X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonbx
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2008

LBCC changes in passages?

I am trying to determine some of the changes to LBCC passages the last few years, decided the prior thread about the cave is getting way too long to read through effectively for new information. http://mojaveunderground.com/forum/s...ush-Creek-Cave

Quick summary of what I have for route finding so far in order to simplify future discussions of cave "route" and layout. Mostly describing the highlights because not everyone has seen any sort of map or sketch that includes the long accepted names, and there was some confusion early in prior threads about locations.

Looking downstream from the main riverbed, there is a massive hole in the cliff that the river runs down. This is the main cave, primarily accessed late fall through winter when there is a lower risk of water flow in the narrow cave passages.(Note that there is always a risk, and some preparation and precautions are warranted.) On the right side of the main opening is a large gated opening that is never locked, this has neat ice formations in the winter and in the back is full of logjams that have a couple deep pits under them somewhere.

Heading down the main cave there are some left side passages that lead into maze area, typically log jammed the last few years but a few go through to the Mushroom room, etc. Obvious route continues downstream to the "Window Room" which is unmistakable if there aren't logs or other things jammed in the large arch/window that has eroded through a tight switchback. This is followed by some areas in actual bedrock floor instead of cobbles, and several pools of water. Most notable pools are one I have been calling Spider Monkey pool lately because you can monkey around on the wall and stay dry, almost immediately afterward is the fabled "Corner Pool", which is a deeper plunge pool that if it is full is very difficult to keep your feet dry. Directly downstream below the Corner Pool on the left is a 3' diameter incoming passage from the Entrance Maze/Estuary, may or may not be plugged with logs.

Continuing downstream you pass through "Broadway" which is a very wide room (50-100 feet wide in places) with a solid bedrock floor layer that is easy walking and recognizably different than anything in that area.

Some more smaller passageway, often with logjams and crawling often required. Then you reach a junction coming in on the right. Both directions are about the same size passage currently. This is the junction with the Onyx passage, I'll describe both directions a short distance.

When you are coming down the main passage, if you continue left (actually almost straight ahead) you enter the "Glowing Stream" passage, which typically requires a crawl through a puddle, and may have a large tractor tire still wedged in it. This then leads to the very large "H room" and many different routes deeper in the cave.

From the junction if you go to the right you will be in the "Onyx Passage". This is a long winding passage with typically a lot of crawling. There is one known split off to the left about halfway, but has been jammed for years. Continuing through what is currently the obvious direction leads to some interesting eroded flowstone formations and a very large "Onyx Canyon" passage.

I'll leave the written/mental map at that, because it gets complicated after that.(Ok, even more complicated.) I'll try and get a few pictures or a basic sketch of the most notable landmarks added later.
  • jasonbx
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2008

Ok, hopefully we are now working more or less from the same outline of the first part of the cave. My current questions are:
    Has anyone been to either the Glowing Stream or Onyx Canyon in the last 6 months? How about last winter, and the winter before?

Two weeks ago we found the Glowing stream almost totally plugged. It appears from the earlier thread that Mojave folks were having to dig things open in 2008. http://mojaveunderground.com/forum/s...ush-Creek-Cave
    In 2009 people were describing the H room and Humming Passage, so it must have been open at that point. 2010-2011 season I have only been able to locate a few people who even went to the cave, and no one went very deep. A few weeks ago we found the Glowing Stream passage choked to less than a 6 inch airspace along the ceiling, and after 30 minutes of digging there was no end in sight, similar to 2008 description. So we gave up and will see what is open next fall after the runoff works on things.

As our alternative we went out to the Onyx Canyon passage. Just before we dumped into the large canyon we had to scramble up a narrow slot with a 45 degree slope of cobbles on the bottom. We found ourselves coming out of an opening probably 30+ feet off the floor, with a jagged ledge or two between us and the main Onyx Canyon floor. Very sketchy down climb, especially since there was not anywhere reasonable to attach a rope for quite a ways back. We chose to turn around at that point. It appears that this same ledge was encountered in 2009 by someone. Has anyone been to Onyx Canyon in the last few years that they dropped off this ledge? Or anyone know the last time they were there that they were able to get to the floor of Onyx Canyon? Years ago the Onyx Passage would have come in at closer to floor level. With the redirection that is currently involved, I'm sensing it could have been several years since anyone has looked around in there to see if any passages have opened up again.

Comment

• offroadcmpr
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Feb 2009

Back in February of 2009 I was in the cave. I remember that spot where you were able to stretch across the walls and get over the water. I remember getting to a point where there was a fork where the left one lead to a narrow windy passage that was about 2 feet deep of water. We did not want to get wet so we continued onto the right passage. There were a couple of guys who did go that way, but we didn't meet up with them again so I am not sure if they were stopped short. We eventually got to the 45 degree slope. I made it up, but it was a very tight fit, I am 6'5" with broad shoulders so I actually got wedged in there with the rock on my stomach, back and sides. I eventually figured out a way up it and got to the 30 foot ledge that you are talking about. We reached the same conclusion that you did; it was not worth the risk so deep back in the cave so we turned around and made our way back to the entrance.

It was a fun cave, but since I am tall and the whole cave it short, it was a very exhausting cave to do. Most of the time I was scuttling across the floor.

Attached are a couple of pictures from the ledge. It was the only place that seemed to have any kinds of formations.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jasonbx
        Mojave Child
        • Mar 2008

Congrats offroad, you have "scuttled" down the Onyx Passage and seen into Onyx Canyon. (I'm also tall, and all that crawling and low ceilings was brutal.) I'll have to get a couple of my pictures up, but I remember that exact eroded formation from your first pic.

So far you are the earliest person who described being up on that ledge with your post in the other thread. Dubious record, but worth knowing that the dropoff is currently the only option into that portion of the cave. Hopefully the lower opening clears out, we'll see what next year brings.

For the last several years, crawling through the 2' puddle in the Glowing Stream was the only way to get into the deeper cave. 2009 was a year that was open, so the guys you saw probably had the option to see more cave; could have been in there hours after you, or maybe hit the water and turned around and went home while you were in Onyx Passage.

My feedback so far sounds like it has been hit or miss if the glowing stream has been open, with at least two years in the last five being plugged.

Comment

Working...