex ( 38°58'22.69"N 110° 7'21.13"W @ 4200'). Its purpose was for testing of Athena and Pershing missiles. The complex was last used around 1974/1975, as has been in caretaker status ever since. The lack of No Tresspassing signs are an inviting call for exploration. The site has been a topic of great debate, called "The New Area 51" by Popular Mechanics. Green River Mayor Judy Ann Scott claims some "big military" helicopters landed there a little bit back. She has been known to be very secretive when the topic of the location ever comes up. There is a bit of good reading on the location in the links listed below. This is definatly a place we will be going.

More information can be found at

Other interesting coordinate includes (38°56'34.59"N 110° 4'33.80"W @ 4400').
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Wow.

This is awesome info Ace! Great to have you on board with Mojaveunderground! Yes, as Mike stated in a previous post I am very interested in investigating this one! I imagine there are lots of areas to explore there both above and below the surface. Lets plan an event and post it on the calendar. Ace please let us know when you can come with us and show us around. Great post by the way!

I think this location would be an awesome place to do some lightpainting!

-Mojave

Looks like another radioactive pile to do a jig on!
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Ace McStud
          Mojave Child
          • Feb 2008

Well I came back expecting to answer questions but it sounds like you guys know what you're doing when it comes to research.

If you're like me and somewhat interested in geology you might also want to kill some time checking out crystal geyser. Like the wiki says it is a rare example of a "soda pop" geyser which works more like a science-fair volcano than a typical geyser which is formed by geologically-superheated water. It's right next to the base, in fact you pass signs for crystal geyser on the way to the base.

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

We tend to enjoy our research. Stu and I talked a little bit about the geyser today. We have planned a trip down on March 28th and 29th, and possibly the 30th. The geyser is a planned stop along the way. Soda Pop... makes me want to drink it! Even if there is mild sulfuric acid in it... might make the flavor pop! We'd enjoy having you along, always nice to have somebody at lease somewhat familiar with an area.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Ace McStud
              Mojave Child
              • Feb 2008

I'd enjoy that too but life is a little hectic for me right now, starting a new job tomorrow actually, but I'll certainly try.

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Hey I hear ya. Just started another myself. Hate job changes. But come rain or shine, I'll be out there. Always.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Words Out

Well it looks like the fast Moving patrons of the MojaveUnderground have already planned and posted a trip to go visit this site.

The official date's are March 28th-29th, and still possibly the 30th.

If you are interested in:
                  Frisco
                  The Launch Site
                  Crystal Geyser
                  Meadow Hot Springs
                  Lincoln Mines
                  You should make sure to go on this trip! We have a full two days of exploration, camping, and relaxation planned!

-Mojave
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• tails
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Dec 2010

Just saw this posting. I recently visited the Green river complex. There is no secret base, like popular mechanics would have you believe. Its about 1/2 miles south of the Hwy. No locked gates, signs or radioactive sites. It consists of 3 seperate launch pads and the remains of 1 disassembled launch stand (the trusses). A heavily vandelized launch bunker and some scattered equip. And one equip hanger. There is one missile cover on wheels on the west pad, it used to roll over the missile so they could work on it when it was in the horizontal position. The others have long since been removed. Use caution when exploring, all the buildings have exposed insulation that is heavy with asbestos, so use a mask or don't disturb anything. Neat site.

Comment

• Joanne
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tails
                      Just saw this posting. I recently visited the Green river complex. There is no secret base, like popular mechanics would have you believe. Its about 1/2 miles south of the Hwy. No locked gates, signs or radioactive sites. It consists of 3 seperate launch pads and the remains of 1 disassembled launch stand (the trusses). A heavily vandelized launch bunker and some scattered equip. And one equip hanger. There is one missile cover on wheels on the west pad, it used to roll over the missile so they could work on it when it was in the horizontal position. The others have long since been removed. Use caution when exploring, all the buildings have exposed insulation that is heavy with asbestos, so use a mask or don't disturb anything. Neat site.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=413fd9f1e7
                      Hey, I've been to that gas station in Hanksville! Pretty neat place.

I like your KTM too. I have a KLR-650 that I like to putt around on.

Joanne
                      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• tails
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joanne
                        Originally posted by tails

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=413fd9f1e7
                        Hey, I've been to that gas station in Hanksville! Pretty neat place.

I like your KTM too. I have a KLR-650 that I like to putt around on.

Joanne
                        Thanks, yeah that KTM took me on a 1800 mile dualsport loop thru northern AZ, souther UT last Oct. Great bike. Yeah I camped in hanksville right across from that gas station. Its a neat little store.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

the official name for the area is "White Sands Missle base"
                          Its printed on the side of one of the buildings out there and on a fence that has gone down.

Comment

Working...